Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jose Bautista appreciation thread

Thanks
    Thanked 7,741 Times in 5,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    I guess it depends... he was negative WAR this year while hitting 28 HR.... that's not good. With his negative value on. .. everything that isn't hitting, he'd basically have to have a wrc+ of 115 to even be worth 1 WAR.
    1 WAR out of your DH is good now a days!
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,305 Posts
    I guess it depends... he was negative WAR this year while hitting 28 HR.... that's not good. With his negative value on. .. everything that isn't hitting, he'd basically have to have a wrc+ of 115 to even be worth 1 WAR.
    Oh don't get me wrong. I think he sucks and hated the signing the moment it was made. I just don't think we are going to get anything for him at all unless we pay for half of his deal or perhaps even more. Given that we are likely stuck with him I'd take him out of a 100% guaranteed starting role and let him scrap with Pearce for the DH AB's. In year 3 we might be able to buy him out or something then.

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Google is your friend...
    Maybe he wants some commentary... By no means do I want to disturb the fine regulars (or what is left of the fine regulars) of this board with a wall of text, so please, most of you, ignore it. However Mr. Rancher must want details that google would not easily provide. So the below wall of text is for Mr. Rancher, only.

He's striking out way more than he used to. In 2010 to 2016 he was about even 1-1 k-bb, with a few years with more walks than ks. This year it was 2-1.

Wow. That's a drastic difference, and obviously he fell off insanely in every single aspect of the game at age 36. For comparison, Nelson Cruz was great at 36 Frank Thomas was great (but injured) at 36 and almost won an MVP at 38. David 'Big Papi' Ortiz was great until 40. Barry Bonds was great at 36 and had amazing years until 40. Dave Winfield was great at 40. And Paul Molitor was seriously great at 36.

Lots of hitters were great at 36, but some fell off the face of the earth... sometimes it happens. Dale Murphy for example. Or many others.

Here are some theories

1. Albert Pujols fell off in his later middle 30s too, I recall Pujols, like Bautista were jr. college guys from Dominican... maybe when they signed up for jr. college they were actually srs??

2. Maybe they were both on something and are off it now... I don't know. Cruz is fine. That's a bad theory and I shouldn't go there.

3. Maybe it is just a thing. Guys fall off after 35, sometimes fast.

Some other questions... (kind of off topic, but again, you could of googled your answer so I assume you want discussion)

1. Was Moogie Stoeten?? Where is Moogie?? Why did he disappear?? Did he come back under a new name??
    2. Is Aaron Judge better than Mickie Mantle?? That's a stupid question, because Mantle had 6 seasons under his belt at Judge's age, but people in NY seem to be asking that. Weird.
    3. Ummm... I don't have anything else to say right now.
    If we don't win this year we'll win next year, if we don't win next year we'll win the year after that.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Olerud363 For This Useful Post:

jays4life19 (10-04-2017),Omar (10-05-2017),Spanky99 (10-04-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,373 Times in 2,237 Posts
    lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jays4life19 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-04-2017)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,938 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post
    Some other questions... (kind of off topic, but again, you could of googled your answer so I assume you want
    Could have....
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Imagine the haul we could have had 3 seasons ago when the time was right to move him
    Yeah, that haul combined with the Halladay haul (Drabek, Gose, and D'Arnaud) would've had us in the World Series this year.

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Could have....
    Yes. The grammar leaves something to be desired. Keep in mind the target audience was just the guy who didn't want to google, I guess because he wanted to message with people, instead of just googling.

So it's probably a good thing I gave him a full dose of bad grammar and some aimless rambling. In retrospect I should added some big time anger to give him the full message board experience.

I wanted the message to be as realistic as possible, so Rancher could make an informed decision on whether to use google to answer his questions in the future, or to continue asking for message board answers.
    If we don't win this year we'll win next year, if we don't win next year we'll win the year after that.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,938 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post
    Yes. The grammar leaves something to be desired. Keep in mind the target audience was just the guy who didn't want to google, I guess because he wanted to message with people, instead of just googling.

So it's probably a good thing I gave him a full dose of bad grammar and some aimless rambling. In retrospect I should added some big time anger to give him the full message board experience.

I wanted the message to be as realistic as possible, so Rancher could make an informed decision on whether to use google to answer his questions in the future, or to continue asking for message board answers.
    You feeling okay? Even for you that 3 paragraph reply to my post was overly verbose.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    When Bautista came over soon after Scott Rolen was shipped out, it was a bad time for Blue Jays fans. Mediocre teams. Major budget restrictions. Players wanted out, not in. But I remember looking at JB's stats from the Pirates when he was first brought in and thought man, 18-19 (IIRC) dingers for ~ 300 ABs. That's something. And then I binged, er googled, his background and history and was intrigued. Then I heard him interviewed and thought wow this guy is super smart, thoughtful and 100% bilingual. Pretty amazing, at least to me.

Then he broke out and I have loved him ever since.

I bought his jersey. Not an aliexpress.com $20 knock off, a $230 jersey.

But anyway, I loved him and I loved the fact that he has always extolled the virtues of TO and Canada. He gets us. And I think a lot of us get him.

Memorable moments I will cherish? So many. The bat flip of course. But I loved, just loved, the O'Day vs Bautista moments. I can't recall but I think it was twice he ripped him for big hits, once a dinger, after getting brushed back. Those moments were so special.

Anyway, I will miss him. And I would love if the Jays could find a spot for him in the FO. Or as an ambassador. Mostly for the reasons I outlined. He's smart, seems to love Canada, and is bilingual which (if you speak Spanish) is so crucial to the game in 2017.

Just my thoughts.

Maybe my fave player of all time. Well, maybe after Fernandez.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaskJaysFan_2 For This Useful Post:

Omar (10-06-2017),Pinkfloid (10-06-2017),Spanky99 (10-07-2017)