Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 257 to 265 of 265

Thread: General 2018 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

  1. #257
    MVP Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,887
    Thanks
    357
    Thanked 992 Times in 753 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post
    Todd one thing I you are forgetting in your analysis is that the Jays have Anthony Alford who is extremely under-rated by the projection systems because of his late start and unusual football background.

    Alford, is probably the best athlete in the system bar none. He also has a great eye at the plate. His minor league stats, show this (.280 .375 .400 or so), but that is only scratching the surface, because Alford was learning so much in the minor leagues.

    .300 .400 .450 is not out of range for Alford, which with his projected defense could be an impact 6-8 WAR players. There is no telling how great Alford could become if his power develops.

    So Alford could be the impact player that brings the Jays from 83 wins to almost 90.

    Alford my friend, Alford, the scouts already like him, the statheads already like him, and he could be the biggest upside wild card in baseball history.
    The biggest IF of all is his health.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

  2. #258
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    5,624
    Thanks
    1,821
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post
    Todd one thing I you are forgetting in your analysis is that the Jays have Anthony Alford who is extremely under-rated by the projection systems because of his late start and unusual football background.

    Alford, is probably the best athlete in the system bar none. He also has a great eye at the plate. His minor league stats, show this (.280 .375 .400 or so), but that is only scratching the surface, because Alford was learning so much in the minor leagues.

    .300 .400 .450 is not out of range for Alford, which with his projected defense could be an impact 6-8 WAR players. There is no telling how great Alford could become if his power develops.

    So Alford could be the impact player that brings the Jays from 83 wins to almost 90.

    Alford my friend, Alford, the scouts already like him, the statheads already like him, and he could be the biggest upside wild card in baseball history.


    That's how you troll Todd folks. That's how it's done. Could you imagine if the Blue Jays 103rd ranked prospect broke out and carried the team to the playoffs?

  3. #259
    Super Moderator TheHurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    12,273
    Thanks
    944
    Thanked 6,027 Times in 3,427 Posts
    I was asked by my boys and board donors at AJ Sports Cards to let you know that Vlad Jr. will be signing autographs at 1:00 pm on January 21st at the Toronto Sports Expo. Located at 3710 Chesswood Dr In North York ON M3J 2W4, the Montecassino has free parking and is easy access near Highway 401 and the Sheppard West Subway Station. Please contact [email protected]

    Guests at the Autograph Pavilion:
    Joe Sakic
    Frederik Andersen
    Nikita Zaitsev *
    Connor Brown *
    Michael Bisping
    Yvan Cournoyer
    Todd Bertuzzi
    Chris Osgood
    Roberto Alomar
    Vladimir Guerrero Jr
    DeVier Posey
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

    Pendleton (Today),Terminator (Today)

  5. #260
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    2,416
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 635 Times in 438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    I disagree on the bullpen. It's not elite but it's not horrible either.
    Yeah 7th bullpen by WAR in 2017. OK there's no Joe Smith anymore, but that's offset by the awful Bolsinger and past it Grilli no longer being here.

    Outside of Osuna it's OK, some players will be good, some will suck - but that's what relievers do!

  6. #261
    All Star THANOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Bowmanville, ON
    Posts
    4,810
    Thanks
    3,806
    Thanked 529 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post
    Todd one thing I think you are forgetting in your analysis is that the Jays have Anthony Alford who is extremely under-rated by the projection systems because of his late start and unusual football background.

    Alford, is probably the best athlete in the system bar none. He also has a great eye at the plate. His minor league stats, show this (.280 .375 .400 or so), but that is only scratching the surface, because Alford was learning so much in the minor leagues.

    .300 .400 .450 is not out of range for Alford, which with his projected defense could be an impact 6-8 WAR players. There is no telling how great Alford could become if his power develops.

    So Alford could be the impact player that brings the Jays from 83 wins to almost 90.

    Alford my friend, Alford, the scouts already like him, the statheads already like him, and he could be the biggest upside wild card in baseball history.
    LMAO playing with Todd pyro fire I see? I like it .

  7. #262
    All Star Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,830
    Thanks
    1,354
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Yeah 7th bullpen by WAR in 2017. OK there's no Joe Smith anymore, but that's offset by the awful Bolsinger and past it Grilli no longer being here.

    Outside of Osuna it's OK, some players will be good, some will suck - but that's what relievers do!
    I see the bullpen as a big wildcard at this point. If the plan is to start Biagini then that's a blow to the perceived outlook. A lot will depend on whether some of the stronger performers from last season are for real - definitely lacking in veteran dependability as of now.

  8. #263
    Big Leaguer Bobthe4th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Leeds (England)
    Posts
    2,416
    Thanks
    333
    Thanked 635 Times in 438 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendleton View Post
    I see the bullpen as a big wildcard at this point. If the plan is to start Biagini then that's a blow to the perceived outlook. A lot will depend on whether some of the stronger performers from last season are for real - definitely lacking in veteran dependability as of now.
    I agree, but I'd point out that there isn't really any such thing as veteran dependability for non elite relievers. Pretty much every reliever is a wildcard, e.g. I don't think anyone would have predicted that Leone and Tepera would be our best relievers in 2017 outside of Osuna, and J.P. Howell would be so bad that he was DFA.

  9. #264
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post
    Todd one thing I think you are forgetting in your analysis is that the Jays have Anthony Alford who is extremely under-rated by the projection systems because of his late start and unusual football background.

    Alford, is probably the best athlete in the system bar none. He also has a great eye at the plate. His minor league stats, show this (.280 .375 .400 or so), but that is only scratching the surface, because Alford was learning so much in the minor leagues.

    .300 .400 .450 is not out of range for Alford, which with his projected defense could be an impact 6-8 WAR players. There is no telling how great Alford could become if his power develops.

    So Alford could be the impact player that brings the Jays from 83 wins to almost 90.

    Alford my friend, Alford, the scouts already like him, the statheads already like him, and he could be the biggest upside wild card in baseball history.
    Early favorite for post of the year, if for no other reason than the fact you can read between the lines and hear 'go pound sand, Todd' loud and clear.

  10. #265
    All Star Pendleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,830
    Thanks
    1,354
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    I agree, but I'd point out that there isn't really any such thing as veteran dependability for non elite relievers. Pretty much every reliever is a wildcard, e.g. I don't think anyone would have predicted that Leone and Tepera would be our best relievers in 2017 outside of Osuna, and J.P. Howell would be so bad that he was DFA.
    Oh yeah I agree that bullpens are a crapshoot in general, but I'm just saying our's is especially unpredictable with so few guys have tenured success in high leverage roles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •