8:15 PM ET
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jays in on Ozuna. Boring off-season

Thanks
    Thanked 5,535 Times in 3,308 Posts

Jays in on Ozuna. Boring off-season

@JonHeyman
    9s

Jays and Rockies also among teams in on Ozuna (via @clarkspencer). Cards, nats, rangers also among the 6-8 teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Asia's suicide rate is very high; I'll try to raise it a little bit next month.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,642 Times in 8,087 Posts
    Not buying it. Vlad would have to be going to other way.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Unless we take back a bad contract

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,026 Times in 4,423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I could see an Alford-centrepiece trade if we took Prado's contract in the deal. I'm sure this FO has no intention of trading Vlad or Bo under any circumstances.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Would probably have to be Chen as a salary dump, which I'm not necessarily against.

Ozuna + Chen for ?

Edit - forgot about Prado, that's another option.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pendleton For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 966 Posts
    Pads could be looking at shopping Solarte by the sounds of it which i like as a pick up as he can play all IF positions.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,642 Times in 8,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    I could see an Alford-centrepiece trade if we took Prado's contract in the deal. I'm sure this FO has no intention of trading Vlad or Bo under any circumstances.
    Does Prado have enough negative value? He's owed 2/28.5, but that's not entirely sunk cost. He probably projects at like 3 wins over the next couple of years, which gets him a lot of the way to that 28.5M he's owed.

Chen is the big one - he's owed 3/52 and they don't even know if/when he'll pitch again.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,026 Times in 4,423 Posts
    Does Prado have enough negative value? He's owed 2/28.5, but that's not entirely sunk cost. He probably projects at like 3 wins over the next couple of years, which gets him a lot of the way to that 28.5M he's owed.

Chen is the big one - he's owed 3/52 and they don't even know if/when he'll pitch again.
    At this point the Marlins don't give a shit about dollar value, they are just dumping money, period. They are $400M in debt and will probably try to dump anyone who's past Arb 1, with the exception of probably Yelich.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,108 Posts
    What? really?

For me - Ozuna is a slightly better version of Avisail Garcia. He was a league average hitter until the breakout last year and his base running and defense is only going to get worse. Like Garcia - I have to think FO's will see through that and he won't fetch a massive package.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    So we could just keep putting on band-aids? How would Ozuna who is a FA in 2 years help this club when it won't compete in '18 and really needs to gear for 2-3 years down the road? The Marlins want prospects back, the Jays need theirs, so what would Shatkins be thinking exactly?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
    So we could just keep putting on band-aids? How would Ozuna who is a FA in 2 years help this club when it won't compete in '18 and really needs to gear for 2-3 years down the road? The Marlins want prospects back, the Jays need theirs, so what would Shatkins be thinking exactly?
    Jesus man - don't jump off the deep end. You have no idea what Shatkins did or didn't do. They probably just called about him - which is their job. Don't get all judgy judgy.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Jesus man - don't jump off the deep end. You have no idea what Shatkins did or didn't do. They probably just called about him - which is their job. Don't get all judgy judgy.
    lol - true
    Sorry, I really just wish I heard them say, we're going to rebuild so we come back in a couple of years ready to pound the yankees. Instead of the 'we can still compete in '18' BS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
    lol - true
    Sorry, I really just wish I heard them say, we're going to rebuild so we come back in a couple of years ready to pound the yankees. Instead of the 'we can still compete in '18' BS.
    Funny thing is - if we got Ozuna with Prado at some decent price that didn't sacrifice the future (b/c the Marlins truly are desperate to dump $$) and then added another SP (say Lance Lynn) + a reliever (maybe a lefty - McGee) and got a but of luck health wise - we probably could compete next year.

2nd - Travis
    3rd - JD
    1st - Smoak
    RF - Ozuna
    DH - Morales
    C - Martin
    SS - Tulo
    LF - Teoscar
    CF - Pillar

B - Prado, Diaz

Stro, Sanchez, Happ, Estrada, Lynn with Osuna, McGee, Barnes, Tepera, etc. in the pen

That's not a bad team at all. I'm not saying that's what they should do, or that they wouldn't have to sell wayyyy too much to get Ozuna, but a good GM isn't going to simply shut the door on the possibility that this team could compete next year.

Thanks
    I’m new here. First day on the job, a lot of things would have to right in order to make that team a contender. First off, Travis would have to play 120 games.

I’m of the opinion they should be tearing down this roster and adding to the farm system. Trade Donaldson and Smoak now,while they have value.

Funny thing is - if we got Ozuna with Prado at some decent price that didn't sacrifice the future (b/c the Marlins truly are desperate to dump $$) and then added another SP (say Lance Lynn) + a reliever (maybe a lefty - McGee) and got a but of luck health wise - we probably could compete next year.

2nd - Travis
    3rd - JD
    1st - Smoak
    RF - Ozuna
    DH - Morales
    C - Martin
    SS - Tulo
    LF - Teoscar
    CF - Pillar

B - Prado, Diaz

Stro, Sanchez, Happ, Estrada, Lynn with Osuna, McGee, Barnes, Tepera, etc. in the pen

That's not a bad team at all. I'm not saying that's what they should do, or that they wouldn't have to sell wayyyy too much to get Ozuna, but a good GM isn't going to simply shut the door on the possibility that this team could compete next year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 981 Posts
    'In on' means Atkins placed a phone call to see. That's it.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,266 Posts
    What? really?

For me - Ozuna is a slightly better version of Avisail Garcia. He was a league average hitter until the breakout last year and his base running and defense is only going to get worse. Like Garcia - I have to think FO's will see through that and he won't fetch a massive package.
    Avisail has only had one good year (last year). Prior to that he was a negative WAR player in his previous 5 seasons/partial seasons. Ozuna has never been a negative player, and in his 4 full years 2 have been at 3.9 WAR or higher, plus his partial rookie season where he was roughly on that same pace. They are nowhere near the same. Ozuna would be an incredible get for us. Definitely worth taking someone like Chen for.