COL 0
    Pre-Game
    10:10 PM ET
Page 34 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: General 2018 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 8,818 Times in 6,768 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I think the Jays might approach his side during ST, at least that's the vibe I'm getting. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
    They already have...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (02-07-2018),Terminator (02-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    What are you basing this on? The only case we can draw from so far with the Shatkins regime is EE - and this FO offered EE more than Cleveland gave him.
    JD wants to get paid. Here's saying exactly what you expect... 'I'd love to stay here long term', but when the chips are down, he's gonna go to a big market with deep pockets. And I'm not saying the Jays should get into a bidding war with anyone. I'm just saying he's gonna look for a big payday and that isn't going to be here. We'll see in less than a year if I'm right or wrong.

... Assuming he isn't dealt n July when the Jays are out of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    JD wants to get paid. Here's saying exactly what you expect... 'I'd love to stay here long term', but when the chips are down, he's gonna go to a big market with deep pockets. And I'm not saying the Jays should get into a bidding war with anyone. I'm just saying he's gonna look for a big payday and that isn't going to be here. We'll see in less than a year if I'm right or wrong.

You very well could be right - but that wouldn't justify you're baseless assumptions.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    You very well could be right - but that wouldn't justify you're baseless assumptions.
    The market has changed. JD is going to be 33 in his first year of free agency. The market has changed and teams aren't paying older players. I don't think he's going to get the insane offers. Teams just aren't paying older players anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,112 Times in 1,232 Posts
    With Machado, Harper and Kershaw becoming free agents next year, and with the dismal state of the market this year, players would be wise to re-sign with their current teams for reasonable amounts rather than test the free market. Maybe something like 5/125 could land JD?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post

If the last 2 off-seasons taught us anything its that there won't be teams lining up to give a 33-year old a 5 year 150M contract that he is likely to command. Josh Donaldson is a great player but age is not on his side. If hes been offered a significant offer by the Blue Jays he should be probably sign that. Free agent class is so star studded. I don't think the losers of Manny Machado/Bryce Harper is going to turn around a try to sign Donaldson to a monster contract.

Banned
    Thanks
    Shapiro and Atkins are respectful

They would not give Donaldson's agent a number that was extreme lowballing. I would imagine that number is in the 5/100 plus options range or 5/115.

Atkins said that such a contract would ensure Donaldson retires a Bluejays and I don't think the AAV would be less than what he is making now.

5/115 with Options is where the Jays sit ( pure guess )

Thanks
    Thanked 6,238 Times in 3,563 Posts
    You are all fucked in the head. JD Martinez has received a 5 year $125M offer and he isn't even a top 60 player over the past 3 years. How bad of a season would Donaldson have to have to be considering accepting something in that range? He's projected to have another 6 win season this year. Who was the last free agent who was projected for a 5 win season? David Price and he got paid...last hitter? Heyward might have been close but I figure it was around 4.5. I assume it's Cano in 2013, who was 31 and has put up 16.4 WAR in the 4 seasons since (and is projected over 3 in his age 36 season.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (02-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 1,660 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    You are all fucked in the head. JD Martinez has received a 5 year $125M offer and he isn't even a top 60 player over the past 3 years. How bad of a season would Donaldson have to have to be considering accepting something in that range? He's projected to have another 6 win season this year. Who was the last free agent who was projected for a 5 win season? David Price and he got paid...last hitter? Heyward might have been close but I figure it was around 4.5. I assume it's Cano in 2013, who was 31 and has put up 16.4 WAR in the 4 seasons since (and is projected over 3 in his age 36 season.
    Well JD Martinez is 30, Donaldson will be 33. The 5 for 125 number I threw out is a pipe dream which involves some realistic thinking on what the front office might offer combined with some really optimistic thinking on what Donaldson would accept. Justin Turner was an older 3B who signed for about half of what he was worth, if Donaldson truly wants to stay in TO it's not completely fucked in the head thinking. Maybe 6 for 180?

Thanks
    Well JD Martinez is 30, Donaldson will be 33. The 5 for 125 number I threw out is a pipe dream which involves some realistic thinking on what the front office might offer combined with some really optimistic thinking on what Donaldson would accept. Justin Turner was an older 3B who signed for about half of what he was worth, if Donaldson truly wants to stay in TO it's not completely fucked in the head thinking. Maybe 6 for 180?
    That number is more realistic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 840 Posts
    30 AAV yes but the 6th year, I can't see Shatkins buying age 39 JD
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

Thanks
    6/180 could look very bad in as little as 2 years. IMO JD needs to have an injury free year to try to get anywhere near a six year commitment from us when for at least the near future we're not going to be one of the main contenders.

If last year was the beginning of his body starting to break down injury wise (separate from any natural skills age based regression) we might be committing to a player who regularly misses half a season.

Thanks
    Of course he could be fully fit this year, put up 8 WAR and be worth a monster contract. As a professional sportsman he'll be backing himself to do that, so he probably won't sign an early extension now.

If we were closer to the peak of our cycle of competitiveness I'd be less concerned with a 6 year commitment, as you have to overpay to secure elite talent in free agency.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    6/180 could look very bad in as little as 2 years. IMO JD needs to have an injury free year to try to get anywhere near a six year commitment from us when for at least the near future we're not going to be one of the main contenders.

If last year was the beginning of his body starting to break down injury wise (separate from any natural skills age based regression) we might be committing to a player who regularly misses half a season.
    C'mon, man. You actually believe that? NVM...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    C'mon, man. You actually believe that?
    Obviously that's a worse case scenario (see my subsequent post!). But yeah I don't think we should be giving $30m a year for 6 years to a player who will be 33 when the extension kicks in, when his most recent (age 31) season was marred by injuries.

IMO it's too big a risk considering we're at least 1 or 2 years away from competing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Obviously that's a worse case scenario (see my subsequent post!). But yeah I don't think we should be giving $30m a year for 6 years to a player who will be 33 when the extension kicks in, when his most recent (age 31) season was marred by injuries.

IMO it's too big a risk considering we're at least 1 or 2 ears away from competing.
    This is all conjecture, it doesn't really matter, all things being equal. I saw your follow up... hence the never mind, edit. He's getting 30 AAV, just a matter of how long is the term.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

Bobthe4th (02-07-2018)