Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Shohei Otani signs with Angels

Thanks
    Thanked 1,529 Times in 926 Posts
    At least new york is taking it well.......

Thanks
    Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy225 View Post
    The cubs are not a small market or on the west coast.... WHAT THE FUCK
    Cubs were the only team that agreed to put a "Schoolgirl Panties" vending machine in the locker room...

datswasist.gif
    Deadpool is Right counter: 39
    Follow Blamethrower on Spotify

Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 755 Posts

Wow, didn't realize only chickens hate large crowds and poor air quality.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,529 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    Wow, didn't realize only chickens hate large crowds and poor air quality.
    I overreacting media coverage that is going to shit over everything you do lol

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 689 Posts

Well, practically everyone thought the Yankees were going to get him, probably the Yankees themselves as well until they met with him. The fans set themselves up for disappointment. What we are seeing now is just the resulting butthurt.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    So all the finalists have ST in Arizona? Damn, Ohtani is choosing teams because he doesn't want the ST bus rides. Soft!

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Anyone know what the Blue Jays did to pursue him? I know it was probably on the cheap, maybe an email or something?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
    Anyone know what the Blue Jays did to pursue him? I know it was probably on the cheap, maybe an email or something?
    Pfft, no you dont.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SirBJay For This Useful Post:

Abomination (12-04-2017),Deadpool (12-05-2017),jays4life19 (12-04-2017),Spanky99 (12-05-2017),THANOS (12-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,508 Posts
    Apparently they produced a video highlighting Toronto which they were planning to show him in a presentation and booked with an agency who would take him around Toronto showcasing the city etc..

If he wasn't ever going to go to the east coast why would he even have clubs spend the time and effort to go to the lengths they did to try to recruit him. I bet those FO aren't exactly pleased with him when they could have spent their resources on other projects.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Some of you guys are making way too big of a deal out of this.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P2F For This Useful Post:

BTS (12-04-2017),jays4life19 (12-04-2017),Spanky99 (12-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,539 Times in 2,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    Apparently they produced a video highlighting Toronto which they were planning to show him in a presentation and booked with an agency who would take him around Toronto showcasing the city etc..

If he wasn't ever going to go to the east coast why would he even have clubs spend the time and effort to go to the lengths they did to try to recruit him. I bet those FO aren't exactly pleased with him when they could have spent their resources on other projects.
    Because why not?

If i'm going to a restaurant and i'm 99% sure i'm going to order the steak i'm still going to look at the menu to see what else it offers.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jays4life19 For This Useful Post:

KingKat (12-05-2017)

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,592 Times in 1,929 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post

Yeah, if he already knew beforehand that he wasn't going to go to certain cities no matter what they showed him, he should have just told them that. I wouldn't blame a few front offices for being a little upset at being strung along, the Yankees in particular. That said, maybe there were some misunderstandings between himself and his agents or something.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,592 Times in 1,929 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    Because why not?

If i'm going to a restaurant and i'm 99% sure i'm going to order the steak i'm still going to look at the menu to see what else it offers.
    True, but you don't make the restaurant print out a special menu just for you in doing so. Maybe you ask the waiter/waitress what the special of the day is or something.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P2F View Post
    Some of you guys are making way too big of a deal out of this.
    Not really. All that is being said by some is that this seemed like a huge waste of time and resources for someone who had only a specific set of teams in mind based on location (west coast and ST facilities in Arizona). I mean, teams lost nothing to talk to him, so obviously they would have done it anyway, but the off season basically died because of this. Teams could have tried to do other things had they known about his intentions beforehand, or other FA's may have already signed by now, etc. Instead teams were asked to present english and Japanese essays on the benefits of their player development, medical staff, plans on how they will use him, etc, only to find out Ohtani didn't care about any of those things compared to location. I'd be annoyed if I was a GM of a team like the Yankees, but that's just me.

No one is being triggered here. It's not a big deal at all. It's more annoying that this stunted the off season and made November boring as hell.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Not really. All that is being said by some is that this seemed like a huge waste of time and resources for someone who had only a specific set of teams in mind based on location (west coast and ST facilities in Arizona). I mean, teams lost nothing to talk to him, so obviously they would have done it anyway, but the off season basically died because of this. Teams could have tried to do other things had they known about his intentions beforehand, or other FA's may have already signed by now, etc. Instead teams were asked to present english and Japanese essays on the benefits of their player development, medical staff, plans on how they will use him, etc, only to find out Ohtani didn't care about any of those things compared to location. I'd be annoyed if I was a GM of a team like the Yankees, but that's just me.

No one is being triggered here. It's not a big deal at all. It's more annoying that this stunted the off season and made November boring as hell.
    I very much doubt that any competent GM was putting all his eggs in the Ohtani basket without looking at all possibilities. Yes,it's possible this whole scenario has held up signings of players because teams wanted to know how it would all shake out, but big names generally don't sign this early in the offseason anyways and theres almost always 1 guy in every offseason that has this effect, whether it's a huge name FA or international target

And if you think this was a slow November wait till next offseason when some guy named Harper is available along with Machado.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    Because why not?

Its more like having the restaurant bringing in all of these special foods specifically for you to have and then you sit down and say well I'm Vegan so I'll just have a caeser salad.

They spent all of these resources trying to cater to you but then you deciding you weren't going to go there no matter how good the presentation was.