DET 2
    In Progress
    Bottom 11th
  • HOU 0
    CLE 0
    Pre-Game
    8:08 PM ET
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think of the job that Gibby has been doing so far?

Thanks

What do you guys think of the job that Gibby has been doing so far?

I'm generally a Gibby fan, but this year some of the lineup management has been a bit weird and I feel like he's not giving the team the best chance to win. I notice he'll start a lot of backups in clusters whereas I think he'd be better suited to spread them out a bit when giving guys a day off. Some of his batting orders have been puzzling as well. He seems to make the lineups based on the "hot" hand as opposed to basing things off of the statistical probability.

It's early in the season of course and I've definitely seen worse in the league, but his game calling's been a little mediocre so far.

Thanks
    I should specify that by "so far" I mean this season only, not his general tenure.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,802 Times in 6,755 Posts
    *sighs*

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

onwego (05-14-2018)

Thanks
    Just a casual question.

On the plus side, I like how he's used the bullpen. Sure, they've been overused, but that's only because the starters have been so underwhelming.

Just Drafted
    Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 5ToolPhenom View Post
    I'm generally a Gibby fan, but this year some of the lineup management has been a bit weird and I feel like he's not giving the team the best chance to win. I notice he'll start a lot of backups in clusters whereas I think he'd be better suited to spread them out a bit when giving guys a day off. Some of his batting orders have been puzzling as well. He seems to make the lineups based on the "hot" hand as opposed to basing things off of the statistical probability.

It's early in the season of course and I've definitely seen worse in the league, but his game calling's been a little mediocre so far.
    gibby couldn't manage a wheelbarrow race

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,015 Posts
    It's shocking to me that this team is over .500. Gibby has to get some of the credit for that.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,798 Times in 8,180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylian View Post
    It's shocking to me that this team is over .500. Gibby has to get some of the credit for that.
    Yup.

- JD has been battling injury all year and hasn’t been himself
    - Tulo hasn’t played a game
    - Tulo’s replacement was shit, then got hurt too
    - Martin hasn’t hit at all
    - Smoak has been replacement level again
    - Kendrys Morales might be the worst player in MLB
    - Stroman has been shit and is now hurt
    - Sanchez has been shit
    - Estrada has been shit
    - Garcia has been shit
    - Osuna was arrested for domestic assault

Somehow the team is chugging along a game over 0.500 with zero rumours of clubhouse issues.

Gibby is a goddamn stud.
    Last edited by BTS; 05-14-2018 at 08:44 AM.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:

Brownie19 (05-14-2018),John_Havok (05-14-2018),Orgfiller (05-14-2018),P2F (05-14-2018),Pinkfloid (05-14-2018),wilko (05-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,310 Times in 3,360 Posts
    Gibby's lineups have been fantastic all year long, even with what is basically a forced inclusion of Morales. He hasn't had much to work with on the bullpen side due to the starters being quite lackluster, but nevertheless he's brought in the right relievers most of the time accounting properly for leverage. He continues to be extremely charismatic.

10/10 Gibby
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    Synder is mediocre at best this year. Let me know when Synder is giving up less runs per game than Sanchez, until then I'll take Sanchez

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orgfiller For This Useful Post:

Pendleton (05-14-2018),Pinkfloid (05-14-2018)

Prospect
    Thanks
    When is John Gibbons gonna get his due? As an ex-catcher, you know he was probably gonna handle pitching staffs and bullpen decisions well, which he always has. I like his batting lineups too. The guy can manage, let's move on.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 5,430 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ToolPhenom View Post

Best manager in the game
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Can't wait to meet the new Matt Olson(s)!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Boxcar For This Useful Post:

Brownie19 (05-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 1,139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
    Best manager in the game
    Man oh man - how far we've come.

There's one thing I know about this team and it's that Gibby is not an issue. Long live Gibby - the best Blue Jays manager of all-time.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 5,430 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Man oh man - how far we've come.

There's one thing I know about this team and it's that Gibby is not an issue. Long live Gibby - the best Blue Jays manager of all-time.
    It's funny, I made that post partly in jest but I can't think of a single manager I'd rather have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Can't wait to meet the new Matt Olson(s)!

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I have a few minor nitpicky things like him still waiting too long to yank the starters...after they've given up the lead rather than 1 or batters prior when it's clear the starter is just serving it up... but that might be because the starters have been so shit that he's really limited in his options.

He always has been very loyal to his starters in that way and i'm not sure if the results would be any better now given the pen is already overworked ... and getting more work probably won't do it any favours.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,655 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    I have a few minor nitpicky things like him still waiting too long to yank the starters...after they've given up the lead rather than 1 or batters prior when it's clear the starter is just serving it up... but that might be because the starters have been so shit that he's really limited in his options.

He always has been very loyal to his starters in that way and i'm not sure if the results would be any better now given the pen is already overworked ... and getting more work probably won't do it any favours.
    From what I have gathered Gibby is aware of the "3rd time though the order" dropoff but he doesn't adhere to it because he thinks it will wear down a bullpen over the course of the season. I'm not really sure what to make of that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,655 Posts
    But Gibby is a damn good manager. His in-game strategy is fine. Sometimes his lineups are a little funky or he leaves a starter in too long but it's minor gripes. I think he's probably one of the top managers in this regard.

But on top of that he also seems to manage the players very well. He never throws anyone under the bus when the media tries to bait him into it. He also doesn't take shit from the umps or opposing managers yet the team refrains from stupid bean ball wars unless they have to. He's a funny guy on top of it all.

I'd sign him to a lifetime contract if it were up to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    But Gibby is a damn good manager. His in-game strategy is fine. Sometimes his lineups are a little funky or he leaves a starter in too long but it's minor gripes. I think he's probably one of the top managers in this regard.

But on top of that he also seems to manage the players very well. He never throws anyone under the bus when the media tries to bait him into it. He also doesn't take shit from the umps or opposing managers yet the team refrains from stupid bean ball wars unless they have to. He's a funny guy on top of it all.

I'd sign him to a lifetime contract if it were up to me.
    It already feels like he's been here a lifetime. When I started watching baseball in 2004 he was the manager and I can't believe he's here in 2018 lol.