LAD
    Preview
    10:15 PM ET
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Jays Trade for Yangervis Solarte

Thanks
    Thanked 8,611 Times in 6,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    The window Alex created was 2 years tops and after that a major overhaul was needed and we had a very bad farm. So 2015 & 2016 happened with playoff berths and that was it for me. I didn't expect the 2017 Jays to be anything. And that's why I also included 2017 in the mix along with this year and likely next. Only optimistic fans were fooling themselves thinking the Jays had a chance last year.

Looking at 2018 the Yankees 25 man blows our doors off. They have a superior farm, more financial resources, you want me to continue?

The Jays were very close to the oldest team in baseball in 2017 if not the oldest. Bautista was 37 last year, Morales, Martin, Pearce 34, Tulo & Donaldson early 30's, Estrada 33. Both Tulo & Martin broken and on contracts close to or eclipsing 20m. So we have a couple years of trying to stay afloat and maybe be a fringe WC hopeful because of the divide between the elite teams in the AL and shit teams.

And tbh the Yankees have the money to make mistakes and run the way they ran for a couple years. The Jays can't be anchored down to dumb contracts, the margin for error is razor thin for the Jays. Especially with some of the powerhouse organizations like the Dodgers, Yanks, Houston, Cubs, Cards.
    More than 2 years if it panned out earlier, but yes, he fucked up per se we had 2 CS series due to Alex, anything goes different in them series, we're playing for a WS. I can't fault the man for trying, we were close. It's not fair, he came close... period. There will be more times, under our management, no doubt.

Thanks
    Bonus point: Look how fucked we are now by not only the AL giants but Dodgers/Cubs. Would anyone go back in time and take our shot again from 2-3 years ago? 100% everyone would. The biggest team in our way was the fucking Royals.

Bonus point 2: Vlad Jr.

It's possible AA didn't go all-in enough in retrospect.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeM For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-07-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Bonus point: Look how fucked we are now by not only the AL giants but Dodgers/Cubs. Would anyone go back in time and take our shot again from 2-3 years ago? 100% everyone would. The biggest team in our way was the fucking Royals.

Bonus point 2: Vlad Jr.

It's possible AA didn't go all-in enough in retrospect.
    Yeah, possibly.

Thanks
    I don't care what many of you think, we're a WC threat like other clubs, save for injuries, we're not as bad as you folks entail. It's depressing folk think otherwise. The industry call us a contender, why can't you? AS OF NOW... of course.

Edit: What exactly is wrong with being a contender for a PO position?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,592 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    I don't care what many of you think, we're a WC threat like other clubs, save for injuries, we're not as bad as you folks entail. It's depressing folk think otherwise. The industry call us a contender, why can't you? AS OF KNOW... of course.
    This team isn't bad at all and is definitely a WC contender. Solarte and Diaz improved the team 3 to 4 wins already. We've still got 20 mil or so left to spend. Need an OF and a pitcher.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-07-2018)

Thanks
    More than 2 years if it panned out earlier, but yes, he fucked up per se we had 2 CS series due to Alex, anything goes different in them series, we're playing for a WS. I can't fault the man for trying, we were close. It's not fair, he came close... period. There will be more times, under our management, no doubt.
    You guys are missing my point.

Alex did what he did. It's great that he got the Jays to the playoffs.

But for fans to slag the FO now or last year when the writing was on the wall of mediocrity setting in is just plain dumb. The prospects we could've traded for Stanton would've left us barren, worst in baseball maybe with a team littered with guys in their early to mid 30's. So what happens in a couple years with no farm, and Stanton flanked by mediocre pick ups? More whining.
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaPeach For This Useful Post:

AdamGreenwood (01-07-2018),Spanky99 (01-08-2018)

Thanks

But for fans to slag the FO now or last year when the writing was on the wall of mediocrity setting in is just plain dumb. The prospects we could've traded for Stanton would've left us barren, worst in baseball maybe with a team littered with guys in their early to mid 30's. So what happens in a couple years with no farm, and Stanton flanked by mediocre pick ups? More whining.
    Your mistake is listening to those fans.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeM For This Useful Post:

glory (01-07-2018),Spanky99 (01-07-2018),TBJ12 (01-07-2018)

Thanks
    I don't care what many of you think, we're a WC threat like other clubs, save for injuries, we're not as bad as you folks entail. It's depressing folk think otherwise. The industry call us a contender, why can't you? AS OF NOW... of course.

We're a WC team due to the mediocrity of the rest of the AL. We're closer on paper talent wise to the bad teams in the AL than we are to the best teams. That's not saying much.
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Your mistake is listening to those fans.
    I listen to them for entertainment purposes.

Thanks

That flies over casuals head, buddy. You're talking the uneducated. Who cares, our new FO will stop the whine, eventually.

Thanks
    We're a WC team due to the mediocrity of the rest of the AL. We're closer on paper talent wise to the bad teams in the AL than we are to the best teams. That's not saying much.
    You don't think our FO is targeting this? Time and place, buddy.

Thanks
    What the Birds do moving forward, will explain a lot. It's that simple.

Thanks
    You don't think our FO is targeting this? Time and place, buddy.
    Definitely headed in the right direction. And with Shapiro's track record on display in Cleveland I have hope.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 747 Posts
    What hurt the team last season, in addition to injuries and underperforming, was lack of depth.

Diaz and Solarte are now the back up infielders instead of Goins and Barney. Hernandez (if he doesn't win a spot) and Alford will be in AAA for outfield depth instead of Coghlan, DSJ, etc. Jansen and McGuire both on the 40 man and could serve as depth instead of Maile and the platter of crap the Jays rolled out at back up catcher last year. The Jays appear to be covered to where they won't be rolling out below replacement dog shit if someone gets hurt, and that's going to be a big step forward.

Of course the rotation could still use some work. Starting Biagini in AAA would be a good move to keep him stretched out and ready. The Buffalo rotation could be Biagini, Borucki, Upper Deck, Guerrieri, and maybe Pannone. I mean it's not great, but the Jays had Latos, Tepesch, Lawrence, Rowley, and Valdez start games for them last year. That's about as bad as you can get.

I think they are a 2nd wild card possibility. Not on the level of the top 4 teams in the AL, but could realistically fight with the Angels, M's, Rangers, O's, Twins, etc, for the 2nd wild card.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to glory For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts

They're not a good team.

All Star
    Thanks

The Yankees didn't send top prospects for Stanton. We would have hardly have been left barren. We just had to make the financial commitment. The financial commitment is quite rightly a scary one and I'm not saying we should have traded for him. He wouldn't have come here anyways.

The Jays weren't set up for mediocrity. We should't have signed Morales, but that didn't kill us. You can't Tulo, Sanchez and Travis for almost the entire season, combined with Happ, Donaldson, Martin, Pearce missing time. You then factor in Jose had the worst year of his career by a huge margin and the same for Tulo, for the time he played, and a lot went wrong. I don't blame management for the Bautista signing. No one would have predicted that drop off. You can't blame management for the amount of significant injuries or the just bad start they had. Everyone pressed early and didn't play close to the level they were capable of. It didn't take much to make the post season. Minnesota won 85 games.

There's no reason to blame new management or old management for last year. There was a lot of bad luck involved.

The Jays can and should compete for a wild card spot. We don't need to top the Yankees in the standings. We've improved our team with a couple trades already. Anyone in right should be better than Jose was last year. Our rotation should be better this year. Our minor league system has a lot more depth in the upper minors now with guys advancing last year.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saskjayfan For This Useful Post:

RotatorCuff (01-08-2018),Spanky99 (01-08-2018)