Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 593 to 608 of 841

Thread: General 2018 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

  1. #593
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    103
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Bring Dickey home.
    Dickey + Thole >>>> Cashner

  2. #594
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,935
    Thanks
    366
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 716 Posts
    Garcia or Vargas would make sense. Dickey would as well but dammit I don't want to see him pitch for the Jays again.

  3. #595
    DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    26,000
    Thanks
    1,778
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Garcia or Vargas would make sense. Dickey would as well but dammit I don't want to see him pitch for the Jays again.
    Same

    Lynn, Cobb or bust

  4. #596
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,935
    Thanks
    366
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 716 Posts
    Interesting that the Jays are either going for one year deals to older players (Estrada extension, Grandy, possibly the fifth starter) or trading for players with many years of pre-FA$ control left (Diaz, Solarte, Grichuk). No in between. They are also stacking up the AAA team with near ready prospects. This seems like the type of set up where the front office is bracing itself for a mid season sell off and don't want to commit to too many older players, while at the same time having cheap fill ins to take over positions in 2019, 2020, etc. They may not even want a free agent starter on a three year deal. Maybe the Morales deal has made them scared.

  5. #597
    DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    26,000
    Thanks
    1,778
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glory View Post
    Interesting that the Jays are either going for one year deals to older players (Estrada extension, Grandy, possibly the fifth starter) or trading for players with many years of pre-FA$ control left (Diaz, Solarte, Grichuk). No in between. They are also stacking up the AAA team with near ready prospects. This seems like the type of set up where the front office is bracing itself for a mid season sell off and don't want to commit to too many older players, while at the same time having cheap fill ins to take over positions in 2019, 2020, etc. They may not even want a free agent starter on a three year deal. Maybe the Morales deal has made them scared.
    I think it's just being realistic

    They're not trying to catch the Yankees

    They're trying to field a better-than-500 team for 2018, a team with a (perhaps small) chance of competing for a wild card. They don't want to trade any top prospects because they know they'll be in good shape in 2-3 years if they keep them, and they don't want to hand out any bad contracts. So they're filling spots via smaller trades (Eg. Grichuck) and 1 year vetarean free agent deals (Eg. Granderson). It's a fairly "safe" plan I suppose.

  6. #598
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    2,563
    Thanks
    356
    Thanked 680 Times in 469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    I think it's just being realistic

    They're not trying to catch the Yankees

    They're trying to field a better-than-500 team for 2018, a team with a (perhaps small) chance of competing for a wild card. They don't want to trade any top prospects because they know they'll be in good shape in 2-3 years if they keep them, and they don't want to hand out any bad contracts. So they're filling spots via smaller trades (Eg. Grichuck) and 1 year vetarean free agent deals (Eg. Granderson). It's a fairly "safe" plan I suppose.
    It also means that if everything goes wrong a rebuild can be done fairly easily without being too controversial, but also if everything goes right there’s capacity to upgrade the team without too much disruption.

  7. #599
    DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    26,000
    Thanks
    1,778
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    It also means that if everything goes wrong a rebuild can be done fairly easily without being too controversial, but also if everything goes right there’s capacity to upgrade the team without too much disruption.
    Agreed

    If you sign JD Martinez for 6 years 150M you're a lot less flexible that's for sure

    Right now Tulo is our only really bad contract

    Martin is still good at a critical position and Morales is only 2/26 left

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to G-Snarls For This Useful Post:

    Bobthe4th (02-09-2018)

  9. #600
    All Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,935
    Thanks
    366
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    I think it's just being realistic

    They're not trying to catch the Yankees

    They're trying to field a better-than-500 team for 2018, a team with a (perhaps small) chance of competing for a wild card. They don't want to trade any top prospects because they know they'll be in good shape in 2-3 years if they keep them, and they don't want to hand out any bad contracts. So they're filling spots via smaller trades (Eg. Grichuck) and 1 year vetarean free agent deals (Eg. Granderson). It's a fairly "safe" plan I suppose.
    I think it's a good plan, but they still need someone to throw innings in 2019 aside from Stroman (and I'm not assuming anything about Sanchez until he throws a full season after that blister issue). If there is some rotation option available at a depressed cost on a 2-3 year deal, it's still worth pursuing even if the team wants to avoid long term deals.

    Of course, they could have pursued it and got shot down, so in that case a one year stop gap would make sense. Unless they can find a suitable trade, like for McHugh or someone like that.

  10. #601
    MVP
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    12,348
    Thanks
    704
    Thanked 2,843 Times in 2,114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Agreed

    If you sign JD Martinez for 6 years 150M you're a lot less flexible that's for sure

    Right now Tulo is our only really bad contract

    Martin is still good at a critical position and Morales is only 2/26 left
    If Tulo bounces back to his predictions for next year (2.5 WAR assuming reasonable health), even his contract is probably break even.

  11. #602
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    2,563
    Thanks
    356
    Thanked 680 Times in 469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    If Tulo bounces back to his predictions for next year (2.5 WAR assuming reasonable health), even his contract is probably break even.
    In a rebuild we’ll have tons of payroll space and can afford to carry Tulo. In a developing contender team he can provide veteran leadership to the young infield of Bichette and Gurriel. His contract reduces to $14m in 2020 too.

  12. #603
    DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    26,000
    Thanks
    1,778
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    If Tulo bounces back to his predictions for next year (2.5 WAR assuming reasonable health), even his contract is probably break even.
    Am I foolish to think he might still have another 130-140 wRC+ season left in him???

  13. #604
    All Star SirBJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Maple
    Posts
    3,655
    Thanks
    2,811
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 1,028 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Am I foolish to think he might still have another 130-140 wRC+ season left in him???
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

  14. #605
    All Star Sammy225's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,800
    Thanks
    313
    Thanked 1,537 Times in 932 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Am I foolish to think he might still have another 130-140 wRC+ season left in him???

  15. #606
    DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    26,000
    Thanks
    1,778
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBJay View Post
    Yes.
    Thank you

    Lol

    I'll happily accept 100 with above average defense

  16. #607
    MVP
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    12,348
    Thanks
    704
    Thanked 2,843 Times in 2,114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Am I foolish to think he might still have another 130-140 wRC+ season left in him???
    Yeah, I think so. But a 110 wRC+ and 3 WAR I think is definitely a possibility.

  17. #608
    MVP Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,295
    Thanks
    382
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Snarls View Post
    Thank you

    Lol

    I'll happily accept 100 with above average defense
    well thats pretty much the steamer projection, but how many games is Tulo going to miss, and how many nagging injuries will he play through.... will he even play a single game without pain......
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •