Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 78

Thread: Jays in on CarGos

  1. #1
    Big Leaguer bones10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,032
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked 279 Times in 223 Posts

    Jays in on CarGos

    Report: Giants, Blue Jays among teams eyeing CarGo
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1444771

  2. #2
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,896
    Thanks
    3,677
    Thanked 12,845 Times in 7,668 Posts
    Dammit
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

    jays4life19 (12-12-2017),Sorrow (12-12-2017)

  4. #3
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,179
    Thanks
    2,262
    Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,416 Posts
    Just reading the tea leaves here but I think we are dumpster diving this offseason and are looking to tread water until 2020 when Vlad is up.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

    glory (12-12-2017),Krylian (12-12-2017)

  6. #4
    Big Leaguer bones10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,032
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked 279 Times in 223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Just reading the tea leaves here but I think we are dumpster diving this offseason and are looking to tread water until 2020 when Vlad is up.
    You'd think they would have traded Donaldson by now if that's the case, what's the point of 'treading water' exactly.

  7. #5
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,896
    Thanks
    3,677
    Thanked 12,845 Times in 7,668 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Just reading the tea leaves here but I think we are dumpster diving this offseason and are looking to tread water until 2020 when Vlad is up.
    Yeah, I'm getting that impression too. I think it's the right move, but I'm hoping we don't lose JD via free agency just keep up appearances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  8. #6
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,179
    Thanks
    2,262
    Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,416 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bones10 View Post
    You'd think they would have traded Donaldson by now if that's the case, what's the point of 'treading water' exactly.
    Fielding semi-competitive teams right now is highly enticing to ownership.

  9. #7
    DONOR jays4life19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    14,148
    Thanks
    3,227
    Thanked 3,908 Times in 2,614 Posts
    Fuck no

  10. #8
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,179
    Thanks
    2,262
    Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,416 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Yeah, I'm getting that impression too. I think it's the right move, but I'm hoping we don't lose JD via free agency just keep up appearances.
    That's the only issue is what to do with him. The Smoak's and the Happ's of the world aren't going to hurt us if we hang on to them and just let them play their contracts out. The return for JD could make a big difference. The problem is if we get rid of him you can kiss being semi-competitive goodbye and it also just sends a message that we aren't even trying to compete.

  11. #9
    Big Leaguer bones10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    3,032
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked 279 Times in 223 Posts
    How much cash is CarGo getting do we think? Hes not getting more than a one year flyer is he?

  12. #10
    Top 100 Prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    710
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 272 Times in 154 Posts
    CarGo would be Jose Bautista 2017 v2.

  13. #11
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,911
    Thanks
    641
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bones10 View Post
    You'd think they would have traded Donaldson by now if that's the case, what's the point of 'treading water' exactly.
    Creating the illusion of competitive baseball for the fairweather fans.

  14. #12
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,911
    Thanks
    641
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 901 Posts
    The Jays are 'in on' 75% of FA's every offseason.

  15. #13
    Hall of Famer Dr. Dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,130
    Thanks
    2,480
    Thanked 6,842 Times in 4,304 Posts
    You guys need to accept that we are going to sign either Jay Bruce or Cargo, hopefully at a reasonable cost. Just cross your fingers and hope they put up a couple WAR.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (12-12-2017)

  17. #14
    DONOR BTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    24,896
    Thanks
    3,677
    Thanked 12,845 Times in 7,668 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    That's the only issue is what to do with him. The Smoak's and the Happ's of the world aren't going to hurt us if we hang on to them and just let them play their contracts out. The return for JD could make a big difference. The problem is if we get rid of him you can kiss being semi-competitive goodbye and it also just sends a message that we aren't even trying to compete.
    This is the first offseason in three years where the 'talk about winning, and field the best team you can while making no long-term commitments' strategy could actually hurt the future. It hasn't yet cost them anything to make a fake effort to compete while really looking at 2019 and beyond, but JD's looming free agency is a situation where the sooner decisive action is taken, the better things will look for the future. I don't really care whether it's a trade or extension, but his trade value is going to drop by a lot between now and July, and it would be a shame to waste an opportunity at a big haul because you're putting on a dog and pony show for the casual fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

    KevinGregg (12-12-2017),Spanky99 (12-12-2017)

  19. #15
    All Star Dick_Pole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,761
    Thanks
    317
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 835 Posts
    Am I the only one who thinks this isn't reaching that far into the dumpster and could be an adept move? He isn't like Bautista v2.0 he's several years younger. And the Jays have a pattern of much bigger turnips than him turning it around in their late-20's to early-30's with the team.

    The two things going against this move would be 1. The Jays don't really need another should-be DH defensive liability on this roster and 2. The team hasn't had very good recent luck when acquiring a player away from Coors.

  20. #16
    Hall of Famer Dr. Dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,130
    Thanks
    2,480
    Thanked 6,842 Times in 4,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    This is the first offseason in three years where the 'talk about winning, and field the best team you can while making no long-term commitments' strategy could actually hurt the future. It hasn't yet cost them anything to make a fake effort to compete while really looking at 2019 and beyond, but JD's looming free agency is a situation where the sooner decisive action is taken, the better things will look for the future. I don't really care whether it's a trade or extension, but his trade value is going to drop by a lot between now and July, and it would be a shame to waste an opportunity at a big haul because you're putting on a dog and pony show for the casual fans.
    I don't see this front office cutting themselves off at the knees with their most valuable player to assuage a fanbase, they are too shrewd for that. They are weighing all options, I don't see this reactionary need to rush to judgement. Pretty much everything they've done with this organization has been prudent, and I'm sure whatever course of action they choose with Donaldson will be the best option in light of all the information they have at their disposal (i.e. his willingness to sign an extension, what kind of trade offers they are getting for him, etc.)... information that we do not and will not have.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (12-12-2017)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •