Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jose Bautista appreciation thread

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    There's a lack of appreciation in the guy's appreciation thread.

I'll tell you this; not many players have improved themselves as much as Bautista did in mid career. A lot of players, never given a fair shot and shuffled from one organization to another, might have given up, either completely or just in effort. He kept working hard, and when opportunity arrived, he became a star.

Bautista for (the catcher they traded from him; name escapes me) is a legendarily wonderful trade. What a player, what moments.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MiddleAgedJoker For This Useful Post:

L54 (09-19-2017),Omar (09-19-2017),Spanky99 (09-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,959 Times in 6,111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L54 View Post
    11-27-2015

Only two years old, but a sudden shift in philosophy from Jimbo.
    Rekt... 19.0
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 875 Posts
    How many WS did the Rays win under Friedman?
    That's the argument? How many WS did a team with no resources win?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    That's the argument? How many WS did a team with no resources win?
    Considering he proclaims that's how you win the WS, yes.
    Of course he can, but it's safe to assume Biagini will match Stroman's numbers over the next three years easily.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to L54 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (09-19-2017)

Thanks
    Considering he proclaims that's how you win the WS, yes.
    That's how you create sustainability and long term competitive baseball. There are far worse things than that...like two strong years then getting old and shitty fast.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,937 Posts
    That's how you create sustainability and long term competitive baseball. There are far worse things than that...like two strong years then getting old and shitty fast.
    It's been what, four years since the Rays made the playoffs? Eventually you also need to retain some guys and go for it, rather than trying to extract every penny by shipping guys out. The Rays have no choice due to payroll. It's not the perfect model you seem to think it is.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

L54 (09-19-2017),Spanky99 (09-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 976 Posts
    I respect the shit out of Jose. By studying the game and working his ass off, he became a phenomenal player - arguably the best hitter in baseball for a short period. He carried this franchise though bad times and then through the good times.

His HR v. Texas is something I'll never forget. I watched it with my 5 year old son, leap over the table, ran out into the street and screamed at the top of my lungs. That inning was unreal.

That said - I never liked his personality or the way he treated umpires and I don't think he deserves a statue.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Okay, but we aren't talking about sustainability and long term competitive baseball? We are talking about winning a WS.
    Of course he can, but it's safe to assume Biagini will match Stroman's numbers over the next three years easily.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    I respect the shit out of Jose. By studying the game and working his ass off, he became a phenomenal player - arguably the best hitter in baseball for a short period. He carried this franchise though bad times and then through the good times.

His HR v. Texas is something I'll never forget. I watched it with my 5 year old son, leap over the table, ran out into the street and screamed at the top of my lungs. That inning was unreal.

That said - I never liked his personality or the way he treated umpires and I don't think he deserves a statue.
    He's really cut down on the umpire stuff this year. I don't think any of us liked that nonsense.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (09-19-2017)

Thanks
    11-27-2015

Only two years old, but a sudden shift in philosophy from Jimbo.
    No change in philosophy. I had been calling for Jose to be traded for some time. That post was made in a thread debating extending JB and EE. If you arent going to trade him, then sure, talk extension. I was right on choosing EE over JB.

Thanks
    Okay, but we aren't talking about sustainability and long term competitive baseball? We are talking about winning a WS.
    No we are talking about winning a WS, and the way to do it is by fielding a consistently competitive team. Probability is, one of those years, the team stays healthy, a couple of guys have career years, and the team wins a WS.

The 'window' model that AA and the accountant pursued is a stupid approach. You've only got a short window of time where everything has to go right (health, performance, etc).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 767 Posts
    His peak was right up there with the best we've seen in a Jays uniform. He helped make baseball relevant in Toronto again and he'll always have that big iconic moment. We definitely should give him a proper send off, but I do hope this is it for him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pendleton For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (09-19-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    It's been what, four years since the Rays made the playoffs? Eventually you also need to retain some guys and go for it, rather than trying to extract every penny by shipping guys out. The Rays have no choice due to payroll. It's not the perfect model you seem to think it is.
    There's a balance. You don't turn every veteran into a young controllable asset, but you also have to have foresight and move some veteran pieces while they still have value.

Thanks
    Can you asshats namely JC... leave this out of an appreciation thread? We don't go B2B ALCS' without Jose, it was calculated FFS's.
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Can you asshats namely JC... leave this out of an appreciation thread? We don't go B2B ALCS' without Jose, it was calculated FFS's.
    Disagree with your premise. The Jays were strong enough to make both ALCS without Jose, without considering the contribution of the return from a Bautista trade.

Bautista was the face of the franchise for quite some time and EE may not have had the breakout he did without JB's influence. He will be remembered, but not missed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Disagree with your premise. The Jays were strong enough to make both ALCS without Jose, without considering the contribution of the return from a Bautista trade.

Bautista was the face of the franchise for quite some time and EE may not have had the breakout he did without JB's influence. He will be remembered, but not missed.
    Trip in traffic, asshole. Better? You're such a fucking idiot.