LAD
    Preview
    10:15 PM ET
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things I havenít seen before

Just Drafted
    Thanks

Things I havenít seen before

After 40 years of watching a game every day I still see something new to write on my scorecard.

Last night we had 1st and 3rd with one out.

Runner on 3rd went on contact right back to the mound, during the rundown the runner on first took 3rd and held while the trapped man ran back past the bag, practically into left field before the tag.

The catcher insisted it was a double play, but only one out was given. Fireworks didnít erupt from his manager, who would have given them if he felt it was right.

They blew the call as the man just into third had essentially passed his teammate on the base path. Should have been a double play.

Or so the announcers said 90 minutes later.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,611 Times in 6,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onwego View Post
    After 40 years of watching a game every day I still see something new to write on my scorecard.

Runner on 3rd went on contact right back to the mound, during the rundown the runner on first took 3rd and held while the trapped man ran back past the bag, practically into left field before the tag.

The catcher insisted it was a double play, but only one out was given. Fireworks didn’t erupt from his manager, who would have given them if he felt it was right.

They blew the call as the man just into third had essentially passed his teammate on the base path. Should have been a double play.

What's this now?

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,056 Times in 2,267 Posts

The catcher insisted it was a double play, but only one out was given. Fireworks didnít erupt from his manager, who would have given them if he felt it was right.

I haven't seen the play, but I believe if the runner that started on 1st is on the bag at 3rd when the other runner runs by, they're considered to own it and the runner returning there is not able to occupy it (hence wouldn't be considered to have passed them since they didn't run towards 2nd. I'm not 100% sure though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
    I haven't seen the play, but I believe if the runner that started on 1st is on the bag at 3rd when the other runner runs by, they're considered to own it and the runner returning there is not able to occupy it (hence wouldn't be considered to have passed them since they didn't run towards 2nd. I'm not 100% sure though.
    He's saying the runner caught between home and 3rd ran past the bag up the LF line he's out and the runner on 3rd that occupies that bag is safe. I'm wondering what game this was?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 961 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    He's saying the runner caught between home and 3rd ran past the bag up the LF line he's out and the runner on 3rd that occupies that bag is safe. I'm wondering what game this was?
    https://www.mlb.com/video/orioles-re...83?tid=6479266
    #TeamSmoak
    #TeamSanchez

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Candy Maldonado For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (04-07-2018)

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Yankees and Os last night

Stanton was the runner on third

Apparently...... with Sanchez now passing Stanton, Sanchez is out and Stanton had the right to try to get back to third

At the same time an ump can deem a man as tagged out if he isnít trying to get back to his base..... Iíve seen it a few times in the major as a basestealer that is going to be out makes a travesty of not going to second to be tagged. Is this like a quick whistle in [email protected]@

The crew admitted it was in error on not calling a DP.

The Os TV crew said this situation is the textbook instruction on the interpretation of the rule.

Iím sure many on here know the rules ten times better than me....

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    In addition, reliever Givens on a wild pitch perfectly sealed off the plate as Didi came in with what would have been the winning run from third.

Rarely has a pitcher sealed off home with a splits slide while facing home plate. He must practice that a lot.

The Os announcers talked about a non-catcher having the right to seal off home without the ball without an answer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 961 Posts
    In addition, reliever Givens on a wild pitch perfectly sealed off the plate as Didi came in with what would have been the winning run from third.

Rarely has a pitcher sealed off home with a splits slide while facing home plate. He must practice that a lot.

The Os announcers talked about a non-catcher having the right to seal off home without the ball without an answer.
    https://www.mlb.com/video/orioles-na...83?tid=6479266
    #TeamSmoak
    #TeamSanchez

Thanks

Apparently...... with Sanchez now passing Stanton, Sanchez is out and Stanton had the right to try to get back to third

At the same time an ump can deem a man as tagged out if he isnít trying to get back to his base..... Iíve seen it a few times in the major as a basestealer that is going to be out makes a travesty of not going to second to be tagged. Is this like a quick whistle in [email protected]@

The Os TV crew said this situation is the textbook instruction on the interpretation of the rule.

Iím sure many on here know the rules ten times better than me....
    Stanton didn't touch 3rd base and ran towards left field. He did not pass the runner imo. Not a double play. The runners never occupied the same base
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

Thanks

At the same time an ump can deem a man as tagged out if he isn’t trying to get back to his base..... I’ve seen it a few times in the major as a basestealer that is going to be out makes a travesty of not going to second to be tagged. Is this like a quick whistle in [email protected]@

I’m sure many on here know the rules ten times better than me....
    It's linked in the post above, the rules expert says it's a double play... thanks Candyman.

Showalter was indeed, correct. The Yankee announcers just said as much in this game being played, now.

https://www.mlb.com/video/orioles-re...83?tid=6479266

BY THE RULES

Showalter unsuccessfully lobbied for a double play to be called in the sixth inning, noting Rule 5.06(b) after Neil Walker's tapper back to the mound off Richard Bleier involved Stanton in a rundown between third base and home plate.

Gary Sanchez reached third before Stanton touched the bag, running into foul territory in left field. Catcher Joseph tagged both Stanton and Sanchez. Showalter held up two fingers, telling crew chief Jerry Meals that Sanchez should also be called out, as the rules indicate that he may be deemed to have passed Stanton.

"[Third-base umpire Ron Kulpa] thought he abandoned the base by going past it. So, in his mind there was never two guys on the bag," Showalter said of the reasoning behind the call. "Because we tagged the right guys. We worked on that in the spring, about who was out and who wasn't out, and what you want to get the guys to do. I thought our guys did it perfect. I had a couple points that I thought made their points questionable, but it worked out."

Meals concurred with Showalter. "Sanchez should have been out automatically for passing Stanton," he said. "Then, Stanton had the right to come back and touch third before being tagged or be called out for abandoning his effort."

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Stanton didn't touch 3rd base and ran towards left field. He did not pass the runner imo. Not a double play. The runners never occupied the same base
    Watching it at the time I thought the catcher was crazy to argue, Showalter didnít erupt as he often likes to.

But I guess with hindsight the umps were wrong....

Thanks
    Watching it at the time I thought the catcher was crazy to argue, Showalter didn’t erupt as he often likes to.

But I guess with hindsight the umps were wrong....
    I think it's a toss up and in the interpretation...I'd say they got it right
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    It's linked in the post above, the rules expert says it's a double play... thanks Candyman.

Showalter was indeed, correct.

BY THE RULES

Showalter unsuccessfully lobbied for a double play to be called in the sixth inning, noting Rule 5.06(b) after Neil Walker's tapper back to the mound off Richard Bleier involved Stanton in a rundown between third base and home plate.

Gary Sanchez reached third before Stanton touched the bag, running into foul territory in left field. Catcher Joseph tagged both Stanton and Sanchez. Showalter held up two fingers, telling crew chief Jerry Meals that Sanchez should also be called out, as the rules indicate that he may be deemed to have passed Stanton.

"[Third-base umpire Ron Kulpa] thought he abandoned the base by going past it. So, in his mind there was never two guys on the bag," Showalter said of the reasoning behind the call. "Because we tagged the right guys. We worked on that in the spring, about who was out and who wasn't out, and what you want to get the guys to do. I thought our guys did it perfect. I had a couple points that I thought made their points questionable, but it worked out."

Meals concurred with Showalter. "Sanchez should have been out automatically for passing Stanton," he said. "Then, Stanton had the right to come back and touch third before being tagged or be called out for abandoning his effort."
    But to pass him they had to occupy the same base right...Which they never did. Instead of running the bases backwards he gave up and missed everything running to the OF

Thanks
    I think they got it right. It's like if it happened at 2B. Sanchez gets to the base then Stanton veers off and runs into CF and gets tagged never touching the base. Bet everyone says he didn't pass the runner...same thing here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    I think they got it right. It's like if it happened at 2B. Sanchez gets to the base then Stanton veers off and runs into CF and gets tagged never touching the base. Bet everyone says he didn't pass the runner...same thing here
    Well the rules expert says it's a DP(in the link above)... the Managers say it was a DP, and the Yanks announcers just said it was a DP, I guess it was a DP, there's been a rule change or something, FWIW, I thought the same as you.

Heck even the umpire said it's a DP.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

LetTheBallFly (04-07-2018)

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    The nuances of this game is one of the best parts of it. Great replies here, Iím still not totally convinced either way.....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to onwego For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (04-07-2018)