• LAD
    SD
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Morales - DFA time?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dinger View Post
    Fair enough, although he might accept assignment if he feels that no other team is interested in signing him anyway.
    To be honest, I'd rather he just be released. I want Barnes/McGuire/Alford/Pompey/Travis to keep getting AB's in AAA, and Morales will just cause the same issues for roster flexibility in Buffalo that he does here. The best scenario would be some sort of phantom DL stay where he works on his hitting and then possibly comes back with some gusto. I'd be low-key putting him on the juice and hope that he goes full Collabello (either hits well or gets suspended).
    "You want to sit next to Donaldson on the airplane. Sit next to him on the bench. Just rub him off, cause he is smoking hot right now."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Muck Bartinez For This Useful Post:

KingKat (04-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,671 Posts
    The Royals would take on Morales if he was available for the league minimum. We'd at least get to discount that from the remainder owed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    The Royals would take on Morales if he was available for the league minimum. We'd at least get to discount that from the remainder owed.
    Yeah, he'd likely refuse AAA and then KC can pick him up at minimum. We'd have to pay the difference on his contract.

Maybe we can trade him to them for a lottery ticket and eat all his money anyway to save face? Still not sure the front office (or Rogers) want to release a player with nearly 2 years left on his contract.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobthe4th For This Useful Post:

Terminator (04-30-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Yeah, he'd likely refuse AAA and then KC can pick him up at minimum. We'd have to pay the difference on his contract.

Maybe we can trade him to them for a lottery ticket and eat all his money anyway to save face? Still not sure the front office (or Rogers) want to release a player with nearly 2 years left on his contract.
    I don't know exactly how paying his entire contract would save any face. Either way it's a sunk cost.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bendera3 For This Useful Post:

KingKat (04-30-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bendera3 View Post
    I don't know exactly how paying his entire contract would save any face. Either way it's a sunk cost.
    Because to most of the fanbase trading him to free up flexibility on the roster sounds better than releasing him. The optics are better.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,237 Posts
    There seems to be this concept in baseball that any player over 33 that has a bad month is useless garbage.
    Morales could easily turn things around. And if he does, the Jays are going to look awfully stupid having handed Boston an $11 MM/year player for $500k.

You guys can talk about negative WAR all day long, but if we're talking about a firstbaseman, we still need to replace his .250/.308/.445 line.
    Anybody aware of any big mashers we have just sitting on the bench?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 906 Posts
    I trust this FO to make the right move.

If their internal metrics, scouting and coaching suggests that Morales can be a viable contributor over other players, then they will keep him. If not, then they will dump him. People have been poisoned by two decades worth of Godfrey and drunk Beeston that they think they'll keep Morales simply because of the contract.

They really need to beg Rogers to allow them to dump this contract? Give a two page power point presentation over how much money they saved on Bautista by avoiding giving into his demands or how much excess value the Smoak contract has provided.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick_Pole For This Useful Post:

KingKat (04-30-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post

If their internal metrics, scouting and coaching suggests that Morales can be a viable contributor over other players, then they will keep him. If not, then they will dump him. People have been poisoned by two decades worth of Godfrey and drunk Beeston that they think they'll keep Morales simply because of the contract.

They really need to beg Rogers to allow them to dump this contract? Give a two page power point presentation over how much money they saved on Bautista by avoiding giving into his demands or how much excess value the Smoak contract has provided.
    I think I'd rather get rid of Morales and have either Pompey or DSJ up here to make sure Pearce never has to play the outfield again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bendera3 For This Useful Post:

KingKat (04-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,143 Times in 4,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthe4th View Post
    Because to most of the fanbase trading him to free up flexibility on the roster sounds better than releasing him. The optics are better.
    Exactly. If we are talking about optics/fan opinion, it would be far worse to demote Teo at this point than to release Morales. It's also just worse for our on-field competitiveness and player dev.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dinger For This Useful Post:

KingKat (04-30-2018)

Thanks

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JaysAllMighty For This Useful Post:

Muck Bartinez (04-30-2018),P2F (04-30-2018),Spanky99 (04-30-2018),Terminator (04-30-2018),wilko (04-30-2018)

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Pole View Post

I hope that you're right. If Morales was just like any other bad FA signing that didn't work out, then it shouldn't be too hard for the FO to move on from him. But I don't think that this case will be 100% about the metrics. Because of their haste to sign Morales to replace Edwin, i'm guessing they'll carry the deadwood for as long as they possibly can.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack View Post
    I hope that you're right. If Morales was just like any other bad FA signing that didn't work out, then it shouldn't be too hard for the FO to move on from him. But I don't think that this case will be 100% about the metrics. Because of their haste to sign Morales to replace Edwin, i'm guessing they'll carry the deadwood for as long as they possibly can.
    You're nuts if you think this FO signed Morales in hast after EE didn't accept their (superior) offer.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

JaysAllMighty (04-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 5,444 Posts
    I think I'd rather get rid of Morales and have either Pompey or DSJ up here to make sure Pearce never has to play the outfield again.
    Watch your mouth
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Can't wait to meet the new Matt Olson(s)!

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    diaz DFA eventually too.

smoak 1b
    solarte 2b
    tulo ss
    donaldson 3b
    Peirce LF
    Pillar CF
    Hernandez RF
    Martin C

rolling through rest and positions / DH

Guerreil
    Grichuk
    Granderson
    Maile

im being a optimist and assuming tulo will play decent again when he returns... lol... Go ahead roast me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 Times in 1,179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicaEsLivida View Post
    diaz DFA eventually too.

smoak 1b
    solarte 2b
    tulo ss
    donaldson 3b
    Peirce LF
    Pillar CF
    Hernandez RF
    Martin C

rolling through rest and positions / DH

Guerreil
    Grichuk
    Granderson
    Maile

im being a optimist and assuming tulo will play decent again when he returns... lol... Go ahead roast me.
    lmao Diaz is not getting DFA'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Heck no. I'm not too impressed with Garcia. Has been overly wild imo and gotten them to chase some which has helped a lot.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SirBJay For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (04-30-2018)

Thanks
    3 for 3, 2 homers, 2 walks, and his first stolen base for nearly a decade (last was Oct 2009). Offer him an extension?