Page 37 of 72 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 1,028 Posts
    I'm really curious to find out what the Jays offered for Yelich. It might be really dissapointing to find out the
    Jays had a better deal, but got rejected anyway just cause they wouldn't offer Vladito.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jerb For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-26-2018)

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 716 Posts
    Damn, they asked for Vlad, then settled for much less with another team. That sucks. A package centered around Alford for Yelich would have been incredible.

The Marlins gon be the Marlins, though.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,744 Times in 3,006 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Damn, they asked for Vlad, then settled for much less with another team. That sucks. A package centered around Alford for Yelich would have been incredible.

The Marlins gon be the Marlins, though.
    To be fair the return they got for Yelich isn't little, certainly much better than their other recent deals. They asked for Vlad hoping the Jays would be foolish or desperate enough to accept, but I'm sure they valued this deal highly.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orgfiller For This Useful Post:

KingKat (01-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,065 Times in 3,456 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    To be fair the return they got for Yelich isn't little, certainly much better than their other recent deals. They asked for Vlad hoping the Jays would be foolish or desperate enough to accept, but I'm sure they valued this deal highly.

Yes, FG put FV grades of 60, 55 and 50 on Brinson, Harrison and Diaz (40 on Yamamoto). The top 3 are arguably top 100 prospects. I'm just not a personal fan of them but the Marlins have stocked the pond...a bit but they don't even have anyone looking like they are a big fish moving up. It's like they will have a team of average regulars for the next 5 years. Then again they weren't winning with the best OF in baseball
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,013 Times in 7,768 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    I don't even understand the rationale behind this. Vlad Jr is a mega prospect and what the Brewers gave up doesn't even compare to the value of a Vlad Jr yet that was the expectation. Its baffling to me. Sounds like the Marlins decided to be petty. I'm just glad our front office went hard after Yellich and were willing to eat money to make it happen.
    I don’t think it’s really hard to understand: they like the Milwaukee guys enough that the only package Toronto could offer that would beat it would be Vlad
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-25-2018)

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,836 Times in 2,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I don’t think it’s really hard to understand: they like the Milwaukee guys enough that the only package Toronto could offer that would beat it would be Vlad
    Based on other reports (them apparently asking for Bo AND Vlad earlier), it's also possible that they really don't like Bo or Alford. That might have had more to do with it than anything else.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Pillar had to be involved

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ehjays For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,013 Times in 7,768 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Based on other reports (them apparently asking for Bo AND Vlad earlier), it's also possible that they really don't like Bo or Alford. That might have had more to do with it than anything else.
    Yeah, then not liking Bo or Alford much explains what we’ve heard about the Ozuna and Yelich negotiations.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    Yeah, the Marlins clearly target certain players regardless of how they are ranked, based on the Ozuna trade.

Interesting nonetheless to see the Jays were right there. I wonder what their offer was.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,836 Times in 2,109 Posts
    I wonder who the salary coming back would have been? Would we have eaten that ugly Chen contract?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,065 Times in 3,456 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    1. But all of those players did make the HOF, so they weren't snubbed. A few assholes voting a certain way doesn't make it systemic.

2. A lot of those events are from many years ago.

3. The most recent example, Raines, could be explained by other events. Him playing the bulk of his career in Montreal. The position he played being disadvantaged by voters. Lofton and Edmonds were both similar but slightly inferior players who were immediately jettisoned from the vote but both have superior WAR to McGriff who is hanging around. So there were other factors at play that make the situation not so clear and not related to race. I guess you could make a case for power numbers being favoured over speed and defense, which would disadvantage a greater proportion of black athletes versus white, but then you'd have to show that's specifically racist as opposed to baseball analysts just beginning to understand how players contribute to winning games.

4. I think you are cherry picking a few examples, exacerbated by your anecdote about hating Chipper Jones. Mussina is obviously a very big snub so far. We have to look at all possible factors why. Are voters punishing him because of the perceived disrespect to World Series winning manager Cito Gaston at the ASG 25 years ago? Is that considered playing the game the wrong way? If Mussina was black would you be using him as an example?
    I am talking about voters who informed the public that they did not vote for a certain individual citing the "Character clause". The BBWAA cherry pick certain ones...in the same way that you and I are cherry picking for our arguments. Only 2 of the 3 are pedantic fucks though.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,187 Times in 6,295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    I don't even understand the rationale behind this. Vlad Jr is a mega prospect and what the Brewers gave up doesn't even compare to the value of a Vlad Jr yet that was the expectation. Its baffling to me. Sounds like the Marlins decided to be petty. I'm just glad our front office went hard after Yellich and were willing to eat money to make it happen.
    Is what it is... Vlad was never there, friend-o!
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysAllMighty View Post
    Boxcar
    Bitch on xanax causing ass rashes

All Star
    Thanks
    If Shatkins was after Yelich even after acquiring Grichuk and Grandy, then maybe Pillar actually is available. I didn't think the Jays would actually trade him this winter, but if they somehow got Yelich, then we probably would have seen a Yelich/Grichuk/Granderson OF, unless they flipped Grichuk in that deal or a separate deal, which wouldn't make sense since Atkins was slobbering all over him in interviews and he seems to fit what the front office looks for in hitters. Pillar obviously doesn't.

To me KP is a ticking time bomb. Dude's value is going to plummet one of these years and I'd rather it not be in a Jays uniform. Sell high dammit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 784 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    If Shatkins was after Yelich even after acquiring Grichuk and Grandy, then maybe Pillar actually is available. I didn't think the Jays would actually trade him this winter, but if they somehow got Yelich, then we probably would have seen a Yelich/Grichuk/Granderson OF, unless they flipped Grichuk in that deal or a separate deal, which wouldn't make sense since Atkins was slobbering all over him in interviews and he seems to fit what the front office looks for in hitters. Pillar obviously doesn't.

To me KP is a ticking time bomb. Dude's value is going to plummet one of these years and I'd rather it not be in a Jays uniform. Sell high dammit.
    Agreed. And you and I are always right, mate!
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

Thanks
    This isn't the first time a team wouldn't touch the Jays prospect outside of Vlad and Bo in the last couple years isn't it? whats going on?