Thanks

Jays in on CarGos

Report: Giants, Blue Jays among teams eyeing CarGo
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1444771

Thanks
    Thanked 12,845 Times in 7,668 Posts
    Dammit
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

jays4life19 (12-12-2017),Sorrow (12-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,416 Posts
    Just reading the tea leaves here but I think we are dumpster diving this offseason and are looking to tread water until 2020 when Vlad is up.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

glory (12-12-2017),Krylian (12-12-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Just reading the tea leaves here but I think we are dumpster diving this offseason and are looking to tread water until 2020 when Vlad is up.
    You'd think they would have traded Donaldson by now if that's the case, what's the point of 'treading water' exactly.

Thanks
    Yeah, I'm getting that impression too. I think it's the right move, but I'm hoping we don't lose JD via free agency just keep up appearances.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bones10 View Post
    You'd think they would have traded Donaldson by now if that's the case, what's the point of 'treading water' exactly.
    Fielding semi-competitive teams right now is highly enticing to ownership.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,908 Times in 2,614 Posts
    Fuck no

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Yeah, I'm getting that impression too. I think it's the right move, but I'm hoping we don't lose JD via free agency just keep up appearances.
    That's the only issue is what to do with him. The Smoak's and the Happ's of the world aren't going to hurt us if we hang on to them and just let them play their contracts out. The return for JD could make a big difference. The problem is if we get rid of him you can kiss being semi-competitive goodbye and it also just sends a message that we aren't even trying to compete.

Thanks
    How much cash is CarGo getting do we think? Hes not getting more than a one year flyer is he?

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    CarGo would be Jose Bautista 2017 v2.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bones10 View Post
    Creating the illusion of competitive baseball for the fairweather fans.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 901 Posts
    The Jays are 'in on' 75% of FA's every offseason.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,842 Times in 4,304 Posts
    You guys need to accept that we are going to sign either Jay Bruce or Cargo, hopefully at a reasonable cost. Just cross your fingers and hope they put up a couple WAR.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-12-2017)

Thanks
    That's the only issue is what to do with him. The Smoak's and the Happ's of the world aren't going to hurt us if we hang on to them and just let them play their contracts out. The return for JD could make a big difference. The problem is if we get rid of him you can kiss being semi-competitive goodbye and it also just sends a message that we aren't even trying to compete.
    This is the first offseason in three years where the 'talk about winning, and field the best team you can while making no long-term commitments' strategy could actually hurt the future. It hasn't yet cost them anything to make a fake effort to compete while really looking at 2019 and beyond, but JD's looming free agency is a situation where the sooner decisive action is taken, the better things will look for the future. I don't really care whether it's a trade or extension, but his trade value is going to drop by a lot between now and July, and it would be a shame to waste an opportunity at a big haul because you're putting on a dog and pony show for the casual fans.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

KevinGregg (12-12-2017),Spanky99 (12-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 835 Posts
    Am I the only one who thinks this isn't reaching that far into the dumpster and could be an adept move? He isn't like Bautista v2.0 he's several years younger. And the Jays have a pattern of much bigger turnips than him turning it around in their late-20's to early-30's with the team.

The two things going against this move would be 1. The Jays don't really need another should-be DH defensive liability on this roster and 2. The team hasn't had very good recent luck when acquiring a player away from Coors.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,842 Times in 4,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    This is the first offseason in three years where the 'talk about winning, and field the best team you can while making no long-term commitments' strategy could actually hurt the future. It hasn't yet cost them anything to make a fake effort to compete while really looking at 2019 and beyond, but JD's looming free agency is a situation where the sooner decisive action is taken, the better things will look for the future. I don't really care whether it's a trade or extension, but his trade value is going to drop by a lot between now and July, and it would be a shame to waste an opportunity at a big haul because you're putting on a dog and pony show for the casual fans.
    I don't see this front office cutting themselves off at the knees with their most valuable player to assuage a fanbase, they are too shrewd for that. They are weighing all options, I don't see this reactionary need to rush to judgement. Pretty much everything they've done with this organization has been prudent, and I'm sure whatever course of action they choose with Donaldson will be the best option in light of all the information they have at their disposal (i.e. his willingness to sign an extension, what kind of trade offers they are getting for him, etc.)... information that we do not and will not have.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-12-2017)