CWS
    Preview
    8:15 PM ET
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanchez changeup

Prospect
    Thanks

Sanchez changeup

Sorry if it's been talked about somewhere else, but this thing is nasty. Where the hell did it come from? I know he's always sorta had one, but he didn't exactly use it much and it sure never looked this good. The movement is ridiculous. He was pretty clearly holding back on the fastball tonight but with that sinker and curve he's got, this could potentially get really interesting.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,392 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowgold View Post
    Sorry if it's been talked about somewhere else, but this thing is nasty. Where the hell did it come from? I know he's always sorta had one, but he didn't exactly use it much and it sure never looked this good. The movement is ridiculous. He was pretty clearly holding back on the fastball tonight but with that sinker and curve he's got, this could potentially get really interesting.
    He's always had it, but could never command it with any semblance of success. So far this season it's much more consistent
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,436 Posts
    He finally has a feel for it. He seemed to have got the velocity down to as low as 86. But he was over throwing it and the only reason the Orioles were so baffled was because he use to throw pretty much just Sinkers. If he can combine that with the velocity he will be extremely successful. Apparently he was throwing 91-94 by design last night. I don't buy it he needs his fastball at 94-97 that's what made him dominant in 2016. That along with his curve.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonn For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (04-11-2018)

Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonn View Post
    He finally has a feel for it. He seemed to have got the velocity down to as low as 86. But he was over throwing it and the only reason the Orioles were so baffled was because he use to throw pretty much just Sinkers. If he can combine that with the velocity he will be extremely successful. Apparently he was throwing 91-94 by design last night. I don't buy it he needs his fastball at 94-97 that's what made him dominant in 2016. That along with his curve.
    You would kind of think he was dominant last night, No?
    Having 3 major league pitches has to be better than 2.
    But Yes, I was looking for that 96 mph heater myself, I am sure he could mix in a few of them also? Would that make 4?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,606 Times in 6,614 Posts
    During the post game presser with Gibby... a reporter mentioned that he threw 42 CU, that's far too many. He needs to mix up more CB and high heat in his game with the softer 2 seamer for more swing and miss. A good result last night, but he was far from dominant.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maico450 View Post
    You would kind of think he was dominant last night, No?
    Having 3 major league pitches has to be better than 2.
    But Yes, I was looking for that 96 mph heater myself, I am sure he could mix in a few of them also? Would that make 4?
    Hard for me to say a pitcher was dominant when he walked 5 and only struck out 4.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Watching the game I felt he was painting a lot more than the walk total shows. Got fucked on quite a few call (especially 2-seamer on inside to lefties).
    All in all, not dominate in the true sense, but a great game and bodes well for the future.

Sanchez probably won't be an ace as he can't miss bats as often as needed. But he should be a really valuable rotation piece.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r0s For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (04-11-2018)

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Change up is only effective if he throws md 90s.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z3r0s View Post
    Watching the game I felt he was painting a lot more than the walk total shows. Got fucked on quite a few call (especially 2-seamer on inside to lefties).
    All in all, not dominate in the true sense, but a great game and bodes well for the future.

Sanchez probably won't be an ace as he can't miss bats as often as needed. But he should be a really valuable rotation piece.
    Depends how you define ace. I mean he's already won an ERA title in his one full season as a starter with only 3.8 WAR. I don't think it's unrealistic to think he could continue to improve to where he's putting up regular around 5 WAR seasons, which would almost certainly mean he'd be at the top of the rotation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    The velocity drop on the fastball may be to avoid blister problems? Anyone know if there is a cause effect here
    Well, if that's the case he's finished, this will be his ceiling as team's adjust.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    During the post game presser with Gibby... a reporter mentioned that he threw 42 CU, that's far too many. He needs to mix up more CB and high heat in his game with the softer 2 seamer for more swing and miss. A good result last night, but he was far from dominant.
    SSS, but his SwStr% is at 10.7% so far this year - best of his career (8.2% in 2016)

It's not going to matter how hard he's throwing, or what pitch sequence he's using if he can't get the BB% down. With HBP included, he's at 6.86 BB/9 right now (vs. 5.95 K/9). That isn't sustainable.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (04-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 822 Posts
    Well, if that's the case he's finished, this will be his ceiling as team's adjust.
    I deleted the post, doesnt make sense on reflection that a 96 to 92 MPH drop on the fastball will avoid blisters. Probably just an attempt to find better command
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    I think the Trump presidency has been a smashing success so far, tbh.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcanuck For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (04-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,109 Posts
    May also be why the CB% is down and the CU% is up...

Personally, I think he could be very effective working at 92-94 on his sinker with a good curve and that new quality change up. BUT - if that's the new Sanchez - he needs to throw way more strikes and keep the BB% down.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    SSS, but his SwStr% is at 10.7% so far this year - best of his career (8.2% in 2016)

It's not going to matter how hard he's throwing, or what pitch sequence he's using if he can't get the BB% down. With HBP included, he's at 6.86 BB/9 right now (vs. 5.95 K/9). That isn't sustainable.
    Yeah, that change gets a lot of swing and miss, I'm just saying moving forward he needs to utilize that change with more 4SF and CB usage, it could open a door for him going forward. Pitching like he did last night, won't bode well.

Prospect
    Thanks
    If this is his ceiling, I will take it. 8 innings of 3 hit, 1 run, take that every game. Sanchez has the kind of stuff, that even if the batter knows what is coming, they still cant hit it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Maico450 For This Useful Post:

Bobthe4th (04-11-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    May also be why the CB% is down and the CU% is up...

Personally, I think he could be very effective working at 92-94 on his sinker with a good curve and that new quality change up. BUT - if that's the new Sanchez - he needs to throw way more strikes and keep the BB% down.
    Agreed, I agree with z3r0s that he was squeezed a bit by that umpire last night(fucking awful). All in all the walks do need to come down.