Page 49 of 60 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2017-18

Thanks
    Thanked 2,173 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Nunez isn't exactly the pinnacle of health and durability. He's only played a full season once in his career, plus he's only getting older. I'd be very wary of giving him $20M-$30M.

If we want to bolster infield depth, I say we trade for somewhat proven players who's stock is low. Someone who's a little more cost controlled and younger. Someone like a Jonathan Villar would be perfect.
    How would you feel about acquiring Profar?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,531 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    I honestly don't think it's fully relevant whether or not Travis will be ready to start the year. The matter of fact is, he's had season-ending injuries for three years in a row; he's a really nice player to have when healthy and I'm rooting for him, but you have to go into the season with the assumption that Travis might not be healthy for extended periods of time, and come the playoffs, if the team is miraculously in it, you don't know if he'll be there to contribute. I'm glad the front office is pursuing the backup options this aggressively before it's too late in the offseason and you're forced to have Ryan Goins and Darwin Barney types to cover for when our regulars get injured - like always. This team isn't White Sox or Padres or Phillies bad, there's enough talent for a bunch of shit to go our way and the team to find itself in a playoff position, supplementing our oft-injured players with legitimate plan Bs is how you guarantee that we don't suddenly crash and burn because Devon Travis' knee buckled when the team plane hit some turbulence.
    I just meant in terms perhaps Travis isn't going to be healthy for a long time so they've given up hope that he'll even play. I know what you are saying and agree.

I think fans expect Travis will be ready to start the season and that he will get injured again at some point but perhaps he's still injured so that is why they looking to spend the $15-$20 million to bring in a guy like Nunez on a 2 year deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    I just meant in terms perhaps Travis isn't going to be healthy for a long time so they've given up hope that he'll even play. I know what you are saying and agree.

I think fans expect Travis will be ready to start the season and that he will get injured again at some point but perhaps he's still injured so that is why they looking to spend the $15-$20 million to bring in a guy like Nunez on a 2 year deal.
    But what does it matter when he plays his 50 games? If Travis plays his 50 games at the beginning of the year or his 50 games in the middle or at the end of the year we still need 110 games to fill. That's what Orgfiller means, I think. That is why they are looking to spend a decent chunk of change on someone who can fill in.

Thanks
    We could take on Martin Prado's contract as a LF/3B/2B in order to lessen what we'd have to give up to get Yelich.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,035 Times in 3,432 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    What do you mean? Essentially every player you're thinking of trading is less valuable right now than they were this time one year because they have less control. The only guy who I think now has more value is Smoak. Sleep walking through a lost season just cost this franchise significantly.
    You are overestimating the return on average to slightly above average players. The difference is timing and need more than the extra year of control.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,035 Times in 3,432 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavcarter View Post
    Shapiro suggesting he would have started a rebuild last year if he could seems to me like the decision to "compete" came from above him. If a front office doesn't want to do whats best for the franchise long-term and wants to tread water because of attendance, they're incredibly incompetent. Shapiro watched over the cleveland rebuild, i highly doubt he's the one that made the decision to continue to "compete"
    A President's job is also to turn a profit. I think he is saying that the balance is tough with this fanbase.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

glory (12-13-2017),Spanky99 (12-13-2017)

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    A President's job is also to turn a profit. I think he is saying that the balance is tough with this fanbase.
    we were second in the AL in attendance and we lost 86 games last year.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,932 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Not that appears we were ever considering trading Donaldson but....

as per MLBTR

" Cardinals GM Michael Girsch told Ben Frederickson of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that giving up significant assets for a star player with just one year of control remaining is “not a path we are likely to go down.” Interestingly, this description applies to both Machado and to another oft-mentioned Cards trade target in Josh Donaldson"

It was a fun thought though.

All Star
    Thanks
    The Jays should just pass on Nunez, sign lackey and some reasonably priced bullpen help like Rondon and call it a day.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,472 Times in 3,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saskjayfan View Post
    The Jays should just pass on Nunez, sign lackey and some reasonably priced bullpen help like Rondon and call it a day.
    Travis, Tulo and Nuņez in the same roster could be a disaster

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Anyone in the Rule 5 tomorrow that you guys are interested in?

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrioter View Post
    Nunez could be a volatile player coming off his injury, and he's not great defensively anywhere, but the options are pretty limited. Travis and Tulo are likely going to miss a lot of time, and it wouldn't shock me if both are not ready by opening day just based on the injuries they had, so the Jays need to find an infielder capable of playing everyday. Nunez makes sense. Harrison makes sense. Nunez will just cost money so he's less risky in that sense.

Thanks
    Howie Kendrick would make sense too.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrioter View Post

that's why I said don't sign him

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saskjayfan View Post
    We aren't dead broke. If we are going to tread water we should at least address some of our other needs with 1 or two year deals.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,719 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Jays really should focus on extending Donaldson at this point. Trading him this point onward will likely be a poor short and long term decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SirBJay For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-13-2017)