Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2017-18

Thanks
    Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    I hope the front office strikes early again this year too

I like that

Land an impact player you want right away while the big spenders play cat and mouse for months with the small number of big fish

Alex Cob would be an ideal target for this approach. I bet he doesn't want to wait and wait and wait until the market sees Darvish and Tanaka landed before anyone will get serious in talks with him. This seems to happen to some guys like him every year.
    Worked well with Happ, was a disaster with Morales. You look to find value no matter what time of the offseason it is.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burlingtonbandit For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-05-2017),Terminator (10-05-2017)

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Chatwood, Morrow, Cozart. I'd kick the tires on Tanaka.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 695 Posts
    Otani (obviously, though unlikely) and Cobb definitely interesting.

Not much else on the free agent market. My annual "let's get Jarrod Dyson" plea is actually realistic now since he's a free agent so I'll go with him, but even that's as a 4th OF or a replacement for a traded Pillar (though that probably won't happen).

Definitely need a 2B plus a backup that can cover short.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to glory For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 929 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Chatwood, Morrow, Cozart. I'd kick the tires on Tanaka.
    Not a great overall target but that would mean i could wear my morrow jersey again when i thought he was the second coming of christ.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,633 Times in 7,552 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Otani (obviously, though unlikely) and Cobb definitely interesting.

Not much else on the free agent market. My annual "let's get Jarrod Dyson" plea is actually realistic now since he's a free agent so I'll go with him, but even that's as a 4th OF or a replacement for a traded Pillar (though that probably won't happen).

Definitely need a 2B plus a backup that can cover short.
    Dyson would (again) be perfect. He’d be the everyday LF as the roster currently stands, and could be a perfect 4th OF if a more substantial acquisition is made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,545 Times in 2,886 Posts
    It's a small thing, but we also need to invest on a capable backup. Our non-Martin catchers combined for -1.5 WAR (how the fuck was Raffy Lopez a league average hitter?), and that's just completely unacceptable. Russ already has one of the heaviest workloads at the position, we need someone who could reasonably be a half-win player at least to back him up.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orgfiller For This Useful Post:

BTS (10-05-2017),Spanky99 (10-05-2017)

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Dyson would (again) be perfect. He’d be the everyday LF as the roster currently stands, and could be a perfect 4th OF if a more substantial acquisition is made.
    He also shouldn't be a long term commitment since he's in his 30's and doesn't have a track record as a starting outfielder. Should be a cheap way to get a 2-3 WAR player. My only concern with starting him in LF or RF is that Pillar is in the OF too. That's two OF spots with 80-90 wRC+. Platooning Dyson might help his numbers.

He's my prediction for who the Jays end up with. Atkins will smell that $/war and pounce early. Same idea he had with Pearce, except they would actually play Dyson in a spot he can defend.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,633 Times in 7,552 Posts
    I've been saying that for years about he backup C position. It's been a black hole since before the Dickey trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,545 Times in 2,886 Posts
    I've been saying that for years about he backup C position. It's been a black hole since before the Dickey trade.
    We might have to throw Danny Janssen or Reese McGuire into the fire. It's not ideal because you might not get best value out of them, given that at least one of them might be a legitimate prospect, but going with significantly below replacement players like we saw this season is just gross.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

Thanks
    Thanked 6,783 Times in 4,265 Posts
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...at-off-season/

Maybe J.D. Martinez + a TOR pitcher isn't that crazy!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Sogard is a good fit. Everyone knows how I feel about Nunez too. Would Sogard and Nunez be the sexiest signings for the lineup? Not at all but more than anything this team needs depth. Nunez and Sogard's versatility would really help us avoid giving so much playing time to negative WAR players. As I said I like Cobb. I think all three are realistic and would give us something like this:

C - Russell Martin
    1B - Justin Smoak
    2B - Devon Travis
    3B - Josh Donaldson
    SS - Troy Tulowitzki
    CF - Kevin Pillar
    LF - Eduardo Nunez
    RF - Teoscar Hernandez
    DH - Kendrys Morales

BENCH
    LF/RF - Ezequiel Carrera
    LF/1B- Steve Pearce
    UT- Eric Sogard
    C- ???

SP - Marcus Stroman
    SP - J.A. Happ
    SP= Alex Cobb
    SP - Marco Estrada
    SP - Aaron Sanchez

All Star
    Thanks
    Damn, didn't realize Dee Gordon put up a 3.3 WAR this season. Maybe taking him in a salary dump wouldn't be such a bad idea. When the alternative is Travis until his body fails followed by 4 months of Goins, I'd take just about any competent 2B out there.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Some interesting arb decisions this year: Goins, Koehler, and Loup are all potential non-tender candidates.
    I have to think Koehler will be non-tendered for sure (or signed at a lower rate). They're not gonna pay him 6 or 7 million in arbitration. I suspect Loup may be non-tendered too, with Mayza and Dermody (somewhat) looking capable. Goins is a little more difficult. We need someone shortstop capable defensively in the backup role, but I'm scared of what he may get in arbitration due to the RBIs.

I'm hoping Carrera is also non-tendered.

Trade for Zobrist or Dee Gordon, let Devon Travis get some reps in the outfield (maybe without having to constantly dive and stuff, his knee may hold up better).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    I have to think Koehler will be non-tendered for sure (or signed at a lower rate). They're not gonna pay him 6 or 7 million in arbitration. I suspect Loup may be non-tendered too, with Mayza and Dermody (somewhat) looking capable. Goins is a little more difficult. We need someone shortstop capable defensively in the backup role, but I'm scared of what he may get in arbitration due to the RBIs.

I'm hoping Carrera is also non-tendered.

Trade for Zobrist or Dee Gordon, let Devon Travis get some reps in the outfield (maybe without having to constantly dive and stuff, his knee may hold up better).
    I pray to god that Goins is gone.

I wouldn't mind them trying to sign Loup and Zeke at a lower rate. They can be extremely frustrating but they aren't bad players. Koehler is one injury plagued season away from being a capable 5th starter and I wouldn't mind having him back but I wouldn't give up much to get him.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-05-2017)

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy225 View Post
    Not a great overall target but that would mean i could wear my morrow jersey again when i thought he was the second coming of christ.
    He is the second coming of christ now that he's embraced the bullpen. 1.55 FIP. Zero homers against. 40% O-Swing. 16% Swstr.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeM For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (10-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Sogard is a good fit. Everyone knows how I feel about Nunez too. Would Sogard and Nunez be the sexiest signings for the lineup? Not at all but more than anything this team needs depth. Nunez and Sogard's versatility would really help us avoid giving so much playing time to negative WAR players. As I said I like Cobb. I think all three are realistic and would give us something like this:

C - Russell Martin
    1B - Justin Smoak
    2B - Devon Travis
    3B - Josh Donaldson
    SS - Troy Tulowitzki
    CF - Kevin Pillar
    LF - Eduardo Nunez
    RF - Teoscar Hernandez
    DH - Kendrys Morales

BENCH
    LF/RF - Ezequiel Carrera
    LF/1B- Steve Pearce
    UT- Eric Sogard
    C- ???

SP - Marcus Stroman
    SP - J.A. Happ
    SP= Alex Cobb
    SP - Marco Estrada
    SP - Aaron Sanchez
    I don't like the idea of giving Hernandez everyday ABs to start the season. He'd be fine as a 4th OFer if you get a LH bat like Bruce or Cargo but guys who strikeout as much as he did in September without walking usually don't have success right away.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burlingtonbandit For This Useful Post:

jays4life19 (10-05-2017),Spanky99 (10-05-2017)