SD
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 7 of 141 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: General 2018 Blue Jays Discussion Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,486 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    Lots of good fat hitters have carved out great careers, like carving a roast.

Thanks
    kinda looks like an older Mark Buehrle

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeM For This Useful Post:

Fiddlehead (01-10-2018)

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    Lots of good fat hitters have carved out great careers, like carving a roast.
    i lol'ed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,083 Posts
    some good short term signings suggested in the other thread, but this looks like it fits more here. How do the Jays be half-ass competitive this year on their 20M budget.

Trade for Yelich (weather its Bo + change, or Alford, Warmouth, Greene as a steal), Sign Grandy for 1/7, Sign Dickey for 1/6

Hitting;
    LF - C. Yelich
    3B - J. Donaldson
    1B - J. Smoak
    RF - C. Granderson
    SS - T. Tulowitzki
    DH - K. Morales
    C - R. Martin
    2B - D. Travis
    CF - K. Pillar

BN - A. Diaz
    BN - Y. Solarte
    BN - S. Pearce
    BN - L. Maile

Minors Depth;
    OF; T. Hernandez, D. Pompey, D. Smith, E. Carrera (can he be sent down?), Alford (if not traded)
    IF; R. Urena, R. Tellez,
    C; D. Jansen, R. McGuire

Comments;
    - Good MLB IF depth, decent MiLB OF depth (but not high upside other than Alford)
    - Lack of OF depth on the MLB roster with Pearce off the bench. CF could be covered by Yelich for in-game injuries or single off days for Pillar (who usually plays like 95% of games anyway).
    - Would ideally lose one of Morales or Pearce
    - Not a bad top of the line-up actually.

Pitching;

SP - M. Stroman
    SP - A. Sanchez
    SP - J. Happ
    SP - M. Estrada
    SP - R. Dickey

CP - R. Osuna
    SU - J. Biagini
    SU - R. Tepera
    MRP - D. Leone
    MRP - D. Barnes
    LRP - A. Loup
    LRP - C. Ramirez (a rotation)

Minors Depth;
    R. Borucki, uhhh, C. Greene or Reid-Foley if they figure shit out?

Comments; Extreme lack of depth pitching in BP and the rotation. Would have to add depth and pray.

All in all its a team that should be able to win enough games to at least compete for a low-end playoff spot. Has lots of vets you can try and dish off at the deadline if it looks like you don't have a REALLY GOOD CHANCE to make the playoffs.
    Trade; Donaldson, Granderson, Pearce, Happ, Estrada, Dickey
    Take Offers on; Osuna, Smoak, Pillar
    Try (and likely fail) to move; the old guys; Tulo, Martin, Morales

Thanks
    Thanked 8,811 Times in 5,443 Posts
    Dunno why we wouldn't just stick Pearce in DH instead of Morales if we want to half compete. Probably a 3 WAR upgrade we'd just have sitting on the bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Can't wait to meet the new Matt Olson(s)!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Dunno why we wouldn't just stick Pearce in DH instead of Morales if we want to half compete. Probably a 3 WAR upgrade we'd just have sitting on the bench.
    He's on the team, so you could make the swap. I just don't see Gibby doing it, so I put Morales in the lineup.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,671 Posts
    I think Teoscar Hernandez is underrated here. The OBP might not be there but he's got enough pop, defense and baserunning to be an average regular. At worst he's a solid backup. He's also old enough that he deserves his shot now. I think given all the needs we have he's probably penciled in as a starter. Not sure Shatkins signs two starting OFers.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,114 Times in 1,873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I think Teoscar Hernandez is underrated here. The OBP might not be there but he's got enough pop, defense and baserunning to be an average regular. At worst he's a solid backup. He's also old enough that he deserves his shot now. I think given all the needs we have he's probably penciled in as a starter. Not sure Shatkins signs two starting OFers.
    I've just been assuming that it's his job to lose barring some no-brainer trade or some bargain OF signings. I figured the goal for the OF this offseason has been to sign/acquire one solid corner bat in addition to addressing IF depth (done) and SP/bullpen (not done yet). Teoscar will probably slot into whichever corner the new OF doesn't play.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to intentional wok For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I agree and while I love the idea of trading for Yelich - while also thinking Grandy would be a solid fit - I can't see us doing both. How worried are we that Happ and Estrada leave after this season? If our 5th starter signing is another stop gap, we could be looking at a rotation with only Stro + Sanchez, with youngsters Borucki, SRF, etc. hopefully knocking at the door. Giving a starting OF position to Teoscar (or Alford really) and using the extra cash to lock up someone like Lynn to a 3 year deal would provide more stability moving forward.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    I agree and while I love the idea of trading for Yelich - while also thinking Grandy would be a solid fit - I can't see us doing both. How worried are we that Happ and Estrada leave after this season? If our 5th starter signing is another stop gap, we could be looking at a rotation with only Stro + Sanchez, with youngsters Borucki, SRF, etc. hopefully knocking at the door. Giving a starting OF position to Teoscar (or Alford really) and using the extra cash to lock up someone like Lynn to a 3 year deal would provide more stability moving forward.
    I don't have anything against Lynn, just more of an odds thing. I don't think we are going to compete in 2019 and 2020. With Donaldson gone our lineup looks like shit. Why lock up a SP for those years? Yelich at 5 more years is still around when you hope Vlad Jr and Bo are ready.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post
    I don't have anything against Lynn, just more of an odds thing. I don't think we are going to compete in 2019 and 2020. With Donaldson gone our lineup looks like shit. Why lock up a SP for those years? Yelich at 5 more years is still around when you hope Vlad Jr and Bo are ready.
    I guess that's fair. My rebuttal would be he's a better asset for us. If he returns to his 3+ WAR form, he'll be a pretty valuable piece either way - and someone has to pitch for us in 2019 + 2020. Also, Lynn + Teaoscar is probably >> than Grandy + Dickey in 2018, plus it gives us the opportunity to see if Teaoscar is going to be an everyday player that could help the team in 2020-2022.

Banned
    Thanks
    Would you guys do Osuna + Bo for Yelich?

Or is that too much.

Thanks
    I guess that's fair. My rebuttal would be he's a better asset for us. If he returns to his 3+ WAR form, he'll be a pretty valuable piece either way - and someone has to pitch for us in 2019 + 2020. Also, Lynn + Teaoscar is probably >> than Grandy + Dickey in 2018, plus it gives us the opportunity to see if Teaoscar is going to be an everyday player that could help the team in 2020-2022.
    I guess it depends what you think Lynn will get. If Lynn turns back into a 3 WAR player he will probably be about as valuable as Grandy + Dickey. Probably not a ton of value or money difference either way. I guess it depends if you prefer term or not term.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post
    I guess it depends what you think Lynn will get. If Lynn turns back into a 3 WAR player he will probably be about as valuable as Grandy + Dickey. Probably not a ton of value or money difference either way. I guess it depends if you prefer term or not term.
    Don't forget to add in Teoscar's value in there. Even with a wRC+ of 95-100, he could put up 2.5 WAR season based on BsR + Def.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AledmysDiaz View Post
    Would you guys do Osuna + Bo for Yelich?

Or is that too much.
    If they trade Osuna you might as well keep Bo. Moving Osuna is the first or second domino to fall if a rebuild begins. I'd rather keep Bo + the prospects for Osuna than move them both for Yelich.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to L54 For This Useful Post:

Brownie19 (01-10-2018),Spanky99 (01-10-2018)

Thanks
    Don't forget to add in Teoscar's value in there. Even with a wRC+ of 95-100, he could put up 2.5 WAR season based on BsR + Def.
    I didn't! lol, I don't think he'll be worth much of anything next year. Hope I'm pleasantly surprised. We'll get a good look at him next year regardless as he's at the top of the depth chart with Alford.