Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: General 2018 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 8,187 Times in 6,295 Posts
    Jays to sign Axford to a minor league deal...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...hn-axford.html
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysAllMighty View Post
    Boxcar
    Bitch on xanax causing ass rashes

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

TBJ12 (02-08-2018)

Thanks
    I'm from the same town as Axford. Hopefully he rebounds and sticks with the big club.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,561 Times in 1,023 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    Still throws hard just didnít throw any strikes last year.
    um...he's never thrown any strikes. Career 4.55 BB/9 is fucking awful.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (02-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    True. Canít argue with that.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    he also has a career 3.63 FIP. He strikes out a lot of batters. If he can get his walk rate just a tick lower than his career average he could provide a few innings in the bullpen while giving killer weekly movie reviews.

Prospect
    Thanks
    Why would he be able to get his walks lower at this stage of his career. Seems like a nothing signing to me except for he is from around here and probably asked the team if he can have a nothing $$ minor league deal

There is an extremely low probability that he makes the club and an even lower probability that he is any good.

Best case scenerio for him is that we end up with multiple injuries and he ends up pitching a few innings of replacement level baseball.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AledmysDiaz View Post
    Why would he be able to get his walks lower at this stage of his career. Seems like a nothing signing to me except for he is from around here and probably asked the team if he can have a nothing $$ minor league deal

There is an extremely low probability that he makes the club and an even lower probability that he is any good.

Best case scenerio for him is that we end up with multiple injuries and he ends up pitching a few innings of replacement level baseball.
    not that low of a chance making the club, the bullpen is dog shit as is.

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,985 Times in 2,700 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post
    I've always liked Axford for no really good reason.
    It's the stache... And it's OK to like him for it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to G-Snarls For This Useful Post:

z3r0s (02-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,437 Posts
    The score told me the Jays want Cashner or someone else on a 1 year deal. I think Heyman originally tweeted it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    The score told me the Jays want Cashner or someone else on a 1 year deal. I think Heyman originally tweeted it.
    I remember watching Cashner in 2015 and thinking how he looked dominant. He's been super underwhelming ever since.

Thanks
    Blue Jays Reportedly Interested In Andrew Cashner
    By Steve Adams | February 9, 2018 at 10:45am CDT
    The Blue Jays are showing “continued interest” in free-agent righty Andrew Cashner, tweets MLB.com’s Jon Morosi, though he’s one of several starters they’re eyeing. The Jays have a need for a fifth starter to round out their rotation, and Morosi suggests that they’re hoping to fill that vacancy on a one-year deal. It’s not a surprise to see the Jays (or any team, for that matter) preferring a one-year term on the free-agent market, but Cashner reportedly entered the offseason in hopes of securing a three-year pact.
    It’s possible that the crawling pace of the offseason has lessened his demands to an extent, but there’s been no indication that Cashner is willing to jump on a one-year offer to date. The 31-year-old made 28 starts for the Rangers last season and posted a 3.40 ERA, albeit one that looks to be largely smoke and mirrors. Cashner’s 4.64 K/9 rate was the second-lowest in the Majors, and his 3.46 BB/9 rate was worse than the league average. Overall, his K%-BB% of just 3.1 percent was the worst of any qualified pitcher in baseball, leading fielding-independent metrics like xFIP (5.30) and SIERA (5.52) to paint an unflattering picture of his work.
    The said, Cashner’s fastball averaged better than 93 mph, his 48.6 percent ground-ball rate was comfortably above the league average, and he demonstrated the home-run suppression skills he’s shown for much of his career despite a move to a hitter-friendly setting in Arlington (0.81 HR/9). Cashner did rely less on his four-seam fastball with the Ranges than he ever has in previous seasons, instead favoring more cutters/sinkers. Some clubs may believe that altering that pitch selection a bit could restore some his strikeout prowess.
    The Blue Jays currently project to have Aaron Sanchez, Marcus Stroman, J.A. Happ and Marco Estrada in the top four spots of their rotation. Joe Biagini was their most frequent fifth starter in 2017, though he struggled in a move to the rotation after enjoying success as a reliever in his 2016 rookie season, when he was a Rule 5 pick. Prospect Ryan Borucki is close to big league ready and could conceivably step into the mix, though it stands to reason that the Jays would prefer to ease him into a big league job rather than throw him directly into the fire in the season’s first couple of weeks (without much of a veteran fallback option in place, should he struggle).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 858 Posts
    This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The market efficiency this year looks like pitchers on shorter term contract. The Jays could use a guy for three years given the lack of commitments to anyone in the rotation. Why go after a guy like Cashner who was looking for three years and might have to settle for one when you could go after Lynn or Cobb who might have been looking for five years but might have to settle for three?

Aim higher first. Of course I could just be completely out of the loop on these things and the Jays' FO may have already exhausted their efforts for Lynn or Cobb by now thus the Cashner rumours.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,437 Posts
    Bring Dickey home.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,037 Posts
    its really not that crazy. He won't command much and gives you innings every damn year.
    I'd be totally open to it if other options dry up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The market efficiency this year looks like pitchers on shorter term contract. The Jays could use a guy for three years given the lack of commitments to anyone in the rotation. Why go after a guy like Cashner who was looking for three years and might have to settle for one when you could go after Lynn or Cobb who might have been looking for five years but might have to settle for three?

Aim higher first. Of course I could just be completely out of the loop on these things and the Jays' FO may have already exhausted their efforts for Lynn or Cobb by now thus the Cashner rumours.
    I've been preaching this for awhile now. I trust they've done their due diligence. Cashner is pretty underwhelming though unless they think they can tweak his approach and turn back to the clock to 2015.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post
    its really not that crazy. He won't command much and gives you innings every damn year.
    I'd be totally open to it if other options dry up.
    F that. Aim higher. You want someone who has the upside to net you something of value at the trade deadline. You're looking for someone who's good, but always hurt. You pray they hold together for the year. Jaime Garcia might fit the mold.