WSH
    Preview
    9:10 PM ET
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT - F'ing Yankees, Game 2 March 30 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,083 Times in 820 Posts

GDT - F'ing Yankees, Game 2 March 30 2018

BTS lost yesterday, he suxxxx. So I'm doing the GDT today.

Lineups:

2B Devon Travis (R)
    DH Josh Donaldson (R)
    1B Justin Smoak (S)
    LF C. Granderson (L)
    3B Y. Solarte (S)
    RF Randal Grichuk (R)
    C Russell Martin (R)
    CF Kevin Pillar (R)
    SS Aledmys Diaz (R)

TOR: Aaron Sanchez (R) (0-0, 0.00)
    VEGAS: 4 runs

CF Brett Gardner (L)
    RF Aaron Judge (R)
    DH G. Stanton (R)
    SS Didi Gregorius (L)
    C Gary Sanchez (R)
    1B Neil Walker (S)
    LF Billy McKinney (L)
    3B Brandon Drury (R)
    2B Tyler Wade (L)

NYY: Masahiro Tanaka (R)
    VEGAS: 4.6 runs

Giancarlo Stanton made a first impression as a New York Yankee that will be hard to forget.

The designated hitter hit a two-run homer in his first at-bat as a Yankee in the first inning on Opening Day Thursday afternoon against Toronto Blue Jays starter J.A. Happ.

"It's good to get that first one out of the way early, you can stop worrying about it," Stanton said. "It was a great day. We got 10-plus hits (11), they only got two hits, so it was a good day overall."

Stanton added a homer in the ninth inning against Tyler Clippard as he went 3-for-5 with a double in New York' 6-1 victory. Yankees starter Luis Severino beat the Blue Jays for the first time in his career, allowing one hit, three walks and no runs in 5 2/3 innings. He struck out seven and now is 1/3 in his career against Toronto.

The Blue Jays will send out right-hander Aaron Sanchez in the second game of the four-game series Friday night to cool off Stanton, who was acquired in the offseason in a trade with the Miami Marlins.

The New York starter will be right-hander Masahiro Tanaka.

Yankees first-year manager Aaron Boone said before the game that he thought Stanton would have a good game. "I think we've seen over the last week, I felt like his at-bats, his timing as I've talked about a lot with him, I felt like he was really starting to find that good timing. We've seen a couple of homers late in spring from him and I felt all today that every pitch it just seemed like he was in a really good place. When he gets on time, he's deadly like that."

The Yankees lineup has been a difficult one for pitchers to work through so it could be a difficult series for the Blue Jays.

"It's tough, we knew that," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. "It was tough to go through them before Stanton showed up. He came to town here with Miami a few years go and he put on a pretty good show. You've got to pitch him tough, you can get him out if you pitch him tough. But they can also burn a time or two and it's a pretty long lineup."

There was some concern for the Blue Jays with weak throws by third baseman Josh Donaldson, who struggled with a shoulder issue during spring training.

"Obviously, he was off today," Gibbons said. "He said really his arm just kind of feels dead, not injured. ... We don't think it' a big deal."

Tanaka will be pitching on six days' rest. He made his final spring training start March 23 against the Tampa Bay Rays, allowing one earned run in 5 2/3 innings (five hits, no walks, six strikeouts and one home run).

In four official spring training starts, Tanaka was 0-3 with a 7.24 ERA covering 13 2/3 innings.

He was 13-12 with a 4.74 ERA in 30 starts in 2017 and was 3-1 with a 4.20 ERA in five starts against the Blue Jays.

He is 9-4 with a 2.95 ERA in 15 career starts against Toronto, allowing one earned run or no earned runs in seven of those starts.

He is 2-2 with a 3.68 ERA in six starts at the Rogers Centre.

Sanchez was limited last season to eight starts because of a recurring blister problem. He was 1/3 with a 4.25 ERA.

He had a good spring training, however, and seems poised to return to the form that gave him the best ERA among starting pitchers in the American League at 3.00 in 2016. In five official spring training games this year, including four starts, he was 2-2 with a 3.06 ERA.

He is 2-2 with a 2.40 ERA in 13 outings, including three starts, in his career against the Yankees. He did not face them last season.

He must find a way to deal with Stanton, who now has five homers in four career games at the Rogers Centre.

When Stanton was asked what he likes about the Rogers Centre, he said, "The dimensions."
    Last edited by Jimcanuck; 03-30-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcanuck For This Useful Post:

Omar (03-30-2018)

Thanks
    We got an injury with the Yankees already--Aaron Hicks has been put on the 10-day (intercostal muscle strain). Former Cubs OF prospect Billy McKinney recalled.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,591 Times in 8,064 Posts
    I feel a lot better going into this one. Sanchez is better equipped to handle the Yankee lineup IMO, and Tanaka is not Severino.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Abomination (03-30-2018)

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BTS View Post
    I feel a lot better going into this one. Sanchez is better equipped to handle the Yankee lineup IMO, and Tanaka is not Severino.
    Hope Tanaka doesnt repeat his last outing against us last year. That was embarrassing.

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Are the Jays going to continue shutting down Stubhub sales 3 hours before gametime like last year?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onwego View Post
    Are the Jays going to continue shutting down Stubhub sales 3 hours before gametime like last year?
    Well it was revealed that they get a cut of all that action so I don't know why they would do that.

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Well it was revealed that they get a cut of all that action so I don't know why they would do that.

I saw something about that.... I'm downtown at the office and am indifferent between going for a bargain ticket bought at 6:50 or grabbing a pizza and watching it on TV at home....

Thanks
    Donaldson is going to DH tonight. Solarte is likely to make his debut. Definitely an improvement given Donaldson's arm.

What's going to suck though is when Travis needs a rest (they said he'd play 3 or 4 games in a row max). Then Gift will play. Hopefully Donaldson's arm gets better soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,591 Times in 8,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Donaldson is going to DH tonight. Solarte is likely to make his debut. Definitely an improvement given Donaldson's arm.

What's going to suck though is when Travis needs a rest (they said he'd play 3 or 4 games in a row max). Then Gift will play. Hopefully Donaldson's arm gets better soon.
    It's annoying that we don't know what the actual issue is with the arm, aside from 'dead arm'. The way he was throwing yesterday certainly gave the impression that he was in pain. He wasn't finishing his throws at all.
    Unfortunately, they really skimped out on the crickets on mine because they add a pretty flavourful crunch element on top of the coleslaw.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,152 Times in 3,263 Posts
    I think Happ was well equipped to face the Yankees and he displayed as much, the problem was the offense/Severino making it impossible for us to get anything going.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

Thanks
    It's annoying that we don't know what the actual issue is with the arm, aside from 'dead arm'. The way he was throwing yesterday certainly gave the impression that he was in pain. He wasn't finishing his throws at all.
    Yeah it really reminded me of Bautista. He just really lobbed it to try and protect his arm.

Donaldson looked like my beer league softball 3B over there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onwego View Post
    Nope, its right at game time now. I picked up sec124 row 30 for $30 US to the opener. You can use your phone now too.
    I have a feeling Im going to be able to snag tickets close to home plate this season for pennies on the dollar.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisS For This Useful Post:

onwego (03-30-2018)

Thanks
    He hurt himself on that great play he made at third and whip the ball to first to get the out. His throwing problems came after that.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    The worst part of the Donaldson situation is neither the team nor the player have much of an incentive to be cautious with his shoulder.

Prospect
    Thanks
    This yankees team looks like the real deal

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    Nope, its right at game time now. I picked up sec124 row 30 for $30 US to the opener. You can use your phone now too.
    I have a feeling Im going to be able to snag tickets close to home plate this season for pennies on the dollar.
    Thanks ChrisS!!

I saw a lot of single good seats like that for yesterday, work prevailed, and I didn't miss much.

Hope both of us can grab cheap great seats all season!!!