SEA
    Preview
    3:10 PM ET
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Howarth announced his retirement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,072 Times in 3,461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    This is incredibly unpopular, but I don't mind Wilner calling games. I appreciate that he sticks to the facts.
    I agree with you. Wilner is unpopular because of the phone in show. On play by play he's just fine and Siddall is getting better each year so there is no reason for him to go too much off the rails on play by play.

I like Jerry more as a person than an announcer anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by weams View Post
    You have to realize we have a real life celebrity who posts on our boards Roy firestone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheHurl For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (02-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Wilner isn't bad as PBP.

His dial-in show is really weird. I don't mind listening to it about once a week for the spectacle of it. It's a bunch of retards calling in and it's like he's so jaded he automatically treats everyone like a retard the second they are on air. It could be someone calling to say they think they should trade for Bryce Harper or it could be someone who has a good question or some good insight (which is rare) but they all get treated like crap.

If he becomes the PBP guy he might have to give up that schtick. The PBP guys is more of a man of the people, not the foil who everyone hates.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    I don't mind Buck either. He is everything Tabler tries to be only he's better. They are both the folksy, anecdotal former players/good ole boys. Buck is a more charismatic and likable personality and he doesn't say as dumb of things as Tabler. He's kind of miscast as the PBP guy though but I would say there are plenty of teams who have worse PBP guys. Schulman and Buck would be awesome.

I disagree on Howarth though. I think he's pretty good. Really natural delivery. His voice never cracks and he never crosses up his words. He's good.
    We should have a thread dedicated to recording all the stupid things that Buck and Tabby say during the season. I typically background watch the Jays games and I swear I catch Buck and Tabby say a couple of stupid things every game.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Wilner isn't bad as PBP.

His dial-in show is really weird. I don't mind listening to it about once a week for the spectacle of it. It's a bunch of retards calling in and it's like he's so jaded he automatically treats everyone like a retard the second they are on air. It could be someone calling to say they think they should trade for Bryce Harper or it could be someone who has a good question or some good insight (which is rare) but they all get treated like crap.

If he becomes the PBP guy he might have to give up that schtick. The PBP guys is more of a man of the people, not the foil who everyone hates.
    I agreed, but unfortunately, the call in show's already made him into this know-it-all who most the average fan hates (think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that). It's going to take a long time to change that opinion. If he's named the successor to Jerry, I suspect there will be a significant backlash from fans.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 933 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    We should have a thread dedicated to recording all the stupid things that Buck and Tabby say during the season. I typically background watch the Jays games and I swear I catch Buck and Tabby say a couple of stupid things every game.
    This is the thing about Buck. I love him as a color guy. In the playoffs when he get the color gig and is paired with a decent play by play guy(vasgersian) I love him. He is not in the right setup to do what he is doing with the jays. Can Tabby and slide Buck into the color spot and find someone else to do the play by play.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 697 Posts
    Blue Jays baseball just won't be the same without Jerry Howarth. He was certainly the best in the business on the radio side and I will miss his calls.

Thanks
    Noooo it's going to be wilner isn't it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrioter View Post
    Feliz Navidad!!
    This isn't the prospect thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Oh oops! Sorry, I forgot that I'm only allowed to hold the opinion that the majority of people hold. My apologies, Spank, I'll be sure to conform like a mindless dolt from now on.
    I share a similar opinion. I found that he always put me to sleep on the radio. He's also super old school which is fine for some, but, TBH, I would some young blood in there to hype the radio broadcast a bit more. Hopefully it will be someone with a decent grasp of saber stats to coach our uninformed fanbase.

Thanks
    Just as long as it's not Barker please...pretty please?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    Blue Jays baseball just won't be the same without Jerry Howarth. He was certainly the best in the business on the radio side and I will miss his calls.
    Unquestionably.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to P2F For This Useful Post:

Boxcar (02-13-2018)

DONOR | Super Moderator G-Snarls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 2,704 Posts
    Great career Jerry

Will miss you greatly

Thanks
    Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I like Buck's personality and I find him to be genuinely funny, so he's a good colour guy imo. His insights as a player are often pretty good. The problem is that Tabler just encourages Buck to say stupid shit on top of Buck just lacking the flow and voice for good pbp. When Shulman is there to kind of neuter Tablet's utter retardation, you see big improvement from Buck.

As far as Howarth goes, I found his voice grating and he came across as rather dull imo. I exaggerated, he wasn't terrible but he wasn't very good.
    If only you could see how hard Iím shaking my fist at your post... smh!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 859 Posts
    Whether you are a fan of Jerry Howarth or not, he has always been there to pretty much everyone on this board except the geriatrics. He will be missed.

Enjoy your retirement Jerry, though I have a sneaking suspicion that he left because his health is in worse shape than what we know

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Ashby, now Howarth, all the great ones gone... I like Siddal but I can't think of another radio or TV guy that I like anymore...

Thanks
    I'm gonna have to agree with the anti Wilner crowd for his PBP. I remember one time specifically in '16 listening to a big game down the stretch and his call was literally:
    "Martin flies one to left ....
    AND GONE"

My friend and I looked at each other like what the fuck was that? I was sitting in the car so confused. Happy for the home run, but pissed because Wilner couldn't have led me on any worse. Douche.

Anyways Im gonna miss Jerry. Grew up listening to him, driving around in the car with my dad its a voice I'll always remember.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LGBJ29 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (02-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,192 Times in 6,300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LGBJ29 View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree with the anti Wilner crowd for his PBP. I remember one time specifically in '16 listening to a big game down the stretch and his call was literally:
    "Martin flies one to left ....
    AND GONE"

My friend and I looked at each other like what the fuck was that? I was sitting in the car so confused. Happy for the home run, but pissed because Wilner couldn't have led me on any worse. Douche.

Anyways Im gonna miss Jerry. Grew up listening to him, driving around in the car with my dad its a voice I'll always remember.
    He's much improved, it's hard to admit, but he'll be the PBP guy with Siddall, and vice-versa, same as last season, minus Jerry.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysAllMighty View Post
    Boxcar
    Bitch on xanax causing ass rashes