KC
    Preview
    8:05 PM ET
  • MIL
    NYM
    Preview
    8:10 PM ET
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Joe Biagini - Starter or Reliever?

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 764 Posts
    I think frequent role changes can have a negative impact on a pitcher. They are human after all. If they want him to be a starter and he doesn't win the #5 spot, then I say keep him in Buffalo until a need arises. He has options so they can get away with it. The difference between him in the pen and whoever they use in his place for how ever long he's in the minors will be marginal at best.

Kinda wish the Jays were the team that signed Koehler for $2m instead of the Dodgers. He'd fit right in as the swing man and that cost is more appropriate for the type of pitcher he is.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,771 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    The first time he went from RP to SP they did that, the second time they sent him back to Buffalo.
    Yeah, to work on the full wind-up mechanics.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Does anyone really think Biagini is more than an okay middle reliever? The K's aren't there and the velo is average. There's nothing about him that inspires confidence that he may have some untapped potential. That milk bag bod isn't helping his case either.

He was a good rule V pick by Shapiro, but that's about where it ends for me. Put him back in the pen and he can chew some innings and can shuttle back and forth between Toronto and Buffalo with his options.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Of course he can, but it's safe to assume Biagini will match Stroman's numbers over the next three years easily.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,803 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L54 View Post
    Does anyone really think Biagini is more than an okay middle reliever? The K's aren't there and the velo is average. There's nothing about him that inspires confidence that he may have some untapped potential. That milk bag bod isn't helping his case either.

He was a good rule V pick by Shapiro, but that's about where it ends for me. Put him back in the pen and he can chew some innings and can shuttle back and forth between Toronto and Buffalo with his options.
    He's probably a league average fifth starter, IMO. He's not busting down doors, but you need a guy that throws up those innings every 5th day.
    Deadpool is Right counter: 39
    Follow Blamethrower on Spotify

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    There doesn't seem to be a better option then Biagini within the organisation. So, we need to go with him as the 5th starter until the club buys a better option or he blows it during the season and he has to be replaced. It's happened before, I'm old enough to remember Boucher!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish blue jay View Post
    There doesn't seem to be a better option then Biagini within the organisation. So, we need to go with him as the 5th starter until the club buys a better option or he blows it during the season and he has to be replaced. It's happened before, I'm old enough to remember Boucher!
    Not having a better option sums up the entire organsiation. I still contend, if they truly desire to compete, they need a top of the rotation pitcher and slide any of the other chaps down.

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Can we afford it? OR....if we want to compete with Donaldson still around we MUST afford it.

Thanks
    At the moment the 5th to 7th starters are all players who have had limited or no starts in the majors - Biagini, Guerrieri, McGuire, and maybe Borucki and Pannone too.

I remain convinced signing another starter is the way to go, ideally a Lynn or Cobb especially as Happ and Estrada are in the final years of their contracts. All of the above have options left so they can rotate in to replace injured players and hope at least one of them succeeds.

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    The Jays are kind of pregnant.
    Just like they are kind of trying to compete.
    Big contracts for Tulo, Martin, Donaldson. That is great, I like the Infield.
    Worst OF in American League other than maybe KC
    This was the worst team in the East last season until the last day. How is adding depth at the middle IF position going to over take BoSx and Yanks?
    The team needs to get younger and more athletic with the thought to compete in the future or get off their wallets and sign some players to help them compete today. The fact they aren't in on the top FA pitchers tells you that they are not serious in contending.
    Worst thing that can happen is what is happening. patching a flawed roster. Cut the fat and go young or load up and go for it.
    Another season like last is not appealing to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,141 Posts
    You don't have to beat the NYY and BOS to make the playoffs.

IF Sanchez is back healthy, the rotation should be a strength again (although we could stand to improve our depth).

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    You don't have to beat the NYY and BOS to make the playoffs.
    True, you just have to beat whichever one doesn't take the division, but that's still a tall order.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    True, you just have to beat whichever one doesn't take the division, but that's still a tall order.
    In a 1 game playoff...