Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Saw this pleasantry on MLBTR...

Holy Fuck!
    That run he went on was ridiculous. Seems like he hit one out every at-bat.
    Last edited by Jonn; 01-13-2018 at 01:51 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonn For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-12-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Not pitching is better than coming back in September. Now they can not offer him arbitration (although I'd have to think that means the end of their relationship)
    Os and Britton have now agreed at $12m.

Blue Chip Prospect Rusty_Savage's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    That's the perfect example of why the players are being screwed. A system so flush with money that a Tommy Hunter can be paid $9m a year because he's 31 and been around for years, but stars like Correa and Bryant are paid small fractions of their market worth because of artificially keeping contracts low in the first few years of a player's career, is a system that is at best deeply unfair, and at worst is broken.
    But isn't that the same in every major sport? I'm pretty sure they all have rookie contracts. Bryant also just got paid 10 million per year, a record for a first year arb player. While 10 million a year may be under market value for a player of his ilk (and only a million more then Hunter) it's far from getting screwed. It's not a perfect system but it's not completely broken either.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Savage View Post
    But isn't that the same in every major North American sport? I'm pretty sure they all have rookie contracts. Bryant also just got paid 10 million per year, a record for a first year arb player. While 10 million a year may be under market value for a player of his ilk (and only a million more then Hunter) it's far from getting screwed. It's not a perfect system but it's not completely broken either.
    FTFY!

Glory's original point (which I agree with) wasn't that the system needs to be torn up, but that it needs to be adjusted.

The closed system and salary caps of the North American sports means that mandated contract limits for the first few years are sensible. The nature of baseball player development and the almost unique situation where a draftee isn't expected to contribute for years (if at all) makes baseball's salary rules stricter than others, which is again understandable.

The MLB system is set up so that in theory the first few years a player is underpaid, and then when they hit free agency they are compensated by being overpaid.

However, we're potentially seeing a trend where front offices are no longer as willing to pay for past performance, and are much more mindful of committing funds to aging players. As in Glory's original point a change to the system could help to alleviate this. Whether that's changing how arbitration is handled, bringing free agency forward, or something else, is debatable.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 708 Posts
    The issue is teams are starting to realize that the most valuable years of a player's career are their first six years. After that it becomes diminishing returns because they will start to be paid based on past performance and their future performance will likely dip, so there's not as much surplus value. That's why there are so many free agents left who are in their 30's. Teams, except for those run by Dombrowski, are not going to pay top dollar for a player's declining years anymore. Most players (unless they get called up very early) are free agents in the late 20's or 30's, so the first time they hit free agency will be when their prime is closer to being over (or already over) than it is to getting started. The time to get paid is during your prime because teams will be more likely to hand out bigger deals if they know they are getting more of the player's peak seasons. It won't hurt players like Machado and Harper next year, but it will hurt Donaldson.

I don't mind rookie contracts and things like that, but there has to be adjustments made. Starting arb sooner and increasing the minimum salary might be the safest compromise as it will still give teams six years of control but will give the player more money during that time. Best of both worlds.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to glory For This Useful Post:

Bobthe4th (01-13-2018)

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,944 Times in 2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    O’s and Britton have now agreed at $12m.
    That's a lot of money to have a guy barely pitch and then walk in free agency

Ouch

I guess it's a sign of good faith that MAYBE helps them retain him

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    The issue is teams are starting to realize that the most valuable years of a player's career are their first six years. After that it becomes diminishing returns because they will start to be paid based on past performance and their future performance will likely dip, so there's not as much surplus value. That's why there are so many free agents left who are in their 30's. Teams, except for those run by Dombrowski, are not going to pay top dollar for a player's declining years anymore. Most players (unless they get called up very early) are free agents in the late 20's or 30's, so the first time they hit free agency will be when their prime is closer to being over (or already over) than it is to getting started. The time to get paid is during your prime because teams will be more likely to hand out bigger deals if they know they are getting more of the player's peak seasons. It won't hurt players like Machado and Harper next year, but it will hurt Donaldson.

I don't mind rookie contracts and things like that, but there has to be adjustments made. Starting arb sooner and increasing the minimum salary might be the safest compromise as it will still give teams six years of control but will give the player more money during that time. Best of both worlds.
    Exactly. Some times, like the Tigers, as you've said, have learned this the hard way.. Miguel Cabrera, Jordan Zimmermann are humongous albatrosses on Detroit.. other notables include Albert Pujols of the Angels, who the Cardinals were smart not to extend him.. Jose Bautista of our Blue Jays(thank god we're out of that contract!), Kendrys Morales (sort of), Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval, and possibly David Price of the Red Sox.. and Chris Davis of the Orioles, an albatross of a contract that is going to lead to Machado heading elsewhere (Yankees?)..

Thanks
    Thanked 6,035 Times in 3,432 Posts
    I don't even think the system needs a huge tweek. Get rid of the super 2 rules and give everyone 4 years of Arbitration.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post

Ouch

When you have team control you can't penalise the player for suffering a freak injury. His projected value remains in arbitration. If he was a UFA he would have been penalised for not pitching most of this year.

Prospect
    Thanks
    Addison Reed to the Twins on a two year deal. For a short term commitment, I would have been interested in us signing him.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,072 Times in 6,207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post

Ouch

If he comes back when they hope 4-6 months from surgery(obviously the sooner, the better), they can retain some value in trade. Plus the O's likely have insurance on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysAllMighty View Post
    Boxcar
    Bitch on xanax causing ass rashes

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,725 Times in 2,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    If he comes back when they hope 4-6 months from surgery(obviously the sooner, the better), they can retain some value in trade. Plus the O's likely have insurance on him.
    I doubt they could get insurance on it. He basically just got the contract, so any insurer would probably tell them to take a hike. They're just hoping he comes back in time to trade at the deadline. A QA is possible too, but that's a lot to pay for that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    I doubt they could get insurance on it. He basically just got the contract, so any insurer would probably tell them to take a hike. They're just hoping he comes back in time to trade at the deadline. A QA is possible too, but that's a lot to pay for that.
    Good point, unless teams are able to put insurance on projected Arb monies?
    Boxcar

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    The Reed signing tells me that players might be starting to come down on terms.

Thanks
    I found this amusing...

The Twins’ Saturday agreement with Addison Reed “came out of nowhere” for new teammate and fellow reliever Fernando Rodney, a person close to Rodney told Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press. According to Rodney, the Twins promised him their closer role when they signed him last month to a deal that includes incentives for appearances and games finished. “We’ll see how it plays out,” the person told Berardino in regards to the Twins’ late-game setup. Another source informed Berardino that the Twins still plan to begin the season with Rodney as their primary closer.
    Boxcar

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AledmysDiaz View Post
    The Reed signing tells me that players might be starting to come down on terms.
    He's a reliever...
    Boxcar