• LAD
    SD
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 2018 MLB Draft Thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Fair enough I thought those were sealed. I should have researched more instead of reading the Oregon St. coaching version
    Yeah the details are much worse than inappropriate playing or anything like that. Plus taking place over a 2 year period not a one off incident.

The Oregonian broke the story when he failed to re-register as a sex offender after turning 21 at a new address and so he was called to court and the paper found out.

Link to story - The Oregonian

"Most juvenile cases are kept sealed. But Washington considers the type of crime Heimlich committed to be so serious that the records are not confidential for juvenile offenders. And since 1997, Oregon has required people convicted of felony sex offenses elsewhere as juveniles to register as sex offenders here."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,691 Times in 3,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Fair enough I thought those were sealed. I should have researched more instead of reading the Oregon St. coaching version
    As disgusting as what was alleged he did i would still agree with you that it shouldn't forbid him from ever playing professional baseball. He was a kid, and yes, of course he was old enough to know it was wrong but when your 15 you can't appreciate or understand the consequences your actions have. That part of your brain doesn't develop until your early 20's.

If he wanted to be a youth baseball coach i would have a lot of more reservations. He completed his treatment programs, paid a price and like you i believe in rehabilitation and second chances. I don't think an incredibly disgusting act when you're 15 should define you for the rest of your life. From all accounts he was a good teammate, and had no issues during his time at Oregon State.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jays4life19 View Post
    As disgusting as what was alleged he did i would still agree with you that it shouldn't forbid him from ever playing professional baseball. He was a kid, and yes, of course he was old enough to know it was wrong but when your 15 you can't appreciate or understand the consequences your actions have. That part of your brain doesn't develop until your early 20's.

If he wanted to be a youth baseball coach i would have a lot of more reservations. He completed his treatment programs, paid a price and like you i believe in rehabilitation and second chances. I don't think an incredibly disgusting act when you're 15 should define you for the rest of your life. From all accounts he was a good teammate, and had no issues during his time at Oregon State.
    IMO a convicted paedophile shouldn't be allowed in certain professions, (mainly public service) which includes being a professional sportsman.

There's nothing stopping him have a productive, happy life in a more appropriate vocation - he could be a Catholic priest.

Blue Chip Prospect Rusty_Savage's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    IMO a convicted paedophile shouldn't be allowed in certain professions, (mainly public service) which includes being a professional sportsman.

There's nothing stopping him have a productive, happy life in a more appropriate vocation - he could be a Catholic priest.
    He'd fit right in

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,492 Posts
    When it comes to Heimlich though... how would he even begin to fit in to any clubhouse in the majors .. or even the minors when a bunch of his teammates are gonna have kids around?

How does a minor league team, whose entire existence relies upon family atmosphere and kids being at the ballpark run a guy out there with a child molesting record? it would be a PR nightmare.

I don't care what anyone says, when you know there's a convicted child molester near, whether he's paid the price with jail time or whatever... he's going to be a pariah. No teammate with kids would ever trust bringing his kids around ever, whether they believe he's reformed completely or not. None of these guys will have any history with him prior, so the first thing anyone is going to think is "hey here comes the child molester." They won't see him as a person first, ballplayer/teammate second, convicted criminal third or whatever. It's especially true in child crime scenarios.

And while Osuna's type of situation is beyond shitty, guys in MLB already have a history with him, probably really like him as a person and have some sort of foundation to build forgiveness from. Plus, as shitty as abusing women is, it's not abusing children and he'll be much more likely to be given second chances by the people around him and still be seen as a person and a ball player rather than a wife beater. Sure .. they'll still have it in the back of their minds all the time, but not like any crime relating to kids.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    If Alabama had a baseball team they would sign the pedophile. 49% of them nearly elected Ron Moore (a pedophile) to office. So the kid just has to wait for a franchise.

I really hope no one signs him. Just don't want to see a pedophile get millions of dollars - and once a pedophile always a pedophile - with millions in the bank he'll be able to satisfy his monster inside. (as Dexter would say). He'll be able to pay off the right people like Donald Trump who attended under age sex parties. Heck with Money you can still become president.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,033 Times in 3,858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Key22 View Post
    If Alabama had a baseball team they would sign the pedophile. 49% of them nearly elected Ron Moore (a pedophile) to office. So the kid just has to wait for a franchise.

I really hope no one signs him. Just don't want to see a pedophile get millions of dollars - and once a pedophile always a pedophile - with millions in the bank he'll be able to satisfy his monster inside. (as Dexter would say). He'll be able to pay off the right people like Donald Trump who attended under age sex parties. Heck with Money you can still become president.
    I can't believe in defending Roy Moore but I might as well get this in early. There's a difference between a child molester and someone picking up teenagers at the mall. Don't get me wrong, Roy Moore is a total creep and a piece of shit for all kinds of reason but there's not much of a parallel here. It's a safe assumption that a lot of those people defending Roy Moore would be among those to come down hardest on him if he did what Heimlich did (and yeah some of them would not like those religious hypocrites who defend Josh Duggar).

Thanks
    Thanked 8,839 Times in 6,781 Posts

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

John_Havok (Yesterday),P2F (Yesterday)

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Callis' mock from today:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mock-draft-...?tid=151437456

12. Blue Jays: Jarred Kelenic, OF, Waukesha (Wis.) West HS

Every Draft has a guy who seems to be considered by several teams, but doesn't quite make it to their top choice, and this year that may be Kelenic. The best high school hitter available, he may not be able to overcome the preference for collegians at the top or for prep arms right ahead of Toronto. If he's gone, the Blue Jays are on more prep bats such as Gorman, outfielder/wide receiver Jordyn Adams (North Carolina) and others who could drop into the 20s if they don't go 12 or 13: shortstop Xavier Edwards (Florida), third baseman Jordan Groshans (Texas) and catcher Noah Naylor (Canada).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to metafour For This Useful Post:

P2F (Yesterday)

Thanks
    I don't care what anyone says, when you know there's a convicted child molester near, whether he's paid the price with jail time or whatever... he's going to be a pariah. No teammate with kids would ever trust bringing his kids around ever, whether they believe he's reformed completely or not. None of these guys will have any history with him prior, so the first thing anyone is going to think is "hey here comes the child molester." They won't see him as a person first, ballplayer/teammate second, convicted criminal third or whatever. It's especially true in child crime scenarios.
    It's weird how society throws around the "rehabilitation" term for people doing prison time, but when the person gets out, no one wants to be around them. So what type of work are these rehabilitated members of society supposed to do? Society talking out of both sides of it's mouth.

And while Osuna's type of situation is beyond shitty, guys in MLB already have a history with him, probably really like him as a person and have some sort of foundation to build forgiveness from. Plus, as shitty as abusing women is, it's not abusing children and he'll be much more likely to be given second chances by the people around him and still be seen as a person and a ball player rather than a wife beater. Sure .. they'll still have it in the back of their minds all the time, but not like any crime relating to kids.
    Another odd situation how Yunel Escobar vilified for his eye black incident in where the gay community forced Toronto to move on from him. But Toronto fans making excuses in Osuna laying a hand on a woman and him sticking around or being given a second chance. Since when is saying something worse than assaulting someone?
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaPeach For This Useful Post:

SirBJay (Today)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    It's weird how society throws around the "rehabilitation" term for people doing prison time, but when the person gets out, no one wants to be around them. So what type of work are these rehabilitated members of society supposed to do? Society talking out of both sides of it's mouth.

Another odd situation how Yunel Escobar vilified for his eye black incident in where the gay community forced Toronto to move on from him. But Toronto fans making excuses in Osuna laying a hand on a woman and him sticking around or being given a second chance. Since when is saying something worse than assaulting someone?
    Society's hypocrisy is not lost on me, which was somewhat the intent of the post
    ****FREE SPANKY****