SEA
    Preview
    3:10 PM ET
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Howarth announced his retirement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    This is incredibly unpopular, but I don't mind Wilner calling games. I appreciate that he sticks to the facts. My biggest complaint about Buck and Tabby is they seemingly make shit up on a regular basis. "Oh look, there's Jose talking to Travis about hitting again. Jose is always looking to mentor and help the young players learn the nuances of hitting". FFS Buck, you have no idea what they are talking about. It's just as likely they are talking about the whore they tag teamed last night.
    I would like to hear the whore story from Buck. "There's Jose making plans with Marcus to spit roast that red head from the third row after the game. Two and two count on Smoak, here's the pitch...."

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Yer dumn.
    Jerry was great. As much as I've dissed Wilner (mostly for being a corporate shill at times), I'd actually like to see him take over, and hope he has long run. His play by play has improved greatly over the years, and I think it's important to have someone in the booth who has been involved with the team for a generation or two, and knows the history.
    If we don't win this year we'll win next year, if we don't win next year we'll win the year after that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Olerud363 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (02-13-2018)

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,083 Times in 719 Posts
    This is incredibly unpopular, but I don't mind Wilner calling games. I appreciate that he sticks to the facts. My biggest complaint about Buck and Tabby is they seemingly make shit up on a regular basis. "Oh look, there's Jose talking to Travis about hitting again. Jose is always looking to mentor and help the young players learn the nuances of hitting". FFS Buck, you have no idea what they are talking about. It's just as likely they are talking about the whore they tag teamed last night.
    I actually don't mind Wilner's opinions (can't speak on his radio announcing as I've never listened to it), but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to mention that he's ugly AF. Perfect for the radio where you don't have to actually see him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,356 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post
    Jerry was great. As much as I've dissed Wilner (mostly for being a corporate shill at times), I'd actually like to see him take over, and hope he has long run. His play by play has improved greatly over the years, and I think it's important to have someone in the booth who has been involved with the team for a generation or two, and knows the history.
    It all depends on what you're looking for. Some people here would hate Vin Scully cause he count paint a picture like no other, but didn't go balls deep into fancy stats. Younger generation want stats, metrics, analytics, period. Having a smooth voice and being a great aurator is secondary.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,194 Times in 6,301 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Oh oops! Sorry, I forgot that I'm only allowed to hold the opinion that the majority of people hold. My apologies, Spank, I'll be sure to conform like a mindless dolt from now on.
    Cry in a corner, ya salty bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysAllMighty View Post
    Boxcar
    Bitch on xanax causing ass rashes

Thanks
    Thanked 8,180 Times in 5,105 Posts
    Is there anyone you like calling games in Toronto? (excluding Shulman)
    I liked Alan Ashby a lot, I like Siddall and I like Shulman. I don't mind Buck at all when he's not with Tabler and not doing pbp because those two just play off each other's stupidity.
    Frag are you alive?
    I know King isn't... little prick.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Thank god, he was terrible. Hopefully they don't just use Wilner to take over, that would be even worse.
    Boo!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    It all depends on what you're looking for. Some people here would hate Vin Scully cause he count paint a picture like no other, but didn't go balls deep into fancy stats. Younger generation want stats, metrics, analytics, period. Having a smooth voice and being a great aurator is secondary.
    Seems to me it can't be that difficult to find someone with a smooth voice who's able to describe what he's seeing, tell a few stories about the game and acknowledge that advanced metrics/stats exist and have changed the way we view the game. You don't need to regurgitate the players fangraph page, but would it kill them to simply say the advanced stats, exit velocity and the frequency in which he barrels the baseball in particular, made Randel Grichuk a trade target for the Blue Jays. They hope that by making adjustments to his approach and pitch selection at the plate that they can tap into some unrealized potential. The numbers show this is a player who barrels the baseball in the upper 10% of all major league players and thus if they can cut down on his swing and miss tendencies, they could really have a valuable player on their hands.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,025 Posts
    I liked Alan Ashby a lot, I like Siddall and I like Shulman. I don't mind Buck at all when he's not with Tabler and not doing pbp because those two just play off each other's stupidity.
    I like Siddall too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Okay Iím with you on Ashby, Ashby and Howarth was my favourite combo. But how can you say you donít mind buck and hate on Howarth????

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    I'll always remember that game where Vin just randomly spouted off about ocean fish like he was working for national geographic and somehow just naturally weaved it into his broadcast. He called the game perfectly while weaving in fun facts about ocean creatures.
    Frag are you alive?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcowxlive View Post
    Okay I’m with you on Ashby, Ashby and Howarth was my favourite combo. But how can you say you don’t mind buck and hate on Howarth????
    I like Buck's personality and I find him to be genuinely funny, so he's a good colour guy imo. His insights as a player are often pretty good. The problem is that Tabler just encourages Buck to say stupid shit on top of Buck just lacking the flow and voice for good pbp. When Shulman is there to kind of neuter Tablet's utter retardation, you see big improvement from Buck.

As far as Howarth goes, I found his voice grating and he came across as rather dull imo. I exaggerated, he wasn't terrible but he wasn't very good.
    Frag are you alive?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 1,028 Posts
    I like Buck's personality and I find him to be genuinely funny, so he's a good colour guy imo. His insights as a player are often pretty good. The problem is that Tabler just encourages Buck to say stupid shit on top of Buck just lacking the flow and voice for good pbp. When Shulman is there to kind of neuter Tablet's utter retardation, you see big improvement from Buck.

As far as Howarth goes, I found his voice grating and he came across as rather dull imo. I exaggerated, he wasn't terrible but he wasn't very good.
    I disagree, I've said this before. But Jerry outside the booth is insufferable. But his voice on the broadcast sounded so good for baseball. He had flow and his delivery want forced to me.

I hope they find a new play by play guy. Siddall is a fantastic colour guy, but IMO his play by play kind of sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruber92 View Post
    Oh fuck off. Goins is a role player you dumb fuck.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,446 Posts

I don't mind Buck either. He is everything Tabler tries to be only he's better. They are both the folksy, anecdotal former players/good ole boys. Buck is a more charismatic and likable personality and he doesn't say as dumb of things as Tabler. He's kind of miscast as the PBP guy though but I would say there are plenty of teams who have worse PBP guys. Schulman and Buck would be awesome.

I disagree on Howarth though. I think he's pretty good. Really natural delivery. His voice never cracks and he never crosses up his words. He's good.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (02-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,040 Posts
    You guys actually like Siddall? I find him reeeeeeeeally boring to listen to.

Thanks
    I vote for Lando Calrissian to replace Jerry.