Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2017-18

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Gonna voice an unpopular opinion here, but locking up Donaldson to a high $, long term deal is just repeating the Tulo mistake all over again... If there is ANY truth to the Cardinals rumours, my ask is for (top prospect) P Alex Reyes & their current 3B Jedd Gyorko - if they don't balk, pull the trigger! We might have to add some int'l slot money or something, but it beats JD walking...

Then sign CF Lorenzo Cain to a 4-5yr deal, assuming he's got 3yrs as a starting OF left before taking his .300avg to the DH spot.

At this point I could honestly be okay with keeping Barney, but Goins or both of them needs to go. I would actually prefer a guy like Brett Lawrie as a cheaper, super-utility with a little better pop off the bench and a + defender.

Dump either Pearce or Morales for a song, need the roster spot more than the player.

Essentially we just need to stay afloat and compete for a couple years until Bichette/Vlad/Alford/Gurriel/Urena break in and stick.

C Russell Martin
    1B Justin Smoak
    2B Devon Travis
    SS Troy Tulowitzky
    3B Jedd Gyorko
    LF Kevin Pillar
    CF Lorenzo Cain
    RF Teoscar Hernandez
    DH Kendrys Morales or Steve Pearce

IF Lawrie/Barney, Refsnyder, Jansen/Torres, Tellez?
    OF Carrera, Pompey?

SP Marcus Stroman
    SP Aaron Sanchez
    SP JA Happ
    SP Marco Estrada
    SP Alex Reyes
    SP Joe Biagini

BP Tepera, Barnes, Rowley, Osuna, Leone, Mayza, Ramirez
    Tulo was never as good as JD was, even ignoring injury problems.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    I think it might behoove the FO to spend right to the luxury tax threshold.

This might keep 3M bums in the seats for 2018. And if it's spent on FA's, it'd keep the farm intact.

When we traded and signed a bunch of players in 2013, we sucked, but man attendance was up. I'd like to do this again, hopefully without the "suck" component.

What happened to the MLB USD to CAD exchange rate subsidy that the Jays used to receive? Even though it's improved from the FO's POV, a ~25% kickback would sure be nice. I thought that was a possibility a few years, to restart that subsidy?

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bones10 View Post
    Tulo was never as good as JD was, even ignoring injury problems.
    That's clearly not the argument he's making, but w/e

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 714 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Gonna voice an unpopular opinion here, but locking up Donaldson to a high $, long term deal is just repeating the Tulo mistake all over again... If there is ANY truth to the Cardinals rumours, my ask is for (top prospect) P Alex Reyes & their current 3B Jedd Gyorko - if they don't balk, pull the trigger! We might have to add some int'l slot money or something, but it beats JD walking...

Then sign CF Lorenzo Cain to a 4-5yr deal, assuming he's got 3yrs as a starting OF left before taking his .300avg to the DH spot.

At this point I could honestly be okay with keeping Barney, but Goins or both of them needs to go. I would actually prefer a guy like Brett Lawrie as a cheaper, super-utility with a little better pop off the bench and a + defender.

Dump either Pearce or Morales for a song, need the roster spot more than the player.

Essentially we just need to stay afloat and compete for a couple years until Bichette/Vlad/Alford/Gurriel/Urena break in and stick.

C Russell Martin
    1B Justin Smoak
    2B Devon Travis
    SS Troy Tulowitzky
    3B Jedd Gyorko
    LF Kevin Pillar
    CF Lorenzo Cain
    RF Teoscar Hernandez
    DH Kendrys Morales or Steve Pearce

IF Lawrie/Barney, Refsnyder, Jansen/Torres, Tellez?
    OF Carrera, Pompey?

SP Marcus Stroman
    SP Aaron Sanchez
    SP JA Happ
    SP Marco Estrada
    SP Alex Reyes
    SP Joe Biagini

BP Tepera, Barnes, Rowley, Osuna, Leone, Mayza, Ramirez
    If we were to upgrade in CF, I definitely think Pillar would be more valuable to us as a trade chip - his bat doesn't come close to being good enough for LF.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pendleton For This Useful Post:

Brownie19 (10-12-2017),Deadpool (10-11-2017),Spanky99 (10-11-2017)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,938 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    If we were to upgrade in CF, I definitely think Pillar would be more valuable to us as a trade chip - his bat doesn't come close to being good enough for LF.
    His bat would be like the bare minimum you want from your catcher.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Who would you rather have?

1. Stanton

2. Donaldson signed for 2018 through 2024 at $30M AAV

Both would be 38 yrs old at expiry

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Who would you rather have?

1. Stanton

2. Donaldson signed for 2018 through 2024 at $30M AAV

Both would be 38 yrs old at expiry
    Stanton and flip Donaldson to the Cards for Reyes.

I love Donaldson but I want to see this team get younger and would prefer to get max value in a trade for him now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 966 Posts
    I hope you are getting Reyes ++ or just keep Stanton and try for 2018 (maybe do that anyway)... flip Donaldson at the deadline if it doesn't look like its happening. Return won't be as good at the deadline, but its worth it for the opportunity to compete.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post
    I hope you are getting Reyes ++ or just keep Stanton and try for 2018 (maybe do that anyway)... flip Donaldson at the deadline if it doesn't look like its happening. Return won't be as good at the deadline, but its worth it for the opportunity to compete.
    Reyes + Bader with us picking up most of his salary. Then resign him after next season

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

LetTheBallFly (Yesterday)

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post
    Well yea. He'd just be the highlight of the return. I just meant that I'd rather this team have something like Stanton and a young stud starter in Reyes than extend Donaldson. I'd love to see Stanton and Donaldson terrorize pitchers together next year, but that means you're likely letting him walk for nothing the following offseason and I don't think a trade deadline return for him would be that much either.

Prospect
    Thanks
    I'd like to see Shartkins trade for Edwin Encarnacion. Smoak + should get it done.