Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing for 2018

Thanks

Preparing for 2018

With 2017 a bit of a train wreck. We head to 2018 with a new budget and some players coming off the books.

So what should the Jays be doing this off season? I will assume that Jose Bautista will not be resigned which should free up $20 million. Estrada and his $13 million also technically comes off the books though apparently they are discussing an extension. Some other minor role players off the books.

Unfortunately we have an untradeable albatross in the $20 million per year injury prone Tulo.

So it appears to me we have holes in the outfield, middle infield, starting rotation.
    *Can the Jays trade for help without trading any key prospects?
    *Can the Jays compete financially to land free agents that will actually help us?
    *Do the Jays have high quality MLB level prospects ready to fill in the missing pieces?
    ** Do the Jays try and extend Josh Donaldson, JA Happ, and/or Justin Smoak?

So I suppose it's a "what should they do?" versus "what do you think they will actually do?"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,103 Times in 1,311 Posts
    A lot of this will hinge on Donaldson. I'd like to see them extend him but my guess is that they don't.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (08-30-2017)

Thanks
    Work out what to do with JD (he has just as big an impact on this as the FO - he may not want to sign an extension).

Trade one of Morales, Pearce or Smoak.

Promote Teoscar, Alford, and Gurriel.

Trade Pompey while he still has a little bit of value.

Sign one good free agent starter (Alex Cobb? Cheap buy low candidate).

Hope that Travis, Sanchez and Donaldson (if he's still here) are fully fit.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,751 Times in 5,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Key22 View Post
    We head to 2018 with a new budget and some players coming off the books.
    $76,303,571... *Totals include potential buyouts and not option total
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    Donaldson is the linchpin.
    If he resigns, then I suspect they will try to add older MLB players (on short contracts) ala WS winning RedSox team through free agency and trades.
    If no Donaldson deal goes through, then Liriano type deals and baseball trades of high minor/0-6 players to try and coincide with Vladdy and Bo's arrivals

Thanks
    Thanked 12,292 Times in 7,368 Posts
    I'm really hoping they trade JD for some impact prospects in the offseason. I just don't see enough here to make them a WS contender in 2018. That said, I expect JD to be retained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,905 Times in 2,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I'm really hoping they trade JD for some impact prospects in the offseason. I just don't see enough here to make them a WS contender in 2018. That said, I expect JD to be retained.
    What team with money would be willing to trade for him and maybe pre-sign an extension? We won't get as much if he's just being obtained for 1 year at 22M+ which he'll probably get in arb-3.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Sign Bruce and Lynn.

Those 2 additions would make our offense and so better plus better seasons from jd, Travis, sanchez, makes us competitive (keeps attendance up) and allows the farm another year of growth.
    Win- win.

Replace Bautista with internal options.

Not sure what payroll will be and if Bruce and Lynn fit in. I've seen 13m and 18m speculated as their price, respectively.

Would love if the money we saved for trade deadline moves could be used toward next year

Thanks
    Thanked 5,408 Times in 3,249 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Boston, Yankees, and Rays good and young teams.
    Time to rebuild
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Asia's suicide rate is very high; I'll try to raise it a little bit next month.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Angrioter For This Useful Post:

Brownie19 (08-30-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrioter View Post
    Time to rebuild
    Yeah

No slight re tooling is going to make this team a serious contender in 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrioter View Post
    Time to rebuild
    The Rays? You're joking right? No way they acquire an ageing star to extend him on a high salary.

We can probably rule out the Red Sox, too now that Devers has started his MLB career well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Yeah

No slight re tooling is going to make this team a serious contender in 2018
    If we reran this season with exactly the same players, but Travis, Donaldson and Sanchez had no injuries, we'd make the playoffs easily.

That doesn't mean that'll happen next year, but it's an exaggeration to write us off even before Vlad and Bo potentially get here in 2019.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    The Rays? You're joking right? No way they acquire an ageing star to extend him on a high salary.

We can probably rule out the Red Sox, too now that Devers has started his MLB career well.
    I'm pretty sure he wasn't suggesting those teams as landing spots for Donaldson....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pendleton For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (08-30-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    If we reran this season with exactly the same players, but Travis, Donaldson and Sanchez had no injuries, we'd make the playoffs easily.

That doesn't mean that'll happen next year, but it's an exaggeration to write us off even before Vlad and Bo potentially get here in 2019.
    Agree, this could have easily been a wild card team this year with some better luck in terms of health

But with an aging core of Donaldson, Tulo, Martin, Morales and Bautista it dosn't look great for 2018 when the Red Sox and Yankees have a young progressing core

The FO is in an uncomfortable spot this off season

Only Sanchez, Stroman, Osuna, Travis and maybe Pillar look like players who will still be young-ish and above average by the time Vlad and Bo get here and hopefully stick. Donaldson may or may not decline significantly before that and Martin/Tulo obviously aren't likely to hold up well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Wonder how much Jay Bruce will get. I expect the Jays to target him as they apparently liked him a lot over the last 2 years.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,483 Times in 2,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Agree, this could have easily been a wild card team this year with some better luck in terms of health

But with an aging core of Donaldson, Tulo, Martin, Morales and Bautista it dosn't look great for 2018 when the Red Sox and Yankees have a young progressing core

The FO is in an uncomfortable spot this off season

Only Sanchez, Stroman, Osuna, Travis and maybe Pillar look like players who will still be young-ish and above average by the time Vlad and Bo get here and hopefully stick. Donaldson may or may not decline significantly before that and Martin/Tulo obviously aren't likely to hold up well.
    Bautista isn't/won't be part of the core for 2018. Donaldson and Martin are still elite, the other two are sunk costs though so I agree there. The team really isn't in all that bad of a position. Alford and Teoscar should be ready for the show by next year, maybe Tellez turns things around, maybe he doesn't; Gurriel, SRF, Danny Jansen, Ryan Borucko, Reese McGuire (?) could all be knocking at the door for role-playing time at least. It's highly unlikely any of these guys will impact the team like a Devers or Gary Sanchez, but that's still a good amount of young, potentially not useless talent to complement the likes of JD, Martin, Stroman, Sanchez (not sold on him yet), Osuna and maybe Travis.

I think the FO aren't in as big a pickle as one might think. The Red Sox will be the team to beat in the East and it won't be close, but there's a lot of uncertainty in the rest of the division and the potential wild card teams. Playoffs are well within reach, the biggest obstacle will be securing depth for both starters and position players.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orgfiller For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (08-30-2017),spats (08-31-2017)