Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2017-18

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    I don't like the idea of giving Hernandez everyday ABs to start the season. He'd be fine as a 4th OFer if you get a LH bat like Bruce or Cargo but guys who strikeout as much as he did in September without walking usually don't have success right away.
    Yeah it wouldn't be ideal but we've got a lot of holes to fill and I assume limited resources to do it. I don't think he's going to hit wRC+ 132 but I think he could be around 100 as a low OBP, high SLG type of hitter. If things go well he could be even better. With decent defense and baserunning that's good enough. He's also going to be 25 and a half when the season starts. If he's not ready by now he probably won't ever be.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Sogard is a good fit. Everyone knows how I feel about Nunez too. Would Sogard and Nunez be the sexiest signings for the lineup? Not at all but more than anything this team needs depth. Nunez and Sogard's versatility would really help us avoid giving so much playing time to negative WAR players. As I said I like Cobb. I think all three are realistic and would give us something like this:

C - Russell Martin
    1B - Justin Smoak
    2B - Devon Travis
    3B - Josh Donaldson
    SS - Troy Tulowitzki
    CF - Kevin Pillar
    LF - Eduardo Nunez
    RF - Teoscar Hernandez
    DH - Kendrys Morales

BENCH
    LF/RF - Ezequiel Carrera
    LF/1B- Steve Pearce
    UT- Eric Sogard
    C- ???

SP - Marcus Stroman
    SP - J.A. Happ
    SP= Alex Cobb
    SP - Marco Estrada
    SP - Aaron Sanchez
    I think Cobb would be an excellent signing. I think he'd have a chance to be a 2/3 on our staff.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Damn, didn't realize Dee Gordon put up a 3.3 WAR this season. Maybe taking him in a salary dump wouldn't be such a bad idea. When the alternative is Travis until his body fails followed by 4 months of Goins, I'd take just about any competent 2B out there.
    I think Dee Gordon is a tremendous fit. The Marlins, I assume, want to reduce payroll, and I think Gordon is good for 40+ SBs for the duration of his contract. He may even be able to be an effective lead off hitter with this lineup.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    I pray to god that Goins is gone.

I wouldn't mind them trying to sign Loup and Zeke at a lower rate. They can be extremely frustrating but they aren't bad players. Koehler is one injury plagued season away from being a capable 5th starter and I wouldn't mind having him back but I wouldn't give up much to get him.
    That Koehler trade was still sort of weird. He's 31-years old and even during his best season wasn't more than a #6 SP. But I guess he's be a nice swing man. Anderson and Koehler would be nice SP depth if they both sign. I have to think the FO has interest in that, otherwise why make those moves during a lost season?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SaskJaysFan_2 View Post
    That Koehler trade was still sort of weird. He's 31-years old and even during his best season wasn't more than a #6 SP. But I guess he's be a nice swing man. Anderson and Koehler would be nice SP depth if they both sign. I have to think the FO has interest in that, otherwise why make those moves during a lost season?
    Yeah I agree. They must like him and then they must also think that acquiring him with a year of control will allow them some leverage to bring him back at a reduced cost or something.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 695 Posts
    After his one start they used Koehler in one inning roles only. Maybe they view him as a RP, but still not worth giving him a raise in arb. Wouldn't surprise me if he's non tendered and brought back at a reduced rate.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,946 Times in 6,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Man I pretty much stopped watching the Jays after the ASB. I don't even know what a Raffy Lopez, or Luis Santos, or Carlos Ramirez even is. ARE THESE EVEN REAL PEOPLE?
    Booooo... Raffy has a bat can't catch, Santos did well in LR, and Ramirez looks like a backend reliever, quite impressive, converted catcher and has been light's out.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    Is J.D. Martinez + Otani + Tanaka + Darvish too much to ask?
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I bet the only one of those the team will be even a bit interested in is Otani. They won't definitely won't give Darvish his 150M, or Tanaka his 100M.
    JDM and Otani would be so dreamy.
    Lol.. I'd be willing to bet everything i own in a race vs Bautista. I'm telling you seriously, he has no chance.

Thanks
    Some good ideas folks, well done.

All Star
    Thanks
    I think Dee Gordon is a tremendous fit. The Marlins, I assume, want to reduce payroll, and I think Gordon is good for 40+ SBs for the duration of his contract. He may even be able to be an effective lead off hitter with this lineup.
    Depends on what the Marlins want for him. If it's nothing except some C level prospects and taking his salary, then go for it. There's always a chance someone with his skill set can fall off like Ben Revere did, but his defence grades out well and can cover SS in an emergency. He should be worth his salary.

Another trade target that I have mentioned before is Randal Grichuk. Cards have a ton of OF's. Look at the dude's batted ball profile and tell me he wouldn't fit in Toronto. Hits the ball hard as hell, tons of flyballs and line drives, very few grounders. Just work some Justin Smoak magic on him to cut down the K's, and you got yourself a player. Maybe the Cards undervalue him?
    Last edited by glory; 10-06-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Bustner Olney reports that there is a really good chance Joe Girardi doesn't re-sign with the Yankees after this season. He's a manager, IMO, who'd be a huge upgrade over Gibby. Would you go after him if he becomes available?

The TO FO seems to like Gibby quite a bit, so it seems unlikely that they would make this move. But Girardi is a guy I've respected from afar for quite a while.

Thanks
    Bustner Olney reports that there is a really good chance Joe Girardi doesn't re-sign with the Yankees after this season. He's a manager, IMO, who'd be a huge upgrade over Gibby. Would you go after him if he becomes available?

The TO FO seems to like Gibby quite a bit, so it seems unlikely that they would make this move. But Girardi is a guy I've respected from afar for quite a while.
    I don't think he's much of an upgrade.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (10-10-2017),Spanky99 (10-10-2017)

All Star
    Thanks
    Gibby 2.0 (after the new regime took over) is fine. Could be better, but isn't hurting the team. If this was Gibby 1.0, the dude we saw in 2015 turn a 100+ win caliber team into a team that would have missed the playoffs without mid season farm system detonating, then absolutely go after Girardi. As of now, it wouldn't make a difference.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks

Gibby is better than Girardi.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeM For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (10-10-2017),Spanky99 (10-10-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Gibby is better than Girardi.
    Far better.

Thanks
    I don't think he's much of an upgrade.
    Yeah, he isn't an upgrade at all.