Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Offseason Roster Thread 2017-18

Thanks
    Thanked 1,710 Times in 999 Posts
    Basically Shatkins wants to start from scratch snd byild a young core from there, but ownership is pressing them to milk anything out of this aging and shriveling core

I too, would like a slow death.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    So basically admitting that we lost a season in order to not rustle the dumb casuals, great.
    The casual all hate this management so that didn't even work. All the season did was keep the stock booking for Rogers executives bonuses

Thanks
    Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,525 Posts
    Lol its ownership that's dictating them trying to be competitive this year not the FO. Funny how people said Rogers is a good owner because they sit back but really they are the ones stopping the FO from rebuilding.

I wonder if the rumour of them selling is why they want to be as competitive as possible this year. Although purchasing a MLB franchise is a long term investment it probably doesn't look good if they trade away all their star players before selling the team.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to burlingtonbandit For This Useful Post:

Mavcarter (12-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    It's not like they missed out on selling anything with their fake competitive season. I'm getting pretty scared that ownership will prevent them from extracting value from JD though.
    What do you mean? Essentially every player you're thinking of trading is less valuable right now than they were this time one year because they have less control. The only guy who I think now has more value is Smoak. Sleep walking through a lost season just cost this franchise significantly.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,413 Posts
    Not rebuilding isn't even a bad thing IMO. Fielding decent teams and keeping this fanbase active might leave the club in a healthier spot than what a rebuild would bring.

No more 3 year deals for old players though. I don't care what Shatkins thinks the fanbase/ownership is pressuring them to do, but giving marginal 34 year old talent like Morales shouldn't happen regardless.

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Does the Ozuna trade to the Cardinals impact the chances JD is traded there?

Thanks
    lol rogers holding the front office back so they can milk a month of attendance. The casuals will stop caring once they realize the team isn't going anywhere early

Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavcarter View Post
    lol rogers holding the front office back so they can milk a month of attendance. The casuals will stop caring once they realize the team isn't going anywhere early
    Did Shatkins suggest it was Rogers holding them back? I think there's a chance the FO themselves believe this approach may be the correct one.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Why did Rogers hire Shapiro? What does Rogers regard as Shapiro's #1 responsibility as President and CEO of the Blue Jays? Is it to make $? Do Rogers and Shapiro have different visions about how to make $?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    Why did Rogers hire Shapiro? What does Rogers regard as Shapiro's #1 responsibility as President and CEO of the Blue Jays? Is it to make $? Do Rogers and Shapiro have different visions about how to make $?
    Rogers has no clue about baseball or how to make money. They are just a monopoly. I can't for the life of me understand how there are people on this board who think Rogers is anything but below average in every walk of life.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Not rebuilding isn't even a bad thing IMO. Fielding decent teams and keeping this fanbase active might leave the club in a healthier spot than what a rebuild would bring.
    Yeah i agree. Rebuilding after 2016 would have been insane. They went to back to back ALCS's, were selling out every game, having insanely high tv numbers, etc. Shapiro is looking at baseball ops but also has to look at things from an ownership perspective as well. If Donaldson was a free agent after 2016, then that would have been different, but they had two years of control left on him. Trying to piece together a playoff team in 2017 was the right call. Whether it's the right call in 2018 is another story.

As long as they keep emphasizing building up the farm system, I'm ok with whichever direction they go in.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glory For This Useful Post:

Slot Machine (12-13-2017),Spanky99 (12-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,471 Times in 3,276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Hmmm

That mean: Donaldson 7 years 99999 millions

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Did Shatkins suggest it was Rogers holding them back? I think there's a chance the FO themselves believe this approach may be the correct one.
    Shapiro suggesting he would have started a rebuild last year if he could seems to me like the decision to "compete" came from above him. If a front office doesn't want to do whats best for the franchise long-term and wants to tread water because of attendance, they're incredibly incompetent. Shapiro watched over the cleveland rebuild, i highly doubt he's the one that made the decision to continue to "compete"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,710 Times in 999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Rogers has no clue about baseball or how to make money. They are just a monopoly. I can't for the life of me understand how there are people on this board who think Rogers is anything but below average in every walk of life.
    Well, they're pretty good at making money.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,943 Times in 2,678 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBJay View Post
    Well, they're pretty good at making money.
    Yeah, it's not like they need the Jays to offset bad revenues from cellular service and TV. They're doing OK.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,125 Times in 1,525 Posts
    Fans won't always support a winning team anyway, there's always peaks and valleys in interest. I don't really see how a team winning around 80 games this year makes future revenues grow.

Toronto is a pretty big bandwagon city so as soon as the team becomes good/exciting fans will be buying tickets.