• MIL 9
    ARI 2
    Final
    1:10 PM ET
  • MIN 1
    DET 4
    Final
    1:10 PM ET
  • STL 2
    KC 5
    Final
    1:15 PM ET
  • HOU 4
    SF 1
    Final
    2:10 PM ET
  • WSH 1
    SD 3
    Final
    4:05 PM ET
  • PHI 4
    ATL 0
    Final
    7:05 PM ET
  • TEX 12
    NYY 10
    Final
    7:05 PM ET
  • TOR 4
    LAA 5
    Game Over
    7:07 PM ET
  • TB 1
    BOS 4
    Final
    7:10 PM ET
  • NYM 1
    MIA 2
    Final
    7:10 PM ET
  • CIN 4
    PIT 5
    Game Over
    7:10 PM ET
  • CHC 0
    CLE 1
    Final
    8:05 PM ET
  • CWS 11
    BAL 1
    Final
    8:10 PM ET
  • OAK 0
    SEA 1
    In Progress
    Bottom 6th
  • LAD 2
    COL 0
    In Progress
    Bottom 5th
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 23

Thread: Question regarding Brett Lawrie

  1. #1
    Prospect 5ToolPhenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 31 Times in 26 Posts

    Question regarding Brett Lawrie

    Hey guys, big Jays fan here but I have a question that will probably make me look like a casual fan.

    I was wondering what ever happened to Brett Lawrie? I know he put up very ordinary numbers with Chicago in 2016, but is he really completely out of the game now? I would have imagined that some organization out there could have at least used him as a bench piece or at the worst gave him a shot in AAA.

    I was wondering if anyone knows what his plans are now. I reckon he made a nice chunk of change with his MLB time, but he doesn't seem like the kind of person to be good very good with money.

  2. #2
    MVP
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13,245
    Thanks
    848
    Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ToolPhenom View Post
    Hey guys, big Jays fan here but I have a question that will probably make me look like a casual fan.

    I was wondering what ever happened to Brett Lawrie? I know he put up very ordinary numbers with Chicago in 2016, but is he really completely out of the game now? I would have imagined that some organization out there could have at least used him as a bench piece or at the worst gave him a shot in AAA.

    I was wondering if anyone knows what his plans are now. I reckon he made a nice chunk of change with his MLB time, but he doesn't seem like the kind of person to be good very good with money.
    Apparently he has some kind of injury or something, but isn't having any luck in getting it resolved.

  3. #3
    Blue Chip Prospect
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,513
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 190 Times in 109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Apparently he has some kind of injury or something, but isn't having any luck in getting it resolved.
    It's a broken ego, likely a career ending injury for him. Some can come back from it, but Lawrie is unlikely to be one of those.

  4. #4
    Prospect 5ToolPhenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 31 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    Apparently he has some kind of injury or something, but isn't having any luck in getting it resolved.
    Really? Damn. And he still hasn't had it figured out? That sounds odd. So has he outright retired or is he going to try and work his way back in the league? I guess at 28 years old the clock is ticking out of favor for him.

  5. #5
    MVP
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13,245
    Thanks
    848
    Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ToolPhenom View Post
    Really? Damn. And he still hasn't had it figured out? That sounds odd. So has he outright retired or is he going to try and work his way back in the league? I guess at 28 years old the clock is ticking out of favor for him.
    Here's some info about it:

    https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/lawrie-misdiagnosed-injury-knocked-me-out-of-baseball-1.1006839

  6. #6
    All Star Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    6,266
    Thanks
    2,042
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 1,141 Posts
    He was promoting ketchup chips that last time I saw him. Best thing he's done in years.

  7. #7
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    101
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    He just hangs out on the beach, smokes weed and picks up hot chicks.

  8. #8
    Moderator Deadpool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario
    Posts
    7,938
    Thanks
    11,523
    Thanked 2,861 Times in 1,803 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shart View Post
    He just hangs out on the beach, smokes weed and picks up hot chicks.
    Pretty sure he and the wife/girlfriend just had/are having a baby...
    Deadpool is Right counter: 39
    Follow Blamethrower on Spotify

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer Jonn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Courtice, Ontario
    Posts
    15,483
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Pretty sure he and the wife/girlfriend just had/are having a baby...
    Yea hes married lol. And everytime I see a video of him hes working out.

  10. #10
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,305
    Thanks
    2,521
    Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,661 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    He was promoting ketchup chips that last time I saw him. Best thing he's done in years.
    You didn't enjoy his Ichiro-like approach at the plate? Where as a right handed batter he'd slam the ball into the ground and hustle down the line trying to beat it out?

  11. #11
    All Star Inklink's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,203
    Thanks
    1,336
    Thanked 818 Times in 546 Posts
    From a few months ago

    Quote Originally Posted by Inklink View Post
    Brett Lawrie: Misdiagnosed injury knocked me out of baseball

    https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1...ball-1.1006839

    Still trying to find a doctor to help him. Currently seeing a doc in Phoenix. I think it's a leg issue?

    Blaming a training staff for giving him bad orthotics?
    Sucks ... he sounds frustrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHurl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrioter View Post
    Feliz Navidad!!
    This isn't the prospect thread

  12. #12
    All Star Dick_Pole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,037
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 906 Posts
    Guess my 2011 prediction of 3-4-5 hitters being Lawrie-Snider-Arenicibia in 2018 never came true...

  13. #13
    Top 100 Prospect
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    393
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    He's a multi millionaire. He will never have to work another day in his life

  14. #14
    All Star Dick_Pole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,037
    Thanks
    335
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 906 Posts
    He made $8M in his career and you are underestimating how quickly a stupid person can blow through that kind of nest egg.

    Oh, plus whatever he made on endorsing earmuffs.

  15. #15
    MVP Terminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,305
    Thanks
    2,521
    Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,661 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    He made $8M in his career and you are underestimating how quickly a stupid person can blow through that kind of nest egg.

    Oh, plus whatever he made on endorsing earmuffs.
    Yeah to retire in your 20s I think 8 mil is probably good but you aren't balling or anything. He also had his revenue stream cut unexpectedly so I doubt he had a full 8 mil saved up. He can probably semi-retire but he'll need to work some.

  16. #16
    Just Drafted
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post
    He made $8M in his career and you are underestimating how quickly a stupid person can blow through that kind of nest egg.

    Oh, plus whatever he made on endorsing earmuffs.
    Does the 8 million include his 1.7 mil signing bonus?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •