Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball 2018

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Apparently the Pirates are connoisseurs of crap. Ours isn't ripe enough.
    I knew we should have kept Woodman. His K rate might have enticed the Pirates to do the deal 1 for 1.

Thanks
    Don't think Shatkins would risk sending 2 or 3 prospects for one year or someone.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,187 Times in 6,295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Kyle Crick is part of the return lol
    *sighs* I really hope Mark Cuban buys the Bucs, they're killing me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysAllMighty View Post
    Boxcar
    Bitch on xanax causing ass rashes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    *sighs* I really hope Mark Cuban buys the Bucs, they're killing me.
    I don't think Reynolds is a bad piece for what could be only a year of Cutch (who did just rebound from a crap season). Reynolds was one of the top college bats in last years class and looks like a pretty well rounded hitter so far. Probably starts in AA for the Bucs and might only be a year away. Likely a top 100 prospect after spring graduations, or at least by mid season if he continues to hit. If Crick turns out to be a good reliever that's a nice bonus.

I just don't think anyone would be lining up to hand over high end pieces for Cutch right now, especially with the FA market still sitting at a standstill. I get that it seems light for a big name OF though.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    I feel like we could've done better than Solarte for Edward Olivares in hindsight. Probably could've been the main piece in a McCutchen trade.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 858 Posts
    Alright, bring back AA. The fact that the Jays are one of 27 teams that were unable to capitalize on the Pirates just goes to show you that this FO is way too methodical and does not hustle nearly as much.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,561 Times in 1,023 Posts
    WTF is happening?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,310 Posts
    Well if the Pirates couldn't get premium prospects for 2 years of Gerrit Cole. They weren't going to get much of anything for Andrew McCutchen. Those are just embarrassing returns.

And it massively effects the trade market when teams aren't cashing in on premium players.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    WTF is happening?
    Baseball is very quickly becoming a young player's game. Teams are a lot less willing to include their top prospects in trade than they ever were.

Edit: Well, that and front offices are more adept at evaluating prospect trade value than they were previously.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,187 Times in 6,295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    I don't think Reynolds is a bad piece for what could be only a year of Cutch (who did just rebound from a crap season). Reynolds was one of the top college bats in last years class and looks like a pretty well rounded hitter so far. Probably starts in AA for the Bucs and might only be a year away. Likely a top 100 prospect after spring graduations, or at least by mid season if he continues to hit. If Crick turns out to be a good reliever that's a nice bonus.

I just don't think anyone would be lining up to hand over high end pieces for Cutch right now, especially with the FA market still sitting at a standstill. I get that it seems light for a big name OF though.
    Yeah, well I'm generally talking about the Org as a whole, not just this transaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysAllMighty View Post
    Boxcar
    Bitch on xanax causing ass rashes

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

Pendleton (01-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,065 Times in 3,456 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    When did the Pirates go derpy?
    Pittsburgh and SF just swapped spots as Depth Charts projected wildcard (SF jumps the Mets into the 1st WC, while Pittsburgh was the 2nd WC previously).
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    They are now reporting that Pittsburgh will send some cash as well

LOL

5:15pm: MLB.com’s Jon Morosi tweets that the Pirates actually will pay “a portion” of McCutchen’s salary.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,065 Times in 3,456 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    Well if the Pirates couldn't get premium prospects for 2 years of Gerrit Cole.
    I just don't get this narrative. They got back a pitcher who has 4 years of control and is projected better than Cole this year (2.7 to 2.6 by Steamer) plus they got a contact guy that completely changed his swing to almost double his flyballs last year, and a solid reliever. I think the Cole deal is a huge win for Pittsburgh...so much so that I think the Cutch deal is so much worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,836 Times in 2,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    I just don't get this narrative. They got back a pitcher who has 4 years of control and is projected better than Cole this year (2.7 to 2.6 by Steamer) plus they got a contact guy that completely changed his swing to almost double his flyballs last year, and a solid reliever. I think the Cole deal is a huge win for Pittsburgh...so much so that I think the Cutch deal is so much worse.
    They may also have gotten two relievers and filler for the minors. If they were being offered a Clint Frazier type, etc, they probably should have gone with quality over quantity. I'm glad they didn't, but still.

Thanks
    I agree, the Cutch deal is very bad....and now with hearing they sending money with him just makes it worse.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,354 Times in 923 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P2F View Post
    Baseball is very quickly becoming a young player's game. Teams are a lot less willing to include their top prospects in trade than they ever were.

Edit: Well, that and front offices are more adept at evaluating prospect trade value than they were previously.
    It's too bad the Jays couldn't figure this out the way the Cubs and Astros did. Build a strong young core first, then add veteran pieces later. This really isn't a new recipe.