Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Jays Trade for Yangervis Solarte

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,530 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    More likely Alford in Buffalo and called up when needed.
    Yeah, that's what I was a getting at, which I don't think is ideal(not the Alford in AAA part... the Zeke being a FT player part). Punt Kendrys and his useless bat out the door, let Pearce DH and have Zeke on the bench with an average LF and you likely improve 2-3ish wins alone.

Zeke plus Pearce are projected for 1.3 WAR, 1.3 of which is Pearce.
    Kendrys projects at .4

Lorenzo Cain would be the ideal addition if they went the FA route, stick him in LF. That would require giving up a pick though and probably too long a contract to ever happen.

Pearce is bad enough defensive that he can DH without seeing much of a value hit,
    ****FREE SPANKY****

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

Bobthe4th (01-07-2018),Spanky99 (01-07-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was a getting at, which I don't think is ideal(not the Alford in AAA part... the Zeke being a FT player part). Punt Kendrys and his useless bat out the door, let Pearce DH and have Zeke on the bench with an average LF and you likely improve 2-3ish wins alone.

Kendrys projects at .4

Lorenzo Cain would be the ideal addition if they went the FA route, stick him in LF. That would require giving up a pick though and probably too long a contract to ever happen.

Pearce is bad enough defensive that he can DH without seeing much of a value hit,
    Yeah and Pearce can also play in the field on days when we need the DH for someone else who needs a rest (like Travis). Morales just clogs up a roster spot if he isnít hitting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 843 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post

Kendrys projects at .4

I agree with this if the goal is to contend. Expect the secret Shatkins goal is Zeke, Morales, whoever have a good first half and can be moved for value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
    And we are competing with teams that acquire The HR king Stanton for scraps, and Resigned CC and were MILES better in all areas then us before the off season began.
    Team needs an upgrade on Zeke if LF. Nice guy, ok player. it is just we have too many OK players in the OF. Need a MASHER!
    To be fair Anthopoulos set the team up to be like the Yankees were a couple years back, when the Jays fanbase was laughing at their bloated payroll, old, broken team. Whoever didn't see what happened to the Jays in 2017 and beyond coming, is kidding themselves.
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaPeach For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,831 Times in 6,777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    To be fair Anthopoulos set the team up to be like the Yankees were a couple years back, when the Jays fanbase was laughing at their bloated payroll, old, broken team. Whoever didn't see what happened to the Jays in 2017 and beyond coming, is kidding themselves.
    It's cyclical though. We can do the same in short order. Love our FO to do just that.

All Star
    Thanks
    who are the late 30s early 40s dead weight contracts? We have 2 players, Martin and Tulo making big dollars that AA acquired. Martin contract ends after his age 36 season. We can be done with Tulo after his age 35 season. Martin is still productive. Tulo came with injury risks, but you couldn't have predicted the offensive decline he's had while he's been a Jay. I still think Tulo can bounce back offensively and put up a 3 to 4 win season. I don't think the Yankees are a very good comp.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to saskjayfan For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-07-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    It's cyclical though. We can do the same in short order. Love our FO to do just that.
    I agree. And it's cyclical based on ownership and the FO of whatever team you're looking at. But shrewd decisions that lengthen the window by building the farm back up, but strengthening the 25 man simultaneously is what I like to see.
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaPeach For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,553 Posts
    I'll take the Tulo trade along with the Donaldson trade.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to burlingtonbandit For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-07-2018)

Thanks
    It's possible the Morales contract could be worse than any contract AA has signed or acquired. Just off the top of my head but I think it could be close (Obvious running mate is Tulo). I know for sure that the notion that AA was reckless with money is unfounded.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeM For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,831 Times in 6,777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    True, but he's talking about the 180 AA did, as are org was stomping forward, at least that's what I think he means.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saskjayfan View Post
    who are the late 30s early 40s dead weight contracts? We have 2 players, Martin and Tulo making big dollars that AA acquired. Martin contract ends after his age 36 season. We can be done with Tulo after his age 35 season. Martin is still productive. Tulo came with injury risks, but you couldn't have predicted the offensive decline he's had while he's been a Jay. I still think Tulo can bounce back offensively and put up a 3 to 4 win season. I don't think the Yankees are a very good comp.
    The window Alex created was 2 years tops and after that a major overhaul was needed and we had a very bad farm. So 2015 & 2016 happened with playoff berths and that was it for me. I didn't expect the 2017 Jays to be anything. And that's why I also included 2017 in the mix along with this year and likely next. Only optimistic fans were fooling themselves thinking the Jays had a chance last year.

Looking at 2018 the Yankees 25 man blows our doors off. They have a superior farm, more financial resources, you want me to continue?

The Jays were very close to the oldest team in baseball in 2017 if not the oldest. Bautista was 37 last year, Morales, Martin, Pearce 34, Tulo & Donaldson early 30's, Estrada 33. Both Tulo & Martin broken and on contracts close to or eclipsing 20m. So we have a couple years of trying to stay afloat and maybe be a fringe WC hopeful because of the divide between the elite teams in the AL and shit teams.

And tbh the Yankees have the money to make mistakes and run the way they ran for a couple years. The Jays can't be anchored down to dumb contracts, the margin for error is razor thin for the Jays. Especially with some of the powerhouse organizations like the Dodgers, Yanks, Houston, Cubs, Cards.

Thanks
    The window Alex created was 2 years tops and after that a major overhaul was needed.
    The thing is this window wasn't created by AA necessarily. It was created by the enormous surplus value we were enjoying from players currently in their prime. We had 3 options with the Jose/EE/JD core: Stand pat, Push to win or trade those core pieces.

I'm guessing no one is suggesting we should have dealt them. That leaves stand pat (and make non-impact moves) or go for it. I think if David Price pitches just a bit better, we win a WS. Obviously conjecture but that's usually how all these moves are evaluated anyways.

Also Tulo's decline is possibly one of the steepest in history (170 wRC+ to 100 overnight). He was borderline MVP material in his prime. Questions about moving from COL but you would have thought he'd easily be worth 20M a year, year after year. If we just get 3/4ths of a Tulo, maybe we win a WS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burlingtonbandit View Post
    So do I.

But you can't be like "yay the Jays are amazing in 2015 & 2016" and then shit on the FO in the next breath because you (wink) never saw the collapse coming in 2017 and beyond.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,113 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It's possible the Morales contract could be worse than any contract AA has signed or acquired. Just off the top of my head but I think it could be close (Obvious running mate is Tulo). I know for sure that the notion that AA was reckless with money is unfounded.
    It's worth noting that nearly everyone was hating on Smoak's contract a year ago. I'd prefer if we could trade Morales because of the roster freedom it would give us, but I wouldn't write him off just yet in general.

Thanks
    That wasn't the notion.

The notion was the team going in to 2015 & 2016 was looking real good, with no farm.

So beyond 2016 fans can't be like "fuck the FO because the Yankees traded scraps for Stanton and our best move is trading for Solarte."

The team was close to maxed out for big additions last year. And trading any prospects worthwhile for Stanton or some other mind altering player puts us back to not having a farm again.

Thanks
    The thing is this window wasn't created by AA necessarily. It was created by the enormous surplus value we were enjoying from players currently in their prime. We had 3 options with the Jose/EE/JD core: Stand pat, Push to win or trade those core pieces.

I'm guessing no one is suggesting we should have dealt them. That leaves stand pat (and make non-impact moves) or go for it. I think if David Price pitches just a bit better, we win a WS. Obviously conjecture but that's usually how all these moves are evaluated anyways.

Also Tulo's decline is possibly one of the steepest in history. He was borderline MVP material in his prime. Questions about moving from COL but you would have thought he'd easily be worth 20M a year, year after year. If we just get 3/4ths of a Tulo, maybe we win a WS.
    I'm not denying any of this.

But when people come here and complain that the FO didn't trade for Stanton what is the FO supposed to do to appease meatheads like that?