Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2017-18

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 706 Posts
    Yeah his hard contact and exit velocity numbers are still very good. Just has trouble with off speed stuff and rhp now for some reason.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,413 Posts
    Morales stinks. Bench him and play Pearce at DH full-time. Pearce is a marginally better hitter and substantially better base runner.

Thanks
    It seems like the easiest way to gain 2 or 3 wins would be to just straight up cut Morales and put together some sort of platoon at DH with Pearce and someone else.

I mean, you are going from a -0.6 WAR DH to something else potentially much better.

And you are upgrading LF at the same time because Pearce lost a lot of value there.

If you sign Cain for instance, you go from 0 WAR in LF to 4 WAR. Anyone other than Bautista in RF is going from -0.5 to like 2 WAR. Cut Morales and go from -0.5 to 2 WAR. That's like 9 wins right there (on a napkin).

If Shatkins persists with Morales at DH and Pearce in LF and we see more of the same then that signing goes from bad to "WTF Shatkins I thought you were smart".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It seems like the easiest way to gain 2 or 3 wins would be to just straight up cut Morales and put together some sort of platoon at DH with Pearce and someone else.

I mean, you are going from a -0.6 WAR DH to something else potentially much better.

And you are upgrading LF at the same time because Pearce lost a lot of value there.

If you sign Cain for instance, you go from 0 WAR in LF to 4 WAR. Anyone other than Bautista in RF is going from -0.5 to like 2 WAR. Cut Morales and go from -0.5 to 2 WAR. That's like 9 wins right there (on a napkin).

If Shatkins persists with Morales at DH and Pearce in LF and we see more of the same then that signing goes from bad to "WTF Shatkins I thought you were smart".
    Yeah you can't play Pearce in the OF very much. He's terrible. Maybe you can against LH pitching sometimes.

I truly would just bench Morales. If the rest of the roster is versatile enough it wouldn't kill the team to have a solid bat on the bench like that.

With the right moves this team could be a WC contender. Adding middle infield depth and improving the corner OF situation is A LOT of added WAR. If Sanchez can come back healthy that's even more. This isn't a bad team.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (12-19-2017),P2F (12-18-2017)

All Star
    Thanks
    More than opening up a spot for Pearce, trading Morales will open up DH to rest guys throughout the year.

I mean, I wouldn't rule out some type of bounce back year for Kendrys (better than 2017 at least), but ultimately it's not going to be worth much over the course of the season. Maybe a win if we're lucky and he really hits.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    More than opening up a spot for Pearce, trading Morales will open up DH to rest guys throughout the year.

I mean, I wouldn't rule out some type of bounce back year for Kendrys (better than 2017 at least), but ultimately it's not going to be worth much over the course of the season. Maybe a win if we're lucky and he really hits.
    The third year really suxxxx. I never understand what he did to get the 3rd year. He certainly wasn't in high demand. If we were giving a year deal for DH it should have been Edwin. I still think when the Royals strike out completely on resigning their guys they may be a fit for Morales. That could be wishful thinking tho. They loved him in KC tho.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Yep, Reyes would be the deal breaker for me. If he is healthy and stays healthy, he can be a beast. I don't know if the Cards would trade him, but now might be the only time to make that happen since he is coming off injury. Gyorko and Reyes, then used the saved money to sign Cain. The team is no worse off than they were with JD, but add more controllable pieces, one being someone with a really high ceiling.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 825 Posts
    Only 56 days until pitchers and catchers reports to ST, it's not so far away.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,841 Times in 4,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    Only 56 days until pitchers and catchers reports to ST, it's not so far away.
    Ugh the offseason is so boring

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    There will have to be a flood of moves at some point, hopefully soon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    This offseason especially.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    This offseason especially.
    Patience grasshoppers

Thanks
    Thanked 8,057 Times in 6,197 Posts
    Latest News (Dec 22, 2017)

More from Rotowire

The Toronto Blue Jays have no current plans to trade third baseman Josh Donaldson, a three-time All-Star, two-time Silver Slugger winner and former MVP. "It seems like it was one rumor that came out at the trade deadline, and people have continued to build off that rumor,'' general manager Ross Atkins told ESPN.com. "We're trying to win, and I can't imagine our team being better without Josh Donaldson.'' Donaldson will be a free agent after the 2018 season, so the Blue Jays may entertain more serious trade offers for him if they aren't in contention this summer. He hit .270 with 33 home runs and 78 RBI in just 113 games in 2017, and he could be in for a bounce-back year with full health.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysAllMighty View Post
    Boxcar
    Bitch on xanax causing ass rashes

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,888 Times in 2,600 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    As per MLBTR.

Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna has garnered plenty of trade inquiries this winter, according to Cafardo. However, there’s no indication the Jays are considering moving the proven Osuna, who’s still young (23 in February) and set to play his first of three potential arbitration years in 2018. The right-hander turned in his third straight excellent year last season, tossing 64 innings of 3.38 ERA ball with career-best strikeout (11.67 K/9), walk (1.27 BB/9) and groundball (48 percent) rates.

Boooo. Trade him