Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Biagini - Starter or Reliever?

Thanks
    I think for the Fifth starter I would rather just have Boruki and Pannone fight it out for the Fifth spot on the Team.

Loser can either be sent to Buffalo or become a swing man/ long relief/ emergency starter type getting innings or eating them!

But I also see Bagini, Rowley or maybe Guerrieri also being used in that same type of role! With Guerrieri maybe being the one used at AAA!

Unless they have options Tepera, loup, browning and Girado could be released or packaged maybe for something though I doubt they would get you much!

I wouldn’t mind seeing Leone, Dermondy and the kid Snead get the remaining slots
    With Osuna as the closer!

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 706 Posts
    I’d use him as a starter. Could be a decent #5 or swing man.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,981 Times in 3,818 Posts
    I'm with Terminator on this. He's a fringey guy in both roles and he has options so you might as well hold him back in the AAA rotation and wait until need dictates his usage. I mean that's one of the big benefits of a rule 5 guy is that after that first year, you can start using their options as you like. He might currently be the best fifth starer option and one of the best bullpen options but there's no reason to be content with that. Much like the team created a buffer between Tulo/Travis and Gift Ngoepe, they should create a buffer between the more established pitchers and Biagini. Pushing Biagini right to the rotation to start the season is AA style roster management. Pass.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,671 Times in 4,819 Posts
    I don't see how sending him to AAA makes any sense.

I mean they'll stretch him out in spring training and let team health when camp breaks dictate his role but I can't see them sending their ~7th best arm to AAA.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-08-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    I don't see how sending him to AAA makes any sense.

I mean they'll stretch him out in spring training and let team health when camp breaks dictate his role but I can't see them sending their ~7th best arm to AAA.
    I don't understand being content with where he currently stands on the depth chart as opposed to pushing him further back by signing a 5th starter (with the caveat that this 5th starter is a hypothetical player that you still have to obtain somehow but at the very least, that's something that should be on the radar screen and in an ideal scenario obtained).

Thanks
    Well you can upgrade on the #5 SP and push him to the pen...

... sending him to AAA is just downgrading the MLB team.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-08-2018)

Thanks
    So as I outlined in my post above effectivley if you only roll with 12 out of camp you have:

Estrada Rhp
    Happ Lhp
    Stroman Rhp
    Sanchez Rhp
    Boruki/ Pannane Lhp

Bagini Rhp
    Rowley Rhp
    Guerrieri Rhp for one of Two spots
    Boruki/ Pannone Lhp

Leonne Rhp
    Dermondy Lhp
    Snead Lhp

Osuna Rhp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 989 Posts
    Very divisive.

Biagini might be the 6th or 7th best arm on the 25 man roster right now. He's a pretty important factor for 2018.

I think some of you are falling victim to ERA bias.
    I can't ignore that 3-13 record either

Thanks

I think there's a lot of value in having a decent #6 with options who starts the season at AAA. Someone like that is going to get enough work to more than cancel out missing out on a few bullpen appearances early in the season. I mean it's possible that the Jays won't have enough comparable options for the bullpen and be forced to use him but that's not a desirable outcome IMO. Having the luxury to pencil him into a taxi role is what you'd want.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,413 Posts

Over an entire season it'd be a marginal downgrade of less than a WAR. And working off the theory that he'll be in the rotation sooner rather than later it's a very short term downgrade anyway. High likelihood that he's in the rotation in May or June. We probably need 8 capable starting pitchers. Some of them will need to be in AAA.

I'm all for him starting in the bullpen and then switching to the rotation but would like to know how that affects his performance. This team also won't necessarily do that. They could send him back to Buffalo and allow a Mat Latos type to get starts while Biagini builds up his stamina.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,644 Times in 2,948 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKat View Post
    I think there's a lot of value in having a decent #6 with options who starts the season at AAA. Someone like that is going to get enough work to more than cancel out missing out on a few bullpen appearances early in the season. I mean it's possible that the Jays won't have enough comparable options for the bullpen and be forced to use him but that's not a desirable outcome IMO. Having the luxury to pencil him into a taxi role is what you'd want.
    But there's just no point in having him in AAA when he currently improves our team and he's got nothing to work out down there. We're certainly not on Dodgers or Astros level of pitching depth, so why waste one of the guys who could slot into an empty slot and improve our team in the minors? Having options is only a luxury if the team is stacked enough at that position that we can afford to stash him.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Orgfiller For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgfiller View Post
    But there's just no point in having him in AAA when he currently improves our team and he's got nothing to work out down there. We're certainly not on Dodgers or Astros level of pitching depth, so why waste one of the guys who could slot into an empty slot and improve our team in the minors? Having options is only a luxury if the team is stacked enough at that position that we can afford to stash him.
    I think some might be ignoring the effects of moving a guy from the rotation in the spring, to a relief role in the bigs leagues, then back to the rotation in April, May or June. Then if someone gets healthy he'd go back to the bullpen and do it all again. I guess that's what swingmen do and I can't say with any certainty that it has an adverse affect either so perhaps it is the right move.

I don't find the argument regarding "downgrading the big league team" to be all the persuasive though. We are talking a handful of innings in a middle relief role over the course of the first couple months of the season. Those innings are probably made up when he can come in and pitch 6 to 7 innings unrestricted instead of 3 innings one start, 4 the next, then eventually he's got no restrictions. And of course, they may send him down to the bigs to stretch out while a shitbag like Rowley gets the interim starts anyway. This FO has done that before. The #6 SP is a key member of the big league team anyway. It's a more important position than a middle relief role IMO.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 832 Posts
    BP - keep him there as much as possible. But it's nice to know that there is a warm body better than Laffey if the Jays can't sign or trade for some back-end starters. Stretch him out in the majors if need be.

There is way too many words being typed out in a debate for fucking Joe Biagini.

Thanks
    To the people who don't think Joe Biagini is worth discussing at length in January - I question how much you even really like baseball.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NJH For This Useful Post:

Pendleton (01-08-2018),Spanky99 (01-08-2018),TheHurl (01-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,030 Times in 3,428 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I'm surprised you feel that way. Marginal improvements in the pen are secondary to starting pitcher depth IMO. Let's assume we sign a capable fifth starter. Who would our 6th starter be? Borucki? Mat Latos or someone like him again? We will likely get a full season's worth of starts from pitchers other than our initial 1-5. Biagini should be soaking most of those up. Having him stretched out and ready to go when one of our starters gets hurt (it's inevitable) seems better than jerking him around from the MLB pen to the AAA rotation for a few games and then back up to the MLB rotation. It's also a lot easier to find a reliever who would provide similar production to Biagini than it is a starter who is willing to sign for depth.

I guess I'd also be ok with him being the long reliever in theory. Just seems like in today's game with 8 man pens there aren't many guys who manage to stay stretched out in long relief. So he'd have to do the 4 games in Buffalo to stretch out anyway.
    I just don't think "stretched out" matters that much (if he were in the pen and then needed for spot starts in July, he should be able to do that). I'd like to see Biagini in a 2 or 3 inning role and ready to go on 3 days rest. I think that role is given to the wrong guys too often (weakest guy in the pen and only in meaningless innings). I'd like it to happen in closer games more often. What could be thrown into NJH's SSS review of him as a starter is that he got better deeper into games. Which might mean he didn't "bring it" from the start of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-08-2018)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    I just don't think "stretched out" matters that much
    Then you're dating the wrong women my friend.
    ****FREE SPANKY****