Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 65 to 80 of 426

Thread: Around Baseball 2018

  1. #65
    All Star SirBJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Maple
    Posts
    3,587
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Edmonds, Lofton, Kevin Brown...anyone else a major snub? Thank god Raines and Blyleven got in, at least and hopefully Edgar too. How do you name a fucking award after a guy and not put him in the Hall?
    Mussina so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to SirBJay For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-05-2018)

  3. #66
    Top 100 Prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    526
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 79 Times in 52 Posts
    Indians interested in moving Salazar for relief help.

  4. #67
    Hall of Famer Dr. Dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,131
    Thanks
    2,481
    Thanked 6,845 Times in 4,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreekFatAss View Post
    Indians interested in moving Salazar for relief help.
    That's kinda weird... he seems like he'd be an excellent reliever if they committed him to that role.

  5. #68
    All Star Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,855
    Thanks
    1,363
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    That's kinda weird... he seems like he'd be an excellent reliever if they committed him to that role.
    Seems like that would be more simple. Maybe they think a team would value Salazar (the SP) enough to offer a reliever who is better than what they'd project from Salazar as a RP, but I agree it's a weird idea.

  6. #69
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17,314
    Thanks
    14,470
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    Seems like that would be more simple. Maybe they think a team would value Salazar (the SP) enough to offer a reliever who is better than what they'd project from Salazar as a RP, but I agree it's a weird idea.
    Maybe it has to do with respecting the player's own desire to start rather than relieve? I mean he is an established starter and I couldn't blame him for opposing a move to the bullpen.

  7. #70
    Hall of Famer Dr. Dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,131
    Thanks
    2,481
    Thanked 6,845 Times in 4,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    I mean he is an established starter
    The thing that's most established is that he hasn't demonstrated durability as a starter. He's a 20 start starter.

  8. #71
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,192
    Thanks
    2,267
    Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreekFatAss View Post
    Indians interested in moving Salazar for relief help.
    We match up really well with them in a trade.

    What about Salazar and Naquin for Osuna+?

  9. #72
    Just Drafted
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    We match up really well with them in a trade.

    What about Salazar and Naquin for Osuna+?
    Would you do Salazar for Osuna 1 to 1.

    You would have a rotation with huge upside.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to AledmysDiaz For This Useful Post:

    Abomination (01-05-2018)

  11. #73
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,192
    Thanks
    2,267
    Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AledmysDiaz View Post
    Would you do Salazar for Osuna 1 to 1.

    You would have a rotation with huge upside.
    I think they both have 3 years of control left right? It would really depend on what I thought of Salazar's medicals. Salazar carries a lot more risk, but could turn out to be better over those three years. The market for good relievers is pretty insane right now. For elite relievers it's pretty nuts. It's close but I probably wouldn't do it.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-05-2018)

  13. #74
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17,314
    Thanks
    14,470
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    The thing that's most established is that he hasn't demonstrated durability as a starter. He's a 20 start starter.
    That's still enough for him to find employment as a starter with another team. If the Indians see more value in what good reliever could he provides as a starter is makes sense to trade him and avoid the uncertainty and pushback that might come with a transition.

  14. #75
    Just Drafted
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I think they both have 3 years of control left right? It would really depend on what I thought of Salazar's medicals. Salazar carries a lot more risk, but could turn out to be better over those three years. The market for good relievers is pretty insane right now. For elite relievers it's pretty nuts. It's close but I probably wouldn't do it.

    Too bad there are no other pathways for us acquiring Salazar. I can't imagine any of our other relief arms being enough to even start a package. As good as Leone was last year, I doubt he even starts a conversation.

  15. #76
    Hall of Famer Dr. Dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,131
    Thanks
    2,481
    Thanked 6,845 Times in 4,305 Posts
    Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports (LOL still gets me) reports that the Blue Jays, Orioles, Giants and Mets are among the teams that have shown interest in Carlos Gonzalez.

    The Rockies also haven't ruled out re-signing CarGo, although it doesn't appear that they view him as a priority at this point. Heyman notes that Gonzalez might be best off taking a one-year "pillow" contract in hopes of re-establishing his value following a disappointing showing in 2017. The 32-year-old batted .262/.339/.423 with 14 home runs and 57 RBI over 136 games for the Rockies last season.

  16. #77
    Moderator KingKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17,314
    Thanks
    14,470
    Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,820 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I think they both have 3 years of control left right? It would really depend on what I thought of Salazar's medicals. Salazar carries a lot more risk, but could turn out to be better over those three years. The market for good relievers is pretty insane right now. For elite relievers it's pretty nuts. It's close but I probably wouldn't do it.
    It's not a terrible trade on paper but if they have the same amount of control than it's just re-arranging the deck chairs in the hope that you can patch the bullpen more easily than the rotation. That makes it a bit underwhelming. And you're right that it doesn't feel like maximizing the return on Osuna. You would prefer a trade with potential benefits beyond the length of Osuna's current deal. That being said, I wouldn't entirely hate it. If for instance, the front office have reservations about Osuna going forward and think Salazar could turn the corner durability wise maybe it makes sense to shift their eggs to a different basket but they'd have to feel like they have a really good read on the future of both players to pull the trigger on something like this. It's not like the Jays front office is unfamiliar with Salazar. If they decided to place a bet on him, I would be cautiously optimistic about it but I think it's more likely that it doesn't happen.

  17. #78
    MVP
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    11,997
    Thanks
    662
    Thanked 2,728 Times in 2,028 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    It's not a terrible trade on paper but if they have the same amount of control than it's just re-arranging the deck chairs in the hope that you can patch the bullpen more easily than the rotation. That makes it a bit underwhelming. And you're right that it doesn't feel like maximizing the return on Osuna. You would prefer a trade with potential benefits beyond the length of Osuna's current deal. That being said, I wouldn't entirely hate it. If for instance, the front office have reservations about Osuna going forward and think Salazar could turn the corner durability wise maybe it makes sense to shift their eggs to a different basket but they'd have to feel like they have a really good read on the future of both players to pull the trigger on something like this. It's not like the Jays front office is unfamiliar with Salazar. If they decided to place a bet on him, I would be cautiously optimistic about it but I think it's more likely that it doesn't happen.
    Durability issues would certainly be a potential problem, but you're also talking about someone who put up a 3.21 xFIP last year as a starter, has never put up over 3.74 in the big leagues, and has ace stuff. I'll take that over Osuna easily, with the same control. Salazar, Stroman, and Sanchez for the next 3 years also is pretty damn sexy if they stay healthy.

  18. #79
    Hall of Famer Dr. Dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,131
    Thanks
    2,481
    Thanked 6,845 Times in 4,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Durability issues would certainly be a potential problem, but you're also talking about someone who put up a 3.21 xFIP last year as a starter, has never put up over 3.74 in the big leagues, and has ace stuff. I'll take that over Osuna easily, with the same control. Salazar, Stroman, and Sanchez for the next 3 years also is pretty damn sexy if they stay healthy.
    It's not just his inability to pitch deep into games and his inability to make 30 starts, he has serious injury red flags with both his elbow and shoulder. He's tantalizing but also very likely to completely break down at any time. It's also pretty gross to think about how abysmal our bullpen would be without our one good reliever. Osuna is the linchpin, behind him it's absolute shit. I'm sure Shatkins would be in on Salazar due to their history, but trading Osuna to get him doesn't seem like much of a net win.

  19. #80
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    2,440
    Thanks
    339
    Thanked 647 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    It's not just his inability to pitch deep into games and his inability to make 30 starts, he has serious injury red flags with both his elbow and shoulder. He's tantalizing but also very likely to completely break down at any time. It's also pretty gross to think about how abysmal our bullpen would be without our one good reliever. Osuna is the linchpin, behind him it's absolute shit. I'm sure Shatkins would be in on Salazar due to their history, but trading Osuna to get him doesn't seem like much of a net win.
    You donít rate any of Biagini, Barnes or Ramirez?

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-05-2018)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •