CWS
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
Page 10 of 113 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: General 2018 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Key22 View Post
    With the Yellich rumours flying - I listened to a podcast on fan590 about a strait up swap of Bo Bichette for Christian Yellich. The pundit feeling that Bo isn't good enough to be a starting shortstop and will have to move to second.

I have also seen a trade suggestion with Anthony Alford as the main piece.

I like Yellich who seems like a complete player and has 5 years of control.

Assuming for the moment that the Jays would really not want to move Vlad or Bo - is there really any other trade offer that would allow us to land Yellich - I'd have to think other teams could offer a better package than say Anthony Alford, Sean-Reid Foley, Logan Warmoth, (+1).

Way too much or way too little?
    I think a deal revolving around Alford and Warmoth could work, but I think the 3rd piece needs to move the needle more for the Marlins to say yes. I’d say it would likely cost Pearson. They get one major league ready outfielder and two guys who could fly through the system with good upside. We get one of the friendliest contracts in baseball which allows us to add a solid player and still pursue a decent FA.

Now if we could do the deal with Greene or SRF instead, I would seriously believe we have the best FO in baseball.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Key22 View Post
    With the Yellich rumours flying - I listened to a podcast on fan590 about a strait up swap of Bo Bichette for Christian Yellich. The pundit feeling that Bo isn't good enough to be a starting shortstop and will have to move to second.

I have also seen a trade suggestion with Anthony Alford as the main piece.

I like Yellich who seems like a complete player and has 5 years of control.

Assuming for the moment that the Jays would really not want to move Vlad or Bo - is there really any other trade offer that would allow us to land Yellich - I'd have to think other teams could offer a better package than say Anthony Alford, Sean-Reid Foley, Logan Warmoth, (+1).

Way too much or way too little?
    I can't imagine landing Yelich without at least giving up Bo. There are too many prospects out there who would make for a better centerpiece than Alford, and many teams will highly covet Yelich. Someone will offer a top 25 prospect and more, I think we'd have to fork over Bo with a couple other interesting pieces to be in the running.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pendleton For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-12-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbert View Post
    I think a deal revolving around Alford and Warmoth could work, but I think the 3rd piece needs to move the needle more for the Marlins to say yes. I’d say it would likely cost Pearson. They get one major league ready outfielder and two guys who could fly through the system with good upside. We get one of the friendliest contracts in baseball which allows us to add a solid player and still pursue a decent FA.

Now if we could do the deal with Greene or SRF instead, I would seriously believe we have the best FO in baseball.
    One of the reasons why Yelich will likely be very expensive is that the Marlins don’t actually want to trade him (unlike Stanton / Gordon) but may be forced to as he wants to leave. So it’s fairly unlikely that they’d settle for anything else other than a trade that’d gut our system, and that Shatkins would never do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 1,074 Posts
    I think Yelich is a great target and we should put our best foot forward.

I'd have no issues giving up Alford, Warmouth, and a sweetener. I've heard Greene who I would drop in a heartbeat. Maybe he has some value because of the big arm. I'd move him in a flash. I'd love to keep Pearson, but if it closes the deal, he's not untouchable.

I'm a big Bichette guy, but if you are getting Yelich for him on an absolute steal of a contract, you have to pull that trigger. You almost have as much control on him (5 years) as you would on Bichette and he's proven. If things don't go as you hope, you can defs recoup value on the prospect side by trading him.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to z3r0s For This Useful Post:

Abomination (01-12-2018),Spanky99 (01-12-2018)

Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    One of the reasons why Yelich will likely be very expensive is that the Marlins don’t actually want to trade him (unlike Stanton / Gordon) but may be forced to as he wants to leave. So it’s fairly unlikely that they’d settle for anything else other than a trade that’d gut our system, and that Shatkins would never do.
    What would you define as a trade in this scenario that would guy the system, though? Do you think they’d ask for both Guerrero and Bichette in a 2 for 1? Or something like Bichette, Alford plus a couple more of our top 10?

Thanks
    Jos h agrees to terms

The Blue Jays and third baseman Josh Donaldson have avoided an arbitration hearing by agreeing to a $23MM salary for the 2018 season, reports Shi Davidi of Sportsnet (via Twitter). That massive payday represents an all-time record payout for an arbitration-eligible player on a one-year contract. Donaldson, a client of MVP Sports Group, is entering his final*year of team control and will be a free agent following the season.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbert View Post
    What would you define as a trade in this scenario that would guy the system, though? Do you think they’d ask for both Guerrero and Bichette in a 2 for 1? Or something like Bichette, Alford plus a couple more of our top 10?
    I think they’d ask for Bo & Vlad+.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,436 Posts
    I think they’d ask for Bo & Vlad+.
    Blue Jays front office when the Marlins ask for that.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonn For This Useful Post:

metafour (01-12-2018),Spanky99 (01-12-2018)

Thanks
    I feel that there is almost no chance of trading either Vlad or Bo. Especially for Yelich. I think our team knows their value and where we are overall and that type of trade just isn't worth it at the moment. Any trades we make will be using lesser prospects 7-15 range and possibly moving a MLB piece with it
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    I feel that there is almost no chance of trading either Vlad or Bo. Especially for Yelich. I think our team knows their value and where we are overall and that type of trade just isn't worth it at the moment. Any trades we make will be using lesser prospects 7-15 range and possibly moving a MLB piece with it
    Yelich is the one kind of guy we WOULD potentially consider moving one of those guys for. I don't think we'll do it though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-12-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Yelich is the one kind of guy we WOULD potentially consider moving one of those guys for. I don't think we'll do it though.
    I disagree. Way too many holes in our current roster to make that trade if Vlad or Bo are included. That's a win now or win soon move imo. Next year we will be replacing like half our team
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 2,266 Posts
    I disagree. Way too many holes in our current roster to make that trade if Vlad or Bo are included. That's a win now or win soon move imo. Next year we will be replacing like half our team
    You DO realize we'd control Yelich for the next five years at a team friendly rate, right? I mean, you aren't giving up much in terms of difference of control, and getting a guy that produced 4.5 WAR in three of the last four years. The chances of Bo doing that are slim, which isn't to say he's not an exciting and valuable guy to have. Trading him for a guy with a year or two left on the contract would be entirely different, but Yelich has five.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-12-2018),Terminator (01-12-2018)

Thanks
    Loup's agreed a deal at $1.8125m too.
    I can't stand Loup!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,591 Posts
    That's great value for Loup. I'm less happy with Zeke. The money is fine it's just the fact that he takes up a roster spot that I think could be given to someone better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    You DO realize we'd control Yelich for the next five years at a team friendly rate, right? I mean, you aren't giving up much in terms of difference of control, and getting a guy that produced 4.5 WAR in three of the last four years. The chances of Bo doing that are slim, which isn't to say he's not an exciting and valuable guy to have. Trading him for a guy with a year or two left on the contract would be entirely different, but Yelich has five.
    I realize that. I also realize that this isnt fantasy baseball and top prospects don't come shooting out your butt like lucky charms. If you finally get one you don't trade them at the first good looking option available. Especially, when the team is in limbo mode about winning. Also, it would take much more than just Bo and the more is added the less it's worth it imo. Can it be good to great value.. yes. But will also cost a crap ton more than just Bo. So given our holes it's not the best use of our resources imo

Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,049 Posts
    I realize that. I also realize that this isnt fantasy baseball and top prospects don't come shooting out your butt like lucky charms. If you finally get one you don't trade them at the first good looking option available. Especially, when the team is in limbo mode about winning. Also, it would take much more than just Bo and the more is added the less it's worth it imo. Can it be good to great value.. yes. But will also cost a crap ton more than just Bo. So given our holes it's not the best us me of our resources imo
    Lmao. I love when this happens.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jays4life19 For This Useful Post:

LetTheBallFly (01-12-2018)