Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 901 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Jeter has just a couple of WAR more than Larry Walker, but played about 750 more games.

For the record, Rolen played 50 more games than Walker. By WAR, Walker ~ Rolen >> Jeter

Walker had no weaknesses in his game. It's ridiculous the short shrift he is getting from the HOF voters.
    Voters still look at position. Corner OF's are "supposed" to have gaudy offensive numbers, which middle infielders historically don't put up at the same level. Jeter gets more love for being a SS. Deserved or not, it's the way it is.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    Voters still look at position. Corner OF's are "supposed" to have gaudy offensive numbers, which middle infielders historically don't put up at the same level. Jeter gets more love for being a SS. Deserved or not, it's the way it is.
    Walker 7 Gold Gloves, deserved

Jeter 5 Gold Gloves, most undeserved

It is so easy to show Walker is far more deserving than Jeter. The HOF process is fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,820 Posts
    Rolen played what's probably the worst position for getting into the HOF. Third base is treated like an offensive position when it's a defensive one and that's why it's under-represented in the HOF. Rolen's excellent play at 3B should be valued more than Jeter's mediocre SS play but that's just not how it is.

Thanks
    This article clearly explains why Larry Walker isn't in the hall of fame.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...s-hall-of-fame

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TBJ12 View Post

I'm not clicking on a Bleacher Report link but doesn't it essentially come down to the Hall simply not knowing what to do with player who achieved the bulk of his production as a Colorado Rockie ?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,044 Times in 5,018 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Jeter being overrated has more to do with him being considered one of MLB's top stars each and every year he was in the league when in reality he only once was in the Top 5 for WAR. John is right as well, his defense was really shitty at times throughout his career. He was able to correct it mid career but it again tanked once he got old. Playing for the most storied franchise in sports and winning titles certainly helped with his rep. He's more than qualified for the HoF but his candidacy revolves around a lengthy and healthy career where he racked up lots of WAR and counting stats each year without actually putting up superstar numbers.
    The thing I find most detestable about Jeter is how much of a selfish asshole he was/is, specifically how he made the Yankees move A-Rod, a much better defensive SS, to play 3rd.

That and the gift baskets and I think Jeter is not only an overrated player, but a severely underrated douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Frag are you alive?
    I know King isn't... little prick.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TBJ12 View Post

Hmm, weird, i had been under the impression that Bleacher Report had improved from being a black hole of shit.

E: didn't Jim Edmonds fall off the ballot too? Man, the BBWAA should not have the authority that it does. They have no clue what they're doing. I think eventually they are going to change the HOF process but knowing baseball, probably won't be for awhile.
    Frag are you alive?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,073 Times in 6,207 Posts
    Hmm, weird, i had been under the impression that Bleacher Report had improved from being a black hole of shit.

E: didn't Jim Edmonds fall off the ballot too? Man, the BBWAA should not have the authority that it does. They have no clue what they're doing. I think eventually they are going to change the HOF process but knowing baseball, probably won't be for awhile.
    lol... flippin' horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysAllMighty View Post
    Boxcar
    Bitch on xanax causing ass rashes

Thanks
    Edmonds, Lofton, Kevin Brown...anyone else a major snub? Thank god Raines and Blyleven got in, at least and hopefully Edgar too. How do you name a fucking award after a guy and not put him in the Hall?
    Frag are you alive?

Thanks
    Edmonds, Lofton, Kevin Brown...anyone else a major snub? Thank god Raines and Blyleven got in, at least and hopefully Edgar too. How do you name a fucking award after a guy and not put him in the Hall?
    Trammel was pretty bad but the new version of the Veteran's Committee just fixed that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    Apparently KC offered 7 years, $147M. At least the AAV isn't totally bonkers.
    Boras is now claiming that those numbers are wrong and that Hosmer wants more anyway. I assume that probably means it includes various non guaranteed add ons like an all star bonus etc. Would be surprised if he turned down a truly guaranteed $150m deal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Walker 7 Gold Gloves, deserved

Jeter 5 Gold Gloves, most undeserved

It is so easy to show Walker is far more deserving than Jeter. The HOF process is fucked.
    I don't disagree with anything you're saying or that Walker is the superior player.

I'm really curious to see how Omar Vizquel fares. Imagine that D in the OF...but with that same O production. Would he even get a sniff? Not a chance.
    I bet he gets way more votes than he probably deserves. Was he a fantastic defensive SS? Yes. But he was not a very good offensive player....not at all. .688 career OPS. But 2877 hits. Curious to see if the voting has evolved at all...voters (used to/still) love their hits.

Thanks
    Duplicate post

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    How come all I hear is how good Hosmer is defensively, and yet his defensive runs saved are negative over the last few years.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AledmysDiaz View Post
    How come all I hear is how good Hosmer is defensively, and yet his defensive runs saved are negative over the last few years.
    Soft hands routine?

Thanks
    Scott Alexander to Dodgers, part of a 3 team trade. He's a ground ball machine with 5 years of control, seems like a nice pickup to go in their bullpen.