CLE
    Preview
    8:08 PM ET
Page 247 of 253 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247248249 ... LastLast
Results 3,937 to 3,952 of 4037

Thread: Around Baseball 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 13,794 Times in 8,178 Posts
    I wonder if all the butthurt morons are happy now that he’s apologized for telling the truth instead of giving the standard athlete bullshit response.
    jays4life19 ban counter: 3

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 5,430 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I wonder if all the butthurt morons are happy now that he’s apologized for telling the truth instead of giving the standard athlete bullshit response.
    Yeah, because forgiveness is something they are really known for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Can't wait to meet the new Matt Olson(s)!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,015 Posts
    People don't want the truth.

Thanks
    I dont know, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like I wasnt a little bothered by Votto's comments. I grew up playing in the Baseball Canada program, I know people who coached Joey and worked hard to get him drafted out of high school. I know those people take pride in what he's done and are working endlessly to promote and grow the game in Canada. It's a pretty big slap in the face to then hear that from arguably the greatest Canadian player of all time.

I've always liked Votto and still do. He's free to say and feel whatever he wants. He didn't need to apologize for it if that's how he feels, but he should recognize it was disrespectful. It's also just a little strange it comes a year after this article where he celebrates growing up and playing in Canada; "It means a tremendous amount to me."

http://torontosun.com/2017/05/29/no-...4-3dc0efbd07ea

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LGBJ29 For This Useful Post:

Brownie19 (05-16-2018),Spanky99 (05-16-2018),TBJ12 (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,123 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I feel Paul Joseph Watson wrote this comment. The way some of you spin shit to sound edgy is comical. Some people just enjoy watching the world burn.

The only person that came off “butt hurt” is Votto himself. What he should have done is dismiss the question. That would have been bad ass. That would have made his point. Attacking Canadian Baseball was a low blow. No need for it at all. It was completely unnecessary in anyway you could possibly fathom.
    Last edited by Jonn; 05-16-2018 at 10:39 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonn For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-16-2018),TBJ12 (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    I feel Paul Joseph Watson wrote this comment. The way some of you spin shit to sound edgy is comical. Some people just enjoy watching the world burn.

The only person that came off “butt hurt” is Votto himself. What he should have done is dismiss the question. That would have been bad ass. That would have made his point. Attacking Canadian Baseball was a low blow. No need for it at all. It was completely unnecessary in anyway you could possibly fathom.
    He didn't attack Canadian baseball. The point he's making is that he sees himself as a baseball player, not a Canadian baseball player. He doesn't care if he plays for the Blue Jays, and he doesn't care extra about Paxton's no-hitter because Paxton is Canadian.

I don't understand why anyone paying attention would prefer canned responses to actual honesty. That doesn't make sense to me at all. Would it have made you feel good inside if he lied about enjoying Paxton's no-hitter a little more than usual because Paxton is Canadian?

Also, I have no idea who Paul Joseph Watson is.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

5ToolPhenom (05-16-2018),Drumcliff (05-16-2018),P2F (05-16-2018)

Thanks
    Lol I am pretty sure votto didn't write the apology.

Totally different styles of speech between the initial comments and the apology

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinGregg For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dinger (05-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,513 Times in 6,150 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Unbelievable

Thanks
    He didn't attack Canadian baseball. The point he's making is that he sees himself as a baseball player, not a Canadian baseball player. He doesn't care if he plays for the Blue Jays, and he doesn't care extra about Paxton's no-hitter because Paxton is Canadian.

I don't understand why anyone paying attention would prefer canned responses to actual honesty. That doesn't make sense to me at all. Would it have made you feel good inside if he lied about enjoying Paxton's no-hitter a little more than usual because Paxton is Canadian?

Also, I have no idea who Paul Joseph Watson is.
    Idk saying "I dont care at all about Canadian Baseball" seems pretty clear to me but I'm not really interested in arguing semantics. If that was in fact the only point he was trying to make, he did a pretty poor job at annotating it. It could have been worded completely differently and it doesnt necessarily make those who saw the quotes butthurt morons simply because they didnt take them to fit an unspecified context.

I mean, especially the way the media portrayed it. To get real context I listened to the podcast. The comments were about an hour into the hour and a half show. Im not gonna blame the folks who took the headlines and quotes at surface level instead of searching through a worthless podcast like I did.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LGBJ29 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-16-2018)

Thanks

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wilko For This Useful Post:

P2F (05-16-2018)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,473 Posts
    "In his apology, Votto said being asked about baseball in Canada, the Blue Jays and the Paxton no-hitter recalled his resentment for not making Team Canada or being drafted by the Blue Jays out of high school and not being picked for the Olympic team while in the minors."

That statement would seem to indicate he cares a great deal about being a Canadian baseball player, and was pretty upset that he didn't get chance to rep Canada or play for the Jays when he was younger. Obviously those feelings lingered and his initial statement about not caring at all was born of that frustration.

Much like Brett Hull when he was passed over for even trying out for the World Championships for Canada in 1986, but was still eligible to play for the US and did, then always played for the US in future tournaments because he felt he owed it to them for giving him that chance.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-16-2018),wilko (05-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,231 Times in 3,560 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LGBJ29 View Post
    I dont know, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like I wasnt a little bothered by Votto's comments. I grew up playing in the Baseball Canada program, I know people who coached Joey and worked hard to get him drafted out of high school. I know those people take pride in what he's done and are working endlessly to promote and grow the game in Canada. It's a pretty big slap in the face to then hear that from arguably the greatest Canadian player of all time.

I've always liked Votto and still do. He's free to say and feel whatever he wants. He didn't need to apologize for it if that's how he feels, but he should recognize it was disrespectful. It's also just a little strange it comes a year after this article where he celebrates growing up and playing in Canada; "It means a tremendous amount to me."

http://torontosun.com/2017/05/29/no-...4-3dc0efbd07ea
    meh there are loads of us here that came through the OBA or Canadian Baseball. I've run tournaments, officiated (scorekeeper not umpire) Nationals 3 times and played for 12 years and watched teammates get screwed over by the National system (which is a million times better right now). I don't think any player owes shit to the teams they played for. In Ontario traditionally the system has held players back and forced them to the U.S. to get proper coaching/exposure. The Elite system works but the many have to pay for the few (once you are on the 3rd team you aren't elite anymore, just paying your $10K to fund those that they cut deals for). Treat the players better when here and maybe they will be happy to give back.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-16-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    meh there are loads of us here that came through the OBA or Canadian Baseball. I've run tournaments, officiated (scorekeeper not umpire) Nationals 3 times and played for 12 years and watched teammates get screwed over by the National system (which is a million times better right now). I don't think any player owes shit to the teams they played for. In Ontario traditionally the system has held players back and forced them to the U.S. to get proper coaching/exposure. The Elite system works but the many have to pay for the few (once you are on the 3rd team you aren't elite anymore, just paying your $10K to fund those that they cut deals for). Treat the players better when here and maybe they will be happy to give back.
    Screwed over in what way? Overuse for pitchers? Because I know they've always tried to get as much exposure to their players as possible. Even so if that's the case, as you have said it's improved. Wouldn't he want it to continue to improve so that players that are in a position similar to his have a greater chance at success? Because I can almost guarantee you any mistreatment isn't done maliciously.

You're right, he owes them nothing, sure. Just as no player owes the community anything when they start foundations or charities. You can still respect where you came from and try to reinforce positive change. Dominican players come from shit situations too, far worse than Canada. You dont see those players saying I dont give a shit about my homeland because America does it better.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to LGBJ29 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-16-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LGBJ29 View Post
    Idk saying "I dont care at all about Canadian Baseball" seems pretty clear to me but I'm not really interested in arguing semantics. If that was in fact the only point he was trying to make, he did a pretty poor job at annotating it. It could have been worded completely differently and it doesnt necessarily make those who saw the quotes butthurt morons simply because they didnt take them to fit an unspecified context.

I mean, especially the way the media portrayed it. To get real context I listened to the podcast. The comments were about an hour into the hour and a half show. Im not gonna blame the folks who took the headlines and quotes at surface level instead of searching through a worthless podcast like I did.
    But even if he doesn't care about Canadian baseball: why does it matter? He's just stating how he feels, right? You either care about something or you don't. That's not a decision you make. I still don't see why anyone would take issue with him being honest and not giving a canned response.

Thanks
    But even if he doesn't care about Canadian baseball: why does it matter? He's just stating how he feels, right? You either care about something or you don't. That's not a decision you make. I still don't see why anyone would take issue with him being honest and not giving a canned response.
    Yeah and thats fine, thats why I said " He's free to say and feel whatever he wants. He didn't need to apologize for it if that's how he feels"

Im not starting a petition or forming an angry mob, I dont rightly care that much. Just from my perspective it would be nice if he did care and tried to help the growth of the game up here

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LGBJ29 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-16-2018)