Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Shohei Otani signs with Angels

Thanks
    Thanked 7,919 Times in 4,939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    "Rosenthal: The Ohtani sweepstakes has frustrated many teams in baseball, even before a winner is picked."

"Calling Shohei Ohtani’s rapid-fire schedule eyewash would be premature since no one knows what the Japanese star actually is thinking. But predictably, some people in baseball are suspicious of the recruitment process, fearing Ohtani, 23, already had made up his mind."

Damn, Rosenthal is going to get roasted on this forum for saying that.
    Maybe he had made up his mind, but it was smart to play the field to assure himself of his decision. I have no issues with him doing that.

I just hate this tryout-type bullshit he's doing. Listen to what all the teams have to say and then just name a fucking team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,927 Times in 2,667 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Why the fuck are the Twins of all teams trading away bonus money for shitty prospects?
    Really though

Most years, 2M in bonus pool probably buys better prospects than these I would think.

Thanks
    I really want the Ohtani and Stanton deals done and over with

4. The Following User Says Thank You to G-Snarls For This Useful Post:

Boxcar (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,919 Times in 4,939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    I really want the Ohtani and Stanton deals done and over with
    Same, more Ohtani because I doubt Stanton is a first domino to fall or anything...but fuck man, clearly you know where you want to go so fuck off and decide already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    All black people have an obligation to their own people to not further their own systematic oppression. Go fuck yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,778 Times in 4,262 Posts
    Yeah seriously, enough with the Bachelor bullshit just sign already.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,614 Times in 7,541 Posts
    So MLB teams feel inconvenienced by a guy who would get over $200M on the open market but will instead sign for a $5M bonus and spend three years earning the minimum, all because MLB's rules are absurd? Please excuse me while I shed some tears over the overtime they've had to pay to pursue him.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Brownie19 (12-07-2017),Deadpool (12-08-2017),jays4life19 (12-07-2017),KingKat (12-07-2017),P2F (12-07-2017),SirBJay (12-07-2017),Spanky99 (12-07-2017),THANOS (12-07-2017)

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 690 Posts
    If Ohtani only had 7 teams in mind from the beginning (the ones located on the west coast + spring training location in Arizona), then why would the other 23 teams care about the surplus value he would provide? They wouldn't be able to benefit from it. If they were asked to spend time/money/resources on building a presentation for him, only to find out that he never had any intention of signing with them, then of course they will be annoyed by it. Why would they care if he's taking a huge pay cut by coming over two years earlier than he could have? Now he has narrowed it down to 7 teams and still playing the Bachelor.

I don't know why it's difficult to understand why teams would be annoyed by this. What Ohtani is doing makes sense FOR HIM. It doesn't mean everyone else will just be happy for him. Front office people are human.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,545 Times in 2,356 Posts
    If Ohtani only had 7 teams in mind from the beginning (the ones located on the west coast + spring training location in Arizona), then why would the other 23 teams care about the surplus value he would provide? They wouldn't be able to benefit from it. If they were asked to spend time/money/resources on building a presentation for him, only to find out that he never had any intention of signing with them, then of course they will be annoyed by it. Why would they care if he's taking a huge pay cut by coming over two years earlier than he could have? Now he has narrowed it down to 7 teams and still playing the Bachelor.

I don't know why it's difficult to understand why teams would be annoyed by this. What Ohtani is doing makes sense FOR HIM. It doesn't mean everyone else will just be happy for him. Front office people are human.
    Because people are capable of changing their minds. A simple cost/benefit analysis would scream you make the damn presentation even if it's less than a 1 percent chance

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jays4life19 For This Useful Post:

KingKat (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 966 Posts

Holy fist fuck - are we still discussing this? If teams were annoyed by it, they could have declined the offer from Ohtani (they are big boys like that eh?) MOVE ON

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

KingKat (12-07-2017),MikeM (12-07-2017),P2F (12-07-2017),Spanky99 (12-07-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    Because people are capable of changing their minds.
    It's become readily apparent this is only true for a certain percentage of the population.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,614 Times in 7,541 Posts

Even if you think you have a fraction of a percent of a chance at landing him, isn't the $100M+ of surplus value sufficient reward for having a senior employee and a few interns spend a couple weeks working full time on an information package?
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Also, if I'm moving to Japan and know little about it, I need more than a few meetings and a couple of days before I can make up my mind where I want to go

Have to think about it from his perspective, he's young and has maybe never even been to North America before this week

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G-Snarls For This Useful Post:

Pendleton (12-07-2017),Spanky99 (12-07-2017)

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Even if you think you have a fraction of a percent of a chance at landing him, isn't the $100M+ of surplus value sufficient reward for having a senior employee and a few interns spend a couple weeks working full time on an information package?
    Well, that's the thing. I agree that I would have done the presentation anyway, it would have been foolish not to, but some teams may have thought they actually had a chance since he never specified that he had a particular preference. It only became known that he preferred location after he started eliminating teams from contention. So in that sense, I could see why teams would be annoyed and feel like they wasted their time. It isn't about Ohtani being wrong about how he is doing anything. He has every right to play this process whichever way he feels comfortable with. My point was simply that if I was someone like Brian Cashman who had everything Ohtani apparently wanted based on what his agent was asking for, and then found out Ohtani wouldn't have considered New York regardless of the presentation, then I would have felt a little cheated (apparently Ohtani's reps were trying to get him to consider NY but he refused, at least I remember reading that). Now you can say any GM who felt annoyed is a baby, and that's fine too. But that's a pretty logical reaction to this process looking at it from a front office perspective.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Holy fist fuck - are we still discussing this? If teams were annoyed by it, they could have declined the offer from Ohtani (they are big boys like that eh?) MOVE ON
    Considering Rosenthal just made an article about it, seemed pretty relevant to bring it up. It is a fucking annoying process. It deserves to be called out. Ohtani needs to make up his mind and we can all move on.

Thanks
    Considering Rosenthal just made an article about it, seemed pretty relevant to bring it up. It is a fucking annoying process. It deserves to be called out. Ohtani needs to make up his mind and we can all move on.
    Reports write awful articles on pointless topics to appease general fans every single day. The topic has also been discussed at length on here. You could have just posted the link and said "ha - the little bow tie wearing midget agrees with me" and moved on.....but noooo - you had to press on with another repetitive posts about this.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-07-2017)

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Ohtani wants to look around before he gifts some team $100M in surplus value. No single team is legally required to pursue him. It's up to them whether they think the time is worth that much surplus value. Evidently it is. Now they are crying. Oh well.

Seems like a pretty straight forward situation to me.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeM For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-07-2017)