• PIT
    DET
    Preview
    4:05 PM ET
  • PIT
    DET
    Preview
    3:33 AM ET
  • HOU
    LAA
    Preview
    2:10 PM ET
  • CWS
    SEA
    Preview
    2:10 PM ET
  • COL
    SD
    Preview
    3:10 PM ET
  • SF
    WSH
    Preview
    3:45 PM ET
  • NYY
    MIN
    Preview
    6:35 PM ET
  • CIN
    ATL
    Preview
    6:40 PM ET
  • PHI
    ARI
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • BAL
    TB
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • TOR
    BOS
    Preview
    7:07 PM ET
  • CLE
    CHC
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • LAD
    MIA
    Preview
    7:35 PM ET
  • TEX
    OAK
    Preview
    8:05 PM ET
  • KC
    MIL
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
  • STL
    NYM
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
Page 6 of 111 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 96 of 1774

Thread: General 2018 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

  1. #81
    Just Drafted Todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 5 Posts
    Even with or without a Donaldson trade to say St.Louis.
    St. Louis is still the team that can help the jays with the outfield
    and starting pitching.

  2. #82
    MVP jaysfan2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,064
    Thanks
    132
    Thanked 432 Times in 345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    With the Solarte acquisition, this gives us roughly $20M left to spend assuming the opening day payroll is the same as last season ($165M). We still need a corner OF bat and a 5th starter. I'd be fine with giving ST invites to some AAAA guys and having them and guys like Pannone and Borucki compete for the 5th rotation spot. Spend the $20M on a good OF like a Lorenzo Cain.
    Don't forget Biagini is still around as well.

    As for the rotation, we really do need a 5th starter type badly.. and there are plenty of those, as this free agent market is basically dead as no teams will pay up and/or are cutting payroll for tax purposes like the Dodgers or Yankees, or are tapped out (Red Sox), or are rebuilding (Detroit, Chicago, KC, Tampa..), combined with a lot of trading this winter, leading to the slowest free agent market in years.

  3. #83
    Top 100 Prospect
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    560
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Teams are valuing free agents more consistently. Free agency has always been an overpayment.

    There are going to be serious bargains on the back end. Shatkins will have a real chance to improve this team in late Feb

    Assuming they have a payroll of 165 like we have been told.

  4. #84
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,125
    Thanks
    394
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    With the Solarte acquisition, this gives us roughly $20M left to spend assuming the opening day payroll is the same as last season ($165M). We still need a corner OF bat and a 5th starter. I'd be fine with giving ST invites to some AAAA guys and having them and guys like Pannone and Borucki compete for the 5th rotation spot. Spend the $20M on a good OF like a Lorenzo Cain.
    The pitching market is ass. It wouldn't surprise me if Shatkins just goes back to someone like Brett Anderson at the end of the day.

    Who the Jays get to fill one of the outfield spots will be critical. Whoever they sign can't be worse than 2017 Jose, but it needs to be a pretty decent player.

  5. #85
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 764 Times in 529 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    The pitching market is ass. It wouldn't surprise me if Shatkins just goes back to someone like Brett Anderson at the end of the day.
    I wouldn稚 be opposed to signing Chris Tillman on a 1 year deal for the 5th rotation spot. After his 2017 was ruined by injuries he値l be looking to rebuild his value.

  6. #86
    Top 100 Prospect
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    414
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 85 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    I wouldn稚 be opposed to signing Chris Tillman on a 1 year deal for the 5th rotation spot. After his 2017 was ruined by injuries he値l be looking to rebuild his value.
    I知 sure he値l have more advantageous options to rebuild value than facing the Yanks and Red Sox offences.

    We値l likely never benefit from pitchers looking to rebuild value unless we massively overpay.

  7. #87
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    5,357
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 981 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AledmysDiaz View Post
    Teams are valuing free agents more consistently. Free agency has always been an overpayment.

    There are going to be serious bargains on the back end. Shatkins will have a real chance to improve this team in late Feb

    Assuming they have a payroll of 165 like we have been told.
    Biagini is not a good starter. Get him back in the pen.

  8. #88
    All Star
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,170
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 473 Times in 328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    Biagini is not a good starter. Get him back in the pen.
    I agree....sign Lackey to a one year deal and borucki is first up if there is an injury.

  9. #89
    All Star Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    4,448
    Thanks
    1,546
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saskjayfan View Post
    I agree....sign Lackey to a one year deal and borucki is first up if there is an injury.
    I don't mind that idea. Lackey pitched well in the second half. Even if he can give us a handful of quality starts to begin the year, that may be enough before a younger arm (hopefully) pushes their way through.

  10. #90
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    6,123
    Thanks
    1,990
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saskjayfan View Post
    I agree....sign Lackey to a one year deal and borucki is first up if there is an injury.
    Lackey's a fucking douche. Hard no.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

    L54 (01-09-2018)

  12. #91
    All Star Krylian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    5,357
    Thanks
    676
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 981 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Lackey's a fucking douche. Hard no.
    Marcus says 'Hi'.

  13. #92
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    6,123
    Thanks
    1,990
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,108 Posts
    NJH - are you going to grace us with detailed suggestions on what moves you think the Jays should make this offseason? I really enjoyed reading and discussing your suggestions last year.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

    Gen.Disarray (01-09-2018),Terminator (01-09-2018)

  15. #93
    Hall of Famer Jonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Courtice, Ontario
    Posts
    15,231
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,435 Posts

  16. #94
    MVP
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13,022
    Thanks
    823
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,266 Posts
    Apparently the Solarte trade happened while Atkins was stuck on the tarmac at Pearson for four hours lol. He almost ran out of battery, and the plane was older and didn't have any ability to charge it. He had to finish the negotiations on his wife's phone.

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

    Brownie19 (01-10-2018),Deadpool (01-09-2018),JG34 (01-09-2018),Spanky99 (01-09-2018)

  18. #95
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    43,350
    Thanks
    44,760
    Thanked 8,601 Times in 6,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Apparently the Solarte trade happened while Atkins was stuck on the tarmac at Pearson for four hours lol. He almost ran out of battery, and the plane was older and didn't have any ability to charge it. He had to finish the negotiations on his wife's phone.
    Yeah, saw that on PTS, funny story.

  19. #96
    Moderator Deadpool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario
    Posts
    7,841
    Thanks
    11,436
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    Yeah, there's no way he's been carded since he was like 13...
    Deadpool is Right counter: 39
    Follow Blamethrower on Spotify


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •