Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Bring Dickey home.
    Dickey + Thole >>>> Cashner

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 716 Posts
    Garcia or Vargas would make sense. Dickey would as well but dammit I don't want to see him pitch for the Jays again.

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Garcia or Vargas would make sense. Dickey would as well but dammit I don't want to see him pitch for the Jays again.
    Same

Lynn, Cobb or bust

All Star
    Thanks
    Interesting that the Jays are either going for one year deals to older players (Estrada extension, Grandy, possibly the fifth starter) or trading for players with many years of pre-FA$ control left (Diaz, Solarte, Grichuk). No in between. They are also stacking up the AAA team with near ready prospects. This seems like the type of set up where the front office is bracing itself for a mid season sell off and don't want to commit to too many older players, while at the same time having cheap fill ins to take over positions in 2019, 2020, etc. They may not even want a free agent starter on a three year deal. Maybe the Morales deal has made them scared.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Interesting that the Jays are either going for one year deals to older players (Estrada extension, Grandy, possibly the fifth starter) or trading for players with many years of pre-FA$ control left (Diaz, Solarte, Grichuk). No in between. They are also stacking up the AAA team with near ready prospects. This seems like the type of set up where the front office is bracing itself for a mid season sell off and don't want to commit to too many older players, while at the same time having cheap fill ins to take over positions in 2019, 2020, etc. They may not even want a free agent starter on a three year deal. Maybe the Morales deal has made them scared.
    I think it's just being realistic

They're not trying to catch the Yankees

They're trying to field a better-than-500 team for 2018, a team with a (perhaps small) chance of competing for a wild card. They don't want to trade any top prospects because they know they'll be in good shape in 2-3 years if they keep them, and they don't want to hand out any bad contracts. So they're filling spots via smaller trades (Eg. Grichuck) and 1 year vetarean free agent deals (Eg. Granderson). It's a fairly "safe" plan I suppose.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post

They're trying to field a better-than-500 team for 2018, a team with a (perhaps small) chance of competing for a wild card. They don't want to trade any top prospects because they know they'll be in good shape in 2-3 years if they keep them, and they don't want to hand out any bad contracts. So they're filling spots via smaller trades (Eg. Grichuck) and 1 year vetarean free agent deals (Eg. Granderson). It's a fairly "safe" plan I suppose.
    It also means that if everything goes wrong a rebuild can be done fairly easily without being too controversial, but also if everything goes right there’s capacity to upgrade the team without too much disruption.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    It also means that if everything goes wrong a rebuild can be done fairly easily without being too controversial, but also if everything goes right there’s capacity to upgrade the team without too much disruption.
    Agreed

If you sign JD Martinez for 6 years 150M you're a lot less flexible that's for sure

Right now Tulo is our only really bad contract

Martin is still good at a critical position and Morales is only 2/26 left

8. The Following User Says Thank You to G-Snarls For This Useful Post:

Bobthe4th (02-09-2018)

All Star
    Thanks

I think it's a good plan, but they still need someone to throw innings in 2019 aside from Stroman (and I'm not assuming anything about Sanchez until he throws a full season after that blister issue). If there is some rotation option available at a depressed cost on a 2-3 year deal, it's still worth pursuing even if the team wants to avoid long term deals.

Of course, they could have pursued it and got shot down, so in that case a one year stop gap would make sense. Unless they can find a suitable trade, like for McHugh or someone like that.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,843 Times in 2,114 Posts
    Agreed

If you sign JD Martinez for 6 years 150M you're a lot less flexible that's for sure

Right now Tulo is our only really bad contract

Martin is still good at a critical position and Morales is only 2/26 left
    If Tulo bounces back to his predictions for next year (2.5 WAR assuming reasonable health), even his contract is probably break even.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    If Tulo bounces back to his predictions for next year (2.5 WAR assuming reasonable health), even his contract is probably break even.
    In a rebuild we’ll have tons of payroll space and can afford to carry Tulo. In a developing contender team he can provide veteran leadership to the young infield of Bichette and Gurriel. His contract reduces to $14m in 2020 too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Am I foolish to think he might still have another 130-140 wRC+ season left in him???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 1,028 Posts
    Am I foolish to think he might still have another 130-140 wRC+ season left in him???
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,537 Times in 932 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBJay View Post
    Yes.
    Thank you

Lol

I'll happily accept 100 with above average defense

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,843 Times in 2,114 Posts
    Yeah, I think so. But a 110 wRC+ and 3 WAR I think is definitely a possibility.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 787 Posts
    Thank you

Lol

I'll happily accept 100 with above average defense
    well thats pretty much the steamer projection, but how many games is Tulo going to miss, and how many nagging injuries will he play through.... will he even play a single game without pain......
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.