Thanks
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    Man what the fuck got into Sammy Sosa?
    White

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 718 Posts
    Loaiza's 2003 season right after leaving the Jays still stings.

Prospect
    Thanks
    Apparently a 6 year deal is not good enough for Arrieta coming off a 2.4 WAR Season. He is 31 years old, has a draft pick attached to him, and just lost a mile per hour in his fastball last year.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AledmysDiaz View Post
    Apparently a 6 year deal is not good enough for Arrieta coming off a 2.4 WAR Season. He is 31 years old, has a draft pick attached to him, and just lost a mile per hour in his fastball last year.
    It's demands like this that are freezing the free agent market.. players are demanding too many years and too much money. Unless things change soon, we'll be still seeing free agents unsigned well into March..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AledmysDiaz View Post
    But the Owners are colluding and ruining baseball. Right.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 718 Posts
    Yeah all this talk of collusion would have never happened if Boras just had his guys sign the ridiculous contracts they were offered. I hope the owners and players are smart enough not to let Scott f'n Boras cause a lockout.

Just to reiterate, trade Sanchez if/when he bounces back. Dealing with Boras for three years sounds like damn torture.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,850 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Yeah all this talk of collusion would have never happened if Boras just had his guys sign the ridiculous contracts they were offered. I hope the owners and players are smart enough not to let Scott f'n Boras cause a lockout.

Just to reiterate, trade Sanchez if/when he bounces back. Dealing with Boras for three years sounds like damn torture.
    Worse case they just take him to arbitration for three years. It's really not that big a deal. We're definitely not gonna be able to extend him though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (02-12-2018)

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 2,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Worse case they just take him to arbitration for three years. It's really not that big a deal. We're definitely not gonna be able to extend him though.
    Exactly

Accept 3 years of arbitration salaries, and trade him in his walk year or collect a draft pick when he leaves

Zero point attempting a pre-free agency extension, Boras clients never sign them

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 933 Posts
    https://nypost.com/2018/02/12/outspo...-yankees-camp/

It would not be spring training if Goose was not in the news lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy225 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (02-12-2018)

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy225 View Post

I remember rarely missing a sports update on the TV & radio during the '83-84 offseason in hopes of hearing that Gillick had signed Goose as a FA ... (after the Joey McLaughlin horror show.)

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 2,704 Posts
    Tim Lincecum giving a demo for MLB teams

Wonder if he can wrangle an MLB job

I'm sure lots of teams would take a flyer on a cheap deal if he looks serviceable

Thanks
    Thanked 8,192 Times in 6,300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy225 View Post

lol... what a dickcheese!
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysAllMighty View Post
    Boxcar
    Bitch on xanax causing ass rashes

Thanks
    Thanked 13,050 Times in 7,788 Posts
    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-opening-bell/

lmao @ the current state of FG
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,072 Times in 3,461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post

I know i'm a Boras fan, so my opinion is skewed, but he's one of the most interesting characters in baseball. Most of the front offices actually say they like dealing with him, and in most cases his players get what they demand (I can see a change in that though) but he's also tackling issues in the CBA publicly. Sometimes subtle like how he mentioned the Jays should have offered Sanchez a small raise as a show of good faith after his 2016 season. That had little to do with Sanchez, but much more to do with the CBA, and now the media has started to pick up on that story. Most agents are assholes and he's let himself be the face for baseball agents.

MBLPA needs agents to be the bad guys to get what they want. Is any of it good for baseball...nope. But the MLB nor the MLBPA care as much about what is good for baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

Thanks
    Did he suggest Sanchez take a pay cut for his shitty, injury plagued 2017 season?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    A good comment in response:

"This is the article I’ll have in mind when I let my membership lapse.

I don’t mean that as an attack on the author, who I commend for engaging with readers below. Nor as a disparagement of his approach to baseball – there are an infinite number of ways to enjoy the sport, and I’m glad he has found one that works for him – but it’s just not for me.

More specifically, it strikes me as undifferentiated from the overwhelming majority of sports content I can find online, and that’s not what I have come to FanGraphs for.

“Who cares where you are on the win curve?” and “Chicks dig the long ball!” are obviously perfectly valid perspectives – but they are ubiquitous. An angle that I can get from ESPN, or Yahoo Sports, or a seemingly infinite breadth of sites across the internet. Heck, I could go back and read old Mike Lupica and Dan Shaughnessy articles (or new ones, if they are still alive and writing about baseball).

I personally love baseball both on the field AND off the field; I enjoy thinking about a franchise over the long term – including things like the allocation of finite resources, player value versus player cost, etc. And from a less wonky angle, as a fan I DON’T want my team to “just go for it” every year. I appreciate that moving from 77 wins to 81 wins doesn’t increase my enjoyment of the game if it comes at the cost of a move from 84 to 89 wins next year.

For a long time, FanGraphs has been a great place to read about the sport from that analytical angle. That is clearly changing. I had been thinking that some of the recent articles were just frustrated, overwrought responses to a slow off-season. But this is different; this is an explicit choice to hire a writer whose first article, to me, turns away from what I have enjoyed most about the site.

I don’t mean for this to sound petty, and from the comments and votes below, it appears I may be in the minority. That’s good; I hope the people who work here find success and the remaining readers find enjoyment. In the same way I don’t begrudge a franchise owner who runs his/her team to maximize long-term success, I don’t begrudge Appelman if this is what he has to do to maximize ad revenue. Online content publishing is a brutally tough business, and maybe the previous content has proven too nichey and a more boilerplate approach is the answer financially. But I’ll just make one tiny vote with my wallet and look to dedicate my support elsewhere.

The internet is a hydra, and in the same way that FanGraphs’ audience may have initially sprung from what Baseball Prospectus became in the first few years post Nate Silver, I am hopeful this post-Cameron FanGraphs may ultimately open an outlet elsewhere for analytically-inclined authors to flourish.

Until then – So long, and thanks for all the fWAR."

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

BTS (02-13-2018),Deadpool (02-14-2018),Spanky99 (02-13-2018)