Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Preparing for 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SaskJaysFan_2 View Post
    ~ 8 wins right there. That's a big leap. Assuming we need 15 more wins to get to playoffs in 2018.

Just need ~ 7 wins from other places. Cobb would get us 1-2 more wins. A decent infielder at 2B would get us 3-4 more wins than 2017, whether that is Dee or Devon. People like to slam this roster but really a few twists and we're right back in the thick of things.
    You sure are a glass half full guy. Sanchez was the pitcher battling the injury bug all year. Next season it will be a different pitcher, or two.

~7 wins and a whole LOT of luck, you mean.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    Doesn't really work like that. Better to just look at overall projections of win totals given the roster and work your way from there. What happened last year will weigh into projections but adding wins from players isn't as easy as adding the wins from last year to next year.
    You can look at it as a composite, or break it down to make it more granular. I like to look at groups, and the WAR for each group in 2017 and what I hope or think may be the case for 2018. But I'm no expert. I really like stats, and they are super interesting if you break them down in different ways. But I know a lot of you are real metrics masters. I just started getting into the advanced metrics thing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SaskJaysFan_2 For This Useful Post:

P2F (10-05-2017)

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    With Stroman, Sanchez, Cobb (I pray), Happ and Estrada you have 5 decent starters. 3-4 should pitch most of the season.

Biagini and maybe Anderson, and that guy in AAA who seems decent (name escapes me) would be good 6-8 SPs. Koehler if he is brought back would also be great depth.

To sign Anderson and Koehler it might take $8M+ AAV though. I am not sure that's possible. Koehler goes to arb4 for 2018 and should command at least $5M. Anderson showed enough promise to probably earn $3M+. He's only 29.