WSH
    Preview
    10:15 PM ET
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2018 MLB Draft Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 8,594 Times in 6,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    What are the chances Singer drops to us?
    lulz... injury?

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    What are the chances Singer drops to us?
    Pretty likely at this point. He could always finish the season strong and land back in the Top 10, but his stock is down to mid first round now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    lulz... injury?
    Hasn't been that great at times this season. I have seen him slipping in mocks
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LetTheBallFly For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (04-15-2018)

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    His stuff is down and he's still a reliever risk as essentially a two-pitch guy with an awkward arm angle. That in combination with the fact that his performance is down and this being a strong class at the top half of the first round means that it wouldn't be even remotely strange for him to be there at #12. The more interesting question is whether or not he's even an auto-pick for us at that point considering that he already failed one physical with us.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    His stuff is down and he's still a reliever risk as essentially a two-pitch guy with an awkward arm angle. That in combination with the fact that his performance is down and this being a strong class at the top half of the first round means that it wouldn't be even remotely strange for him to be there at #12. The more interesting question is whether or not he's even an auto-pick for us at that point considering that he already failed one physical with us.
    Id say for sure we should take him...but I'm biased lol
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    New Top 55 from McDaniel and Longenhagen came out today with lots of movement:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/upda...raft-rankings/

They're releasing a mock draft tomorrow which may feature the first look at who we've been on to date.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metafour For This Useful Post:

baubau (04-18-2018),Spanky99 (04-18-2018)

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Fangraphs just dropped their first mock which is only 10 picks but packs some potential team/player connections, among which mentions that we are showing interest in Kumar Rocker and Connor Scott which are literally my two favourite options at #12 right now.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018...k-draft-v-1-0/

We have Rocker going eighth and Pittsburgh showing interest in him with the 10th pick. Toronto (12) is another distinct possibility as they’ve been showing a lot of interest in recent weeks. The Blue Jays are also rumored to be on Florida prep CF Connor Scott — as is Texas (15) among others clubs in the Nos. 10-20 range.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to metafour For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (04-19-2018)

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Rocker is interesting

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Also, just LOL @ the Jays being linked to two HS players. That must be a mistake. I was told that Shapiro, who runs our draft, only drafts college players. The data from a decade ago clearly backs this up. McDaniel and Longenhagen are clearly idiots.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Hankins > Rocker.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Connor Scott would be such a dreamy pick at #12, but he's moving up the mock lists pretty quickly. I kind of doubt he's still there at our turn but I'm hopeful.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Hankins > Rocker.
    Based off of what? Rocker is throwing as hard with more consistency and less variance, and he doesn't possess obvious injury concerns unlike Hankins. His curveball is also better than any secondary pitch that Hankins is currently throwing, considering that he scrapped the slider (there seems to be legitimate concern that the pitch is hurting his arm, hence why he's not throwing it and has replaced it with a fringy curveball). I mean, the difference between the two wasn't that great even back when Hankins was getting top 1-3 type hype, except now you have one guy who's stayed healthy and has pitched as well as he did last summer, while the other guy got hurt and has had velocity all over the place while also scrapping his best breaking ball. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    Based off of what? Rocker is throwing as hard with more consistency and less variance, and he doesn't possess obvious injury concerns unlike Hankins. His curveball is also better than any secondary pitch that Hankins is currently throwing, considering that he scrapped the slider (there seems to be legitimate concern that the pitch is hurting his arm, hence why he's not throwing it and has replaced it with a fringy curveball). I mean, the difference between the two wasn't that great even back when Hankins was getting top 1-3 type hype, except now you have one guy who's stayed healthy and has pitched as well as he did last summer, while the other guy got hurt and has had velocity all over the place while also scrapping his best breaking ball. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Hankins over Rocker was basically the consensus before this spring and his injury. He has a superior fastball and breaking stuff when he's healthy. I also prefer his delivery and his mechanics. You can't dismiss the health issues of Hankins though which is why he's as down the board as he is, but everything else being equal, Hankins is the better pitcher.