Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing for 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 7,751 Times in 5,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    A lot of this will hinge on Donaldson. I'd like to see them extend him but my guess is that they don't.
    Nah... "It hinges on Vlad Jr" - Jimcanuck
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    Wonder how much Jay Bruce will get. I expect the Jays to target him as they apparently liked him a lot over the last 2 years.
    Could have had him for next to nothing last offseason. If we go based on what happened last offseason with FA sluggers, I think Bruce gets something along the lines of what Trumbo got (3yrs/37M), considering it's a weak market as well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Sign Bruce and Lynn.

Those 2 additions would make our offense and so better plus better seasons from jd, Travis, sanchez, makes us competitive (keeps attendance up) and allows the farm another year of growth.
    Win- win.

Replace Bautista with internal options.

Not sure what payroll will be and if Bruce and Lynn fit in. I've seen 13m and 18m speculated as their price, respectively.

Would love if the money we saved for trade deadline moves could be used toward next year
    I like Lynn, but he scares me if he moves to the AL, especially the AL East.

Thanks
    Would like to see the Jays go after a super-utility MI who you could give 400AB-450AB's without hesitation & who could rotate between 2B and SS on a regular basis with Travis and Tulo still in the picture. I've had enough of Ryan Goins and Darwin Barney.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysblue View Post
    Would like to see the Jays go after a super-utility MI who you could give 400AB-450AB's without hesitation & who could rotate between 2B and SS on a regular basis with Travis and Tulo still in the picture. I've had enough of Ryan Goins and Darwin Barney.
    Gurriel could be that guy

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinGregg For This Useful Post:

G-Snarls (08-30-2017),Spanky99 (08-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 853 Posts
    I don't think they'll do anything with Donaldson. No worries trade, no extension. Paralyzed to make any real decision. Here's to hoping I'm wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 903 Posts
    Most guys capable of giving you that will want + land starting gigs on another team. They either need to fill that role from within, or find someone who's never done it before with any success (and hope he can take a step forward)....Like say a Tim Beckham this year. Also a little unfair to rip Barney. He gave us 1.5 WAR in 306 PA's last year in that role, which was really solid.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Most guys capable of giving you that will want + land starting gigs on another team. They either need to fill that role from within, or find someone who's never done it before with any success (and hope he can take a step forward)....Like say a Tim Beckham this year. Also a little unfair to rip Barney. He gave us 1.5 WAR in 306 PA's last year in that role, which was really solid.
    Tim Beckham would have been a perfect fit IMO, though it's too late now. Can't believe Tampa gave him away for nothing. Gurriel is likely that guy at some point. Barney has given the Jays -0.8 WAR this season. He's alright as a bench option, though don't want to see him playing everyday. Obviously injuries to Travis and Tulo made that happen, though I just hope the Jays are better prepared heading into next season because I don't want to see Goins or Barney playing everyday again.

Not saying this would have made a difference in terms of nabbing the 2nd wildcard spot, though still pretty appalling why the team never went out to acquire a MI at the deadline considering how bad the AL Wildcard was this season and when they likely would have come cheap. Someone like a Jed Lowrie, Neil Walker, Zach Cozart, Tim Beckham etc. wouldn't have cost a whole lot in terms of prospect capital and would have been huge upgrades over Goins & Barney right now.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Key22 View Post
    With 2017 a bit of a train wreck. We head to 2018 with a new budget and some players coming off the books.

So what should the Jays be doing this off season? I will assume that Jose Bautista will not be resigned which should free up $20 million. Estrada and his $13 million also technically comes off the books though apparently they are discussing an extension. Some other minor role players off the books.

Unfortunately we have an untradeable albatross in the $20 million per year injury prone Tulo.

So it appears to me we have holes in the outfield, middle infield, starting rotation.
    *Can the Jays trade for help without trading any key prospects?
    *Can the Jays compete financially to land free agents that will actually help us?
    *Do the Jays have high quality MLB level prospects ready to fill in the missing pieces?
    ** Do the Jays try and extend Josh Donaldson, JA Happ, and/or Justin Smoak?

So I suppose it's a "what should they do?" versus "what do you think they will actually do?"
    I think Hernandez in RF, Alford in LF and Pompey as the 4th OF works for me. I say bye to Carrera because I do not like him as a player. Pompey IMO has way more potential. But I get that Carrera has +WAR.

For the infield, status quo pretty much. I guess you keep Morales as the DH because you have to. Maybe get rid of both Barney and Goins and use someone like Gurriel as the Travis backup. For *when* he gets hurt.

I'd like the Jays to offer Anderson a 2-year deal, and try to keep Estrada. Anderson and Biagini can be swing man, depending how they look out of ST.

The bullpen is actually kid of decent.

Of course I'd be open to signing an impact free agent SP, or trading for a +WAR second baseman. Maybe 1-2 impact bullpen arms.

I'd try to extend JD 5-years, including arb 4. But I do not know if JD would do that.

Thanks
    Tim Beckham would have been a perfect fit IMO, though it's too late now. Can't believe Tampa gave him away for nothing. Gurriel is likely that guy at some point. Barney has given the Jays -0.8 WAR this season. He's alright as a bench option, though don't want to see him playing everyday. Obviously injuries to Travis and Tulo made that happen, though I just hope the Jays are better prepared heading into next season because I don't want to see Goins or Barney playing everyday again.

Not saying this would have made a difference in terms of nabbing the 2nd wildcard spot, though still pretty appalling why the team never went out to acquire a MI at the deadline considering how bad the AL Wildcard was this season and when they likely would have come cheap. Someone like a Jed Lowrie, Neil Walker, Zach Cozart, Tim Beckham etc. wouldn't have cost a whole lot in terms of prospect capital and would have been huge upgrades over Goins & Barney right now.
    This whole argument is incredibly flawed.

1. Before their breakouts this season, Zach Cozart and Tim Beckham would have only been a mild upgrade (if any) from Barney (both are the type of guy I'm talking about that you'd take a shot at and hope he takes a step forward. You now have to find the "next" guy to do that).

2. Neil Walker is a starter in MLB. You're not trading for a guy making $17M to be a bench player (especially since he can't play SS).

3. Jed Lowrie might be your best example, but prior to this season you would have been trading for a guy who's set to make $6.5M, coming off a -0.8 WAR season when you already have Barney making $2.9M coming off a 1.5 WAR season. Oh and he can't really play SS either.

As I said, if you want to find a better utility IFer for the 2018 season, you're looking to find the next Tim Beckham or Zack Cozart. That player is probably coming off a failed season or two with a team giving up on him. You have to trade for that guy and then hope he makes significant improvement. Or you could be looking for someone coming off a bad season, who's still owed some dough. Again, a risky move. These guys are not easy to find. The sure things are either on WS contending teams, or they are starters on other teams (or looking to be if they are a FA).

Thanks
    This whole argument is incredibly flawed.

1. Before their breakouts this season, Zach Cozart and Tim Beckham would have only been a mild upgrade (if any) from Barney (both are the type of guy I'm talking about that you'd take a shot at and hope he takes a step forward. You now have to find the "next" guy to do that).

2. Neil Walker is a starter in MLB. You're not trading for a guy making $17M to be a bench player (especially since he can't play SS).

3. Jed Lowrie might be your best example, but prior to this season you would have been trading for a guy who's set to make $6.5M, coming off a -0.8 WAR season when you already have Barney making $2.9M coming off a 1.5 WAR season. Oh and he can't really play SS either.

As I said, if you want to find a better utility IFer for the 2018 season, you're looking to find the next Tim Beckham or Zack Cozart. That player is probably coming off a failed season or two with a team giving up on him. You have to trade for that guy and then hope he makes significant improvement. Or you could be looking for someone coming off a bad season, who's still owed some dough. Again, a risky move. These guys are not easy to find. The sure things are either on WS contending teams, or they are starters on other teams (or looking to be if they are a FA).
    I said the the Jays should have looked to acquire one of those guys at the DEADLINE this season! So no, my argument is not incredibly flawed.

Knowing both Tulo & Travis were gone for the year, it wouldn't have hurt the Jays long term by trading for one of those guys considering the price tag was pretty cheap. They would have been significant upgrades over Goins, Barney & Refs for the rest of the season. Jays at one point two weeks ago were only 3GB of a Wildcard spot.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Nah... "It hinges on Vlad Jr" - Jimcanuck
    I never said that, asswipe

Thanks
    I said the the Jays should have looked to acquire one of those guys at the DEADLINE this season! So no, my argument is not incredibly flawed.

Knowing both Tulo & Travis were gone for the year, it wouldn't have hurt the Jays long term by trading for one of those guys considering the price tag was pretty cheap. They would have been significant upgrades over Goins, Barney & Refs for the rest of the season. Jays at one point two weeks ago were only 3GB of a Wildcard spot.
    Wat? Why would the Jays acquire Neil Walker, who's owed another $4.7M this year and is a FA at the end of the year when we're not in the playoff hunt? The Reds would rightfully ask for a ton for Cozart, who's putting up a 4.3 WAR season. Beckham? Sure, although he's gone on an artificial tear (.449 BABIP) with the O's and clearly TB fucked that one up. Lowrie - meh, whatever, career 101 wRC+ hitter who'll be 34 next year, can't play SS and will be owed $6M if you want him to be your backup IF in 2018 (while you'd still need someone to backup SS).

Thanks
    Thanked 7,751 Times in 5,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    I never said that, asswipe
    Mmmkay...
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    Wat? Why would the Jays acquire Neil Walker, who's owed another $4.7M this year and is a FA at the end of the year when we're not in the playoff hunt? The Reds would rightfully ask for a ton for Cozart, who's putting up a 4.3 WAR season. Beckham? Sure, although he's gone on an artificial tear (.449 BABIP) with the O's and clearly TB fucked that one up. Lowrie - meh, whatever, career 101 wRC+ hitter who'll be 34 next year, can't play SS and will be owed $6M if you want him to be your backup IF in 2018 (while you'd still need someone to backup SS).
    The Mets would have eaten most of the $ remaining on Walker's contract, which they did when they moved him to the Brewers. Cozart is a FA after 2017 as well and likely the Reds don't offer ARB on him, so they technically will lose him for nothing. I don't see how the Reds would have been in a position to ask a "ton" for him. Beckham has always shown flashes of decent pop and even before his tear, would have been a huge upgrade over Goins & Barney.

Jays were 3 GB of a playoff spot two weeks ago. Like I said, not sure it would have made a difference now though there is no denying that adding one of those players would have been significant upgrades over Goins & Barney over this last month and it wouldn't have cost them much via trade. Even if the Jays missed the playoffs, they get to evaluate a player over the next two months and who they could have possibly brought back for next season.

Thanks
    The Mets would have eaten most of the $ remaining on Walker's contract, which they did when they moved him to the Brewers. Cozart is a FA after 2017 as well and likely the Reds don't offer ARB on him, so they technically will lose him for nothing. I don't see how the Reds would have been in a position to ask a "ton" for him. Beckham has always shown flashes of decent pop and even before his tear, would have been a huge upgrade over Goins & Barney.

Jays were 3 GB of a playoff spot two weeks ago. Like I said, not sure it would have made a difference now though there is no denying that adding one of those players would have been significant upgrades over Goins & Barney over this last month and it wouldn't have cost them much via trade. Even if the Jays missed the playoffs, they get to evaluate a player over the next two months and who they could have possibly brought back for next season.

I'm going to disengage now thanks.