Page 9 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 129 to 144 of 956

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2017-18

  1. #129
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17,314
    Thanks
    14,469
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    I think they're going to spend some money for 2018 in order to remain competitive and keep attendance up

    They probably have 30-40M to spend in free agency/trading for contracts so it can be done

    I suspect they view next year as a bridge year to having more in-house cheaper talent coming soon
    They are willing to commit some money. What they aren't willing to do is take the long term pain for short term gain route that AA took with guys like Reyes, Tulo and Martin. Those Stanton and Gordon contracts commit way too much future money to be appealing. They are going to take a Boston 2013 type approach.

  2. #130
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    22,560
    Thanks
    2,179
    Thanked 8,044 Times in 5,018 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...edictions.html

    mlbtraderumors.com's Top 50 Free Agent List is out.

    They have the Jays signing Jay Bruce (3 years, 39 million), Eduardo Nunez (2 years, 14 million) and Tony Watson (2 years, 12 million).
    I'd rather bring back Brandon Morrow than throw that money at Watson, even if Morrow is more expensive.

    Also, just fireballing, but what about some kind of three way where we end up with Stanton + a couple of prospects for Donaldson?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Frag are you alive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    I know King isn't... little prick.

  3. #131
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    5,639
    Thanks
    1,824
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Key22 View Post
    Does anyone know what this team is trying to do? Signing Estrada seems to indicate they are going for it - so if you are going for it and you had the worst offense in the league and or in baseball (or very close to it) why would you not be looking at adding Dee Gordon and Stanton.
    Points out we need to improve the offense, suggests Dee Gordon - who hits like Pillar. Classic Key22!

  4. #132
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17,314
    Thanks
    14,469
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Thanks. I can't see then having the spots to add 6 or 7. I agree with Glory, we might see some minor deals for guys that have a little less upside but more time before needing to be added. Or just leave a few of these guys exposed and hope no one is pulling a Padres.
    Biggest decision seems to be at catcher. The three catchers on the 40 are Martin, Maille and Lopez. I think the latter two get exposed and so does Pentecost (or you trade them if you can get a return). That would open spots for both Jansen and McGuire who are the two you want to keep. Problem with that is that it doesn't leave you with a spot for an external backup catcher. You'd have to either just hand the backup job to McGuire, hope one of Jansen of McGuire clears (seems doubtful) or try to get a decent return for one or the other. Considering the Jays don't seem all that keen to spend on a backup catcher and considering just how terribly going with a cheap free agent backfired last year (Salty) maybe it's time to just run with McGuire?

  5. #133
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,900
    Thanks
    3,678
    Thanked 12,846 Times in 7,669 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    Biggest decision seems to be at catcher. The three catchers on the 40 are Martin, Maille and Lopez. I think the latter two get exposed and so does Pentecost (or you trade them if you can get a return). That would open spots for both Jansen and McGuire who are the two you want to keep. Problem with that is that it doesn't leave you with a spot for an external backup catcher. You'd have to either just hand the backup job to McGuire, hope one of Jansen of McGuire clears (seems doubtful) or try to get a decent return for one or the other. Considering the Jays don't seem all that keen to spend on a backup catcher and considering just how terribly going with a cheap free agent backfired last year (Salty) maybe it's time to just run with McGuire?
    I'm really hoping that the team acquires a competent backup. We've been dealing with a tire fire in that spot for years.

    - find a backup that won't be a -1 win sinkhole
    - get Jansen and McGuire on the 40-man
    - outright Maille and Lopez
    - expose Pentecost in the Rule V
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  6. #134
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17,314
    Thanks
    14,469
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I'm really hoping that the team acquires a competent backup. We've been dealing with a tire fire in that spot for years.

    - find a backup that won't be a -1 win sinkhole
    - get Jansen and McGuire on the 40-man
    - outright Maille and Lopez
    - expose Pentecost in the Rule V
    So you're going to have four catchers on the 40 man?

  7. #135
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,900
    Thanks
    3,678
    Thanked 12,846 Times in 7,669 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    So you're going to have four catchers on the 40 man?
    I don't really see an alternative. I wouldn't start the season with either Jansen or McGuire on the 25-man, and both are too valuable to be let go. They spent all of last year with 3 on the 40-man, and I don't think a 4th would have been that big an imposition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  8. #136
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17,314
    Thanks
    14,469
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I don't really see an alternative. I wouldn't start the season with either Jansen or McGuire on the 25-man, and both are too valuable to be let go. They spent all of last year with 3 on the 40-man, and I don't think a 4th would have been that big an imposition.
    Teams seem pretty strict about limiting themselves to three catchers unless one of them plays a second position. I suppose Martin does double as an infielder but even allowing that I highly doubt they go with four catchers.

  9. #137
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    5,639
    Thanks
    1,824
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I'm really hoping that the team acquires a competent backup. We've been dealing with a tire fire in that spot for years.

    - find a backup that won't be a -1 win sinkhole
    - get Jansen and McGuire on the 40-man
    - outright Maille and Lopez
    - expose Pentecost in the Rule V
    This FO has made it pretty clear they want a better backup catcher. The issue always seems to be that nobody (good) wants to backup Martin. I fully expect what BTS has listed above to be their plan.

  10. #138
    Top 100 Prospect Key22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    324
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 63 Times in 39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Points out we need to improve the offense, suggests Dee Gordon - who hits like Pillar. Classic Key22!
    Doesn't include my quote that says he's not a great bat to create a strawman.

    The Jays are not going to land f-ing Jose Altuve - or some pie in the sky perfect offensive player. You get what is conceivably available.

    Dee Gordon is conceivably available and he fits what Atkins says he wants. He wants middle infield help - he wants team speed. Yes I would like an .850+ OPS bat at every position - I would like 3 in their prime Paul Molitors but they aren't available. What is available is a flawed leadoff bat with 60+ steal ability and a 3 WAR player who can play short and second (where our two regulars are anything but regulars and are likely to NEVER be regulars again).

    While I would much prefer Francisco Lindor that would cost Guerrero, Stroman, as openers.

    So you have to be practical and you look to players that are better than what we have - and Gordon brings more to the table offensively that Tulo/Goins/Barney. And when Gordon turns a walk or a single into a steal of second it is essentially a double. Further SB threats put another element in the mind of an opposing pitcher - So when Gordon is on First in a tight game - maybe the pitcher choosed to throw a fastball instead of junk and if hitters like Donaldson or Smoak or Morales can look fastball it improves the line-up beyond just Gordon's stats. Look deeper into the game. It also puts Pillar in the 9 hole where his crappy numbers would not be so crappy - as a 9 hole hitter Pillar would be quite respectable - leading off not so much. And when Pillar is on base - he creates distractions - allows for a greater dynamic at manufacturing runs - It allows for more hit and run and bunt opportunities. Speed doesn't go into slumps.

    I'd rather Stanton but if Miami is dumping salary - the Jays have two areas of need both of which Miami is trying to dump which makes the Jays a more attractive trade partner - IE; landing Stanton may require taking Gordon and the Jays are one of the few teams that could take both. Gordon is still a 3 WAR player - his offense from second or short is respectable. His offense was 2.8war - 20 doubles 9 triples 201 hits 60 steals and I believe was second in sprint speed in baseball. Pillar has more pop but Pillar had a .256 average and .300OBP compared to Gordon .308/.342. The difference is Gordon gets on base in front of the mashers - Pillar doesn't. When Gordon does get on - he steals second. Runner in scoring position for JD. Pillar doesn't.

    Point is he's better than what we have. His contract is reasonable. If you can name other lead off targets that put pressure on the pitcher and improves team speed and is a 3 WAR player to hit leadoff - please list said targets BEFORE you criticize the notion - Ie; list the alternate choice who is so vastly better.

  11. #139
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17,314
    Thanks
    14,469
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    This FO has made it pretty clear they want a better backup catcher. The issue always seems to be that nobody (good) wants to backup Martin. I fully expect what BTS has listed above to be their plan.
    If they sign a backup catcher, they are going to move one of McGuire or Jansen.

  12. #140
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,877
    Thanks
    356
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 708 Posts
    Stanton is owed close to 300 million over the next 10 years. He hits a ton of hard contact, but no way he's going to be this good for most of that deal.

    I don't see the Jays allowing Jansen or McGuire to go, and I don't think either one will be Martin's back up either, so I'm going to guess they go with four catchers.

  13. #141
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    2,440
    Thanks
    339
    Thanked 647 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    Teams seem pretty strict about limiting themselves to three catchers unless one of them plays a second position. I suppose Martin does double as an infielder but even allowing that I highly doubt they go with four catchers.
    Maybe Martin plays more 3B next year. 2 bonuses if that did happen - JD gets more days off from the field, and the backup catcher role looks more attractive to catchers thinking of signing here.

  14. #142
    Orioles Hangout Admin Boxcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    22,560
    Thanks
    2,179
    Thanked 8,044 Times in 5,018 Posts
    Hell, I'd rather have Martin playing 2B instead of Goins/Barney. If you use Martin as a utility guy there could be lots of catcher starts available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Frag are you alive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    I know King isn't... little prick.

  15. #143
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    2,440
    Thanks
    339
    Thanked 647 Times in 447 Posts

  16. #144
    Hall of Famer burlingtonbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    16,799
    Thanks
    714
    Thanked 2,132 Times in 1,530 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Maybe Martin plays more 3B next year. 2 bonuses if that did happen - JD gets more days off from the field, and the backup catcher role looks more attractive to catchers thinking of signing here.
    Seems a waste though since lots of Martin's value is his framing/blocking/defense.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to burlingtonbandit For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (11-03-2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •