Thread: Jays in on backup catcher's

Thanks
    Thanked 3,937 Times in 2,632 Posts

Jays in on backup catcher's

•Rosenthal also notes within that piece that the Giants, Blue Jays, Rangers and Twins are all looking for backup catchers as well. Any from that bunch could stand out as a reasonable landing spot for Avila, though he’s stated that his preference is to play for a contender even if it comes at the expense of some playing time.

Time to roll with one of the rookies in McGuire/Jansen or do you sign a vet?

I would prefer for the rooks to get more playing time in the minors. Alex Avila would be ideal Imo.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Chris Ianetta would’ve been nice.

Does Carlos Ruiz still have anything left in the tank? If so sign him to a 1year deal. If he flops we can always call up Jansen or McGuire.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 902 Posts
    What's Randy Knorr up to?

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    What other catchers could the Jays be in on?

Martin has what...one or two years left on his contract?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shart View Post
    What other catchers could the Jays be in on?

Martin has what...one or two years left on his contract?
    Chris Gimenez
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    •Rosenthal also notes within that piece that the Giants, Blue Jays, Rangers and Twins are all looking for backup catchers as well. Any from that bunch could stand out as a reasonable landing spot for Avila, though he’s stated that his preference is to play for a contender even if it comes at the expense of some playing time.

I would prefer for the rooks to get more playing time in the minors. Alex Avila would be ideal Imo.
    given what the angels have done with their team, I would think Avila would be a nice fit with them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to saskjayfan For This Useful Post:

Brownie19 (12-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,665 Posts
    I'm 100% positive that Pat Borders is still playing ball somewhere, we could get him on the cheap for sure...
    Deadpool is Right counter: 39
    Follow Blamethrower on Spotify

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadpool For This Useful Post:

fatcowxlive (01-13-2018)

Thanks
    Zaunie needs a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcanuck For This Useful Post:

fatcowxlive (01-13-2018)

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    I'm 100% positive that Pat Borders is still playing ball somewhere, we could get him on the cheap for sure...
    Isn't he our Roving Catching Instructor or some shit? He hasn't been the same since he had to switch cheeks for his plugs of chew. It threw his balance right off.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post

I would much rather bring up one of our prospects. I mean, why have them otherwise? This is not the time to logjam our minors. We don't have an uber blue chip prospect catcher that we need to keep on farm to increase team control. Let the kids play and see. Save that 4-6M.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SaskJaysFan_2 For This Useful Post:

KingKat (12-17-2017)

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Chris Ianetta would’ve been nice.

Does Carlos Ruiz still have anything left in the tank? If so sign him to a 1year deal. If he flops we can always call up Jansen or McGuire.
    Ugh. Ruiz will be 38-years old (IIRC). What's the point. Let the kids play and see what we have. This is not a WS contending year for us.

Thanks
    I'd leave Jansen at AAA to refine his defensive skills and hitting, and bring up McGuire as the backup. Defensively, he is apparently MLB calibre already.
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcanuck For This Useful Post:

KingKat (12-17-2017)

Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    I'd leave Jansen at AAA to refine his defensive skills and hitting, and bring up McGuire as the backup. Defensively, he is apparently MLB calibre already.
    I would leave both McGuire and Jansen at AAA at least to start the year. Neither has much experience at AAA and giving some seasoning there might increase the odds that either becomes a starter at the MLB level. Plus if you have both at AAA it will keep either from catching too many innings. Maybe let them each DH a little to get some extra at bats in.

I would go with Maille or someone similar and cheap as the backup. In the event that Martin went on the DL again I would then turn to either McGuire or Jansen, whomever looks most ready at the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,472 Times in 3,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate View Post
    I would leave both McGuire and Jansen at AAA at least to start the year. Neither has much experience at AAA and giving some seasoning there might increase the odds that either becomes a starter at the MLB level. Plus if you have both at AAA it will keep either from catching too many innings. Maybe let them each DH a little to get some extra at bats in.

I would go with Maille or someone similar and cheap as the backup. In the event that Martin went on the DL again I would then turn to either McGuire or Jansen, whomever looks most ready at the time.

Jansen everyday catcher at AAA. McGuire AA everyday catcher
    Asia's suicide rate is very high; I'll try to raise it a little bit next month.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Angrioter For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-25-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 995 Posts
    I'd love to see if McGuire can carry over the success he had with the bat last season. No way I want him rotting on our bench to start the season. As was pointed out, if Martin goes down, call up Jansen or McGuire to start.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (12-25-2017)