Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 465 to 480 of 647

Thread: Shohei Otani signs with Angels

  1. #465
    All Star Sammy225's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,799
    Thanks
    313
    Thanked 1,537 Times in 932 Posts
    At least new york is taking it well.......


  2. #466
    Moderator Deadpool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario
    Posts
    7,517
    Thanks
    10,892
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy225 View Post
    The cubs are not a small market or on the west coast.... WHAT THE FUCK
    Cubs were the only team that agreed to put a "Schoolgirl Panties" vending machine in the locker room...

    datswasist.gif
    Deadpool is Right counter: 39
    Follow Blamethrower on Spotify

  3. #467
    All Star Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,996
    Thanks
    1,404
    Thanked 1,498 Times in 858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy225 View Post
    At least new york is taking it well.......

    Wow, didn't realize only chickens hate large crowds and poor air quality.

  4. #468
    All Star Sammy225's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,799
    Thanks
    313
    Thanked 1,537 Times in 932 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    Wow, didn't realize only chickens hate large crowds and poor air quality.
    I overreacting media coverage that is going to shit over everything you do lol

  5. #469
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,925
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy225 View Post
    At least new york is taking it well.......

    Well, practically everyone thought the Yankees were going to get him, probably the Yankees themselves as well until they met with him. The fans set themselves up for disappointment. What we are seeing now is just the resulting butthurt.

  6. #470
    Blue Chip Prospect MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,321
    Thanks
    128
    Thanked 601 Times in 326 Posts
    So all the finalists have ST in Arizona? Damn, Ohtani is choosing teams because he doesn't want the ST bus rides. Soft!

  7. #471
    Blue Chip Prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    885
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 60 Times in 50 Posts
    Anyone know what the Blue Jays did to pursue him? I know it was probably on the cheap, maybe an email or something?

  8. #472
    All Star SirBJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Maple
    Posts
    3,654
    Thanks
    2,808
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
    Anyone know what the Blue Jays did to pursue him? I know it was probably on the cheap, maybe an email or something?
    Pfft, no you dont.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SirBJay For This Useful Post:

    Abomination (12-04-2017),Deadpool (12-05-2017),jays4life19 (12-04-2017),Spanky99 (12-05-2017),THANOS (12-04-2017)

  10. #473
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,822
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,532 Posts
    Apparently they produced a video highlighting Toronto which they were planning to show him in a presentation and booked with an agency who would take him around Toronto showcasing the city etc..

    If he wasn't ever going to go to the east coast why would he even have clubs spend the time and effort to go to the lengths they did to try to recruit him. I bet those FO aren't exactly pleased with him when they could have spent their resources on other projects.

  11. #474
    DONOR P2F's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    6,173
    Thanks
    3,476
    Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Some of you guys are making way too big of a deal out of this.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P2F For This Useful Post:

    BTS (12-04-2017),jays4life19 (12-04-2017),Spanky99 (12-05-2017)

  13. #475
    DONOR jays4life19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    14,835
    Thanks
    3,325
    Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,741 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    Apparently they produced a video highlighting Toronto which they were planning to show him in a presentation and booked with an agency who would take him around Toronto showcasing the city etc..

    If he wasn't ever going to go to the east coast why would he even have clubs spend the time and effort to go to the lengths they did to try to recruit him. I bet those FO aren't exactly pleased with him when they could have spent their resources on other projects.
    Because why not?

    If i'm going to a restaurant and i'm 99% sure i'm going to order the steak i'm still going to look at the menu to see what else it offers.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to jays4life19 For This Useful Post:

    KingKat (12-05-2017)

  15. #476
    MVP
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    12,302
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 2,830 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    Apparently they produced a video highlighting Toronto which they were planning to show him in a presentation and booked with an agency who would take him around Toronto showcasing the city etc..

    If he wasn't ever going to go to the east coast why would he even have clubs spend the time and effort to go to the lengths they did to try to recruit him. I bet those FO aren't exactly pleased with him when they could have spent their resources on other projects.
    Yeah, if he already knew beforehand that he wasn't going to go to certain cities no matter what they showed him, he should have just told them that. I wouldn't blame a few front offices for being a little upset at being strung along, the Yankees in particular. That said, maybe there were some misunderstandings between himself and his agents or something.

  16. #477
    MVP
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    12,302
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 2,830 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    Because why not?

    If i'm going to a restaurant and i'm 99% sure i'm going to order the steak i'm still going to look at the menu to see what else it offers.
    True, but you don't make the restaurant print out a special menu just for you in doing so. Maybe you ask the waiter/waitress what the special of the day is or something.

  17. #478
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,925
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P2F View Post
    Some of you guys are making way too big of a deal out of this.
    Not really. All that is being said by some is that this seemed like a huge waste of time and resources for someone who had only a specific set of teams in mind based on location (west coast and ST facilities in Arizona). I mean, teams lost nothing to talk to him, so obviously they would have done it anyway, but the off season basically died because of this. Teams could have tried to do other things had they known about his intentions beforehand, or other FA's may have already signed by now, etc. Instead teams were asked to present english and Japanese essays on the benefits of their player development, medical staff, plans on how they will use him, etc, only to find out Ohtani didn't care about any of those things compared to location. I'd be annoyed if I was a GM of a team like the Yankees, but that's just me.

    No one is being triggered here. It's not a big deal at all. It's more annoying that this stunted the off season and made November boring as hell.

  18. #479
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    7,342
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Not really. All that is being said by some is that this seemed like a huge waste of time and resources for someone who had only a specific set of teams in mind based on location (west coast and ST facilities in Arizona). I mean, teams lost nothing to talk to him, so obviously they would have done it anyway, but the off season basically died because of this. Teams could have tried to do other things had they known about his intentions beforehand, or other FA's may have already signed by now, etc. Instead teams were asked to present english and Japanese essays on the benefits of their player development, medical staff, plans on how they will use him, etc, only to find out Ohtani didn't care about any of those things compared to location. I'd be annoyed if I was a GM of a team like the Yankees, but that's just me.

    No one is being triggered here. It's not a big deal at all. It's more annoying that this stunted the off season and made November boring as hell.
    I very much doubt that any competent GM was putting all his eggs in the Ohtani basket without looking at all possibilities. Yes,it's possible this whole scenario has held up signings of players because teams wanted to know how it would all shake out, but big names generally don't sign this early in the offseason anyways and theres almost always 1 guy in every offseason that has this effect, whether it's a huge name FA or international target

    And if you think this was a slow November wait till next offseason when some guy named Harper is available along with Machado.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  19. #480
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,822
    Thanks
    715
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    Because why not?

    If i'm going to a restaurant and i'm 99% sure i'm going to order the steak i'm still going to look at the menu to see what else it offers.
    Its more like having the restaurant bringing in all of these special foods specifically for you to have and then you sit down and say well I'm Vegan so I'll just have a caeser salad.

    They spent all of these resources trying to cater to you but then you deciding you weren't going to go there no matter how good the presentation was.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •