• SF
    WSH
    Preview
    10:15 PM ET
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Breaking: Donaldson to DL

Thanks
    Thanked 8,754 Times in 4,868 Posts
    Vlad Jr. has a .357 ISO with a 5.7% K rate in AA through 7 games, lmao.

He's basically already proven his talent is above that level.

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,053 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post

Steamer has him projected at 101 wRC+. I don't think I've ever seen a projection that high for someone who's played 7 games above A ball.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Abomination For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (04-13-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post

fuck it call him up

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bones10 For This Useful Post:

LetTheBallFly (04-14-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    But the Astros could lose Altuve, or the Yankees Stanton, or the Sox Betts... and they still are strong contenders.

A lot has to go right for this Jays team to contend. Chances are, they won't.
    Im just talking about staying over .500, contending has not entered my vocabulary.
    When I finish a job nobody sees me leave. I'm either swallowed up by the night or disappear in the mist.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Omar For This Useful Post:

Jimcanuck (04-13-2018),LetTheBallFly (04-14-2018)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    Yup.

But no one wants to hear that. Especially people that were adamant about him not being moved.
    That idea seems even more asinine after our hot start in April. Playoff calibre teams with great farm systems don't trade MVP calibre players that want to sign a contract extension.
    Last edited by Grant77; 04-13-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    That idea seems even more asinine after our hot start in April. Playoff calibre teams with great farm systems don't trade MVP calibre players that want to sign a contract extension.
    So I'm honestly a little confused with this situation. Why DL him?? Did a new injury appear this week, or did the original injury all of a sudden get worse??

He looked fine at the plate, and was getting the job done in the field. Fangraphs still had him as a plus on defense. He just hit a 400 foot line drive grandslam Monday night. Two days later he's on the DL with no specific time table??

Some good questions in the thread. Let's look at the facts.

1. Donaldson was still helping the team, and was basically the Jays best player up until Tuesday.
    2. The American League has a DH. Our DH is hurt.
    3. If he is still helping, and he has the option to DH why not DH, and do the throwing program on the side?
    4. Even if he can't throw, he still could be average on defense. This may be hard to believe to the "super-scout" types, but there aren't a tonne of plays that require an all-out throw. Donaldson, can no longer make those plays, but that isn't as big of a deal as people think. He was still making most of the plays at third. Hell, even the first game when he was throwing 40, he still made all the plays, even though he looked ridiculous.

The only reason to DL Donaldson, is if he got significantly worse mid week, or if the Jays think by playing, he could end up getting a significant injury.
    If we don't win this year we'll win next year, if we don't win next year we'll win the year after that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 981 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    They do if the feeling isn't mutual because the term and/or dollars don't work.

... And I don't think this is a playoff calibre team.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,591 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post
    So I'm honestly a little confused with this situation. Why DL him?? Did a new injury appear this week, or did the original injury all of a sudden get worse??

He looked fine at the plate, and was getting the job done in the field. Fangraphs still had him as a plus on defense. He just hit a 400 foot line drive grandslam Monday night. Two days later he's on the DL with no specific time table??

1. Donaldson was still helping the team, and was basically the Jays best player up until Tuesday.
    3. If he is still helping, and he has the option to DH why not DH, and do the throwing program on the side?
    4. Even if he can't throw, he still could be average on defense. This may be hard to believe to the "super-scout" types, but there aren't a tonne of plays that require an all-out throw. Donaldson, can no longer make those plays, but that isn't as big of a deal as people think. He was still making most of the plays at third. Hell, even the first game when he was throwing 40, he still made all the plays, even though he looked ridiculous.

The only reason to DL Donaldson, is if he got significantly worse mid week, or if the Jays think by playing, he could end up getting a significant injury.
    My hope is that they think a short DL stint will simply take care of it and he'll be back to normal.

Blue Chip Prospect
    Thanks
    Don't think he'll be getting that long term deal.

All Star
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    They do if the feeling isn't mutual because the term and/or dollars don't work.

... And I don't think this is a playoff calibre team.
    Negotiations are dynamic and can change over time. The front office obviously feels they can compete or they can get as much at the deadline as they could have in the off season. We haven't exactly signed a lot of high profile free agents in the last 20 years. Having a top 5 player who wants to be a Jay isn't something to take for granted.

You can talk about how lousy the team is all you want, but after a 9 and 5 start, you're not going to convince many of your argument. Come back in a month and maybe you'll have a better opportunity to make your case or you might have to capitulate.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    29 and decline.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post

It's probably the last point you made. They've stated publicly that it hasn't gotten worse, it just wasn't getting better. Whether that's 100% true or not is up for debate but obviously they'd rather him miss 10 days in April than 2 months later on if they could have done something to avoid it.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

16. The Following User Says Thank You to John_Havok For This Useful Post:

Orgfiller (04-14-2018)

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bones10 View Post
    fuck it call him up
    Listened to Pedro Martinez on MLB TV last night and he said that this would be a perfect opportunity to bring his godson Vladdy up for a possible 2 week stint to see how he fares with major league pitching. I agree.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spats View Post
    Listened to Pedro Martinez on MLB TV last night and he said that this would be a perfect opportunity to bring his godson Vladdy up for a possible 2 week stint to see how he fares with major league pitching. I agree.
    They aren't interested in that. They want to bring him up for good. Just let him have a good Double-A season and will see where we are at around the All-Star break. They seem quite interested in keeping both Vlad and Bo together as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,591 Posts
    We need to screw with Vlad's service time. I also highly doubt that his defense is MLB ready anyway. I think May of next year is the time to call him up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    We need to screw with Vlad's service time. I also highly doubt that his defense is MLB ready anyway. I think May of next year is the time to call him up.
    if we're without donaldson you gotta think theres a real chance he breaks camp with the team, depending how he does this year ofc.