Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 177 to 192 of 1201

Thread: 2021 Collective Bargaining Agreement Discussion Thread

  1. #177
    All Star AdamGreenwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,057
    Thanks
    450
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    TV revenue is one of the biggest revenue streams that gets shared through revenue sharing, so anything the Dodgers and the biggest markets would pull in this year would still be shared as normal to the clubs with lesser TV deals. Shouldn't be a problem.


    However, teams should be quite worried down the road that TV deals are going to be drying up to a point. People are simply cutting the cord on cable TV and choosing streaming options far more often these days. The multi-billion dollar local TV deals are likely a thing of the past.

    I don't think so. Live sports is heavily in demand for advertisers. It's one of the few things, you can't illegally download or stream to avoid all of the commercials.

  2. #178
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    I don't think so. Live sports is heavily in demand for advertisers. It's one of the few things, you can't illegally download or stream to avoid all of the commercials.
    Thankfully this is not true, love my live sports streamed without commercials.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to itaos For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-08-2022)

  4. #179
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    10,672
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 2,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    I don't think so. Live sports is heavily in demand for advertisers. It's one of the few things, you can't illegally download or stream to avoid all of the commercials.
    It’s not about that, it’s about people not wanting to pay what cable companies charge for their subscriptions, and the subsequent sports packages. More and more viewership every year is switching to streaming services for sports consumption. Not the illegal stuff, the legal ones. People don’t want to pay for shit they don’t use anymore.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  5. #180
    MVP
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    10,148
    Thanks
    310
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itaos View Post
    Thankfully this is not true, love my live sports streamed without commercials.
    Is the viewing experience that much better? Games are formatted for commercial breaks, so either you’re going to change the channel for the break, or ignore the tv for that time. If you just like the quiet visuals, turn the commercials on mute lol

  6. #181
    All Star AdamGreenwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,057
    Thanks
    450
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itaos View Post
    Thankfully this is not true, love my live sports streamed without commercials.
    Live sports have commercial breaks built in. What exactly happens during your live-sports streams?

  7. #182
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    82,908
    Thanks
    80,618
    Thanked 15,103 Times in 11,556 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    Live sports have commercial breaks built in. What exactly happens during your live-sports streams?
    *Commercial Break in Progress*
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Alright let's all get drunk and disappoint our families tonight

  8. #183
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by connorp View Post
    Is the viewing experience that much better? Games are formatted for commercial breaks, so either you’re going to change the channel for the break, or ignore the tv for that time. If you just like the quiet visuals, turn the commercials on mute lol
    I tend to have games on in the background when I'm working. So not hearing the same Gronk commercial at an elevated volume repeatedly is nice. Missing the food commercials helps cut down on snacking too.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to itaos For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-09-2022)

  10. #184
    DONOR Spanky99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    82,908
    Thanks
    80,618
    Thanked 15,103 Times in 11,556 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itaos View Post
    I tend to have games on in the background when I'm working. So not hearing the same Gronk commercial at an elevated volume repeatedly is nice. Missing the food commercials helps cut down on snacking too.
    The latter is truth. Commercial in progress works so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Alright let's all get drunk and disappoint our families tonight

  11. #185
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    10,672
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 2,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    Live sports have commercial breaks built in. What exactly happens during your live-sports streams?
    There’s just a timed gap with stuff on the screen that says “commercial in progress.” MLB used to put short highlights on from years past to fill those gaps, but they don’t anymore.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  12. #186
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,653
    Thanks
    438
    Thanked 2,101 Times in 990 Posts

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to jerb For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (01-11-2022)

  14. #187
    Hall of Famer Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15,853
    Thanks
    1,075
    Thanked 3,082 Times in 2,311 Posts
    'bout frigging time

    The delay is just tactics by the owners.
    Jimcanuck does not endorse or make any warranty, express or implied, of the accuracy of any link in this post.

  15. #188
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    10,672
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 2,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    'bout frigging time

    The delay is just tactics by the owners.
    Yeah. If I was the negotiator for the PA, i would have been putting out a tweet or release every day stating that he/they were ready to negotiate and has reached out to the owners, waiting for their reply - while of course knowing they wouldn't.

    Obvious tactic to try and keep public sentiment on their side, but can be quite effective.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  16. #189
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie
    Posts
    6,870
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,427 Posts
    MLB is expected to offer an increase in minimum salary to 600-700k and some superficial changes to qualifying offers. They are not going to address service time concerns at all.

    The PA is going to love that.

  17. #190
    DONOR
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    Posts
    10,672
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 2,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    MLB is expected to offer an increase in minimum salary to 600-700k and some superficial changes to qualifying offers. They are not going to address service time concerns at all.

    The PA is going to love that.
    Yeah, that's a laughable increase. Last season the minimum was 575,000 and likely would have increased to 590,000 on it's own due to the built in way it already increased. If they even think an extra 10K is some massive gesture... they're smoking the good shit.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

  18. #191
    All Star AdamGreenwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,057
    Thanks
    450
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Most of the stuff seems like small potatoes.
    The two big things are:

    Minimum/Maximum salaries:
    The two sides still seem pretty far apart on these. Sounds like the owners are OK adding a pretty heft minimum, but despite this the union still wants a huge boost to the maximum. They should recognize the average team spend will get a massive boost from the minimum alone and accept a smaller maximum increase.

    COVID
    They really have to address what happens to player salaries in the event that:
    1) Games are cancelled: I think currently this is pro-rated.
    2) Public is not allowed in, or attendance is restricted. The union should share the revenue loss in this instance, since the owners will get far less revenue. I haven't heard this mentioned at all.

  19. #192
    MVP Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    11,650
    Thanks
    4,854
    Thanked 4,417 Times in 2,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    Yeah, that's a laughable increase. Last season the minimum was 575,000 and likely would have increased to 590,000 on it's own due to the built in way it already increased. If they even think an extra 10K is some massive gesture... they're smoking the good shit.
    I mean $700,000 from $575,000 is still a 21.7% increase. I guess you could argue it's been too low forever and a 50% increase is appropriate, but if they got to the high end of that report, it's not awful. I don't think you can expect the Owners to agree to some massive increase all in one year. I could see them setting it at $700K, with yearly escalation clauses that allow it to approach the 'right' number over the next 5-10 years. $700K with a 5% annual increase gets them to $1M in 8 years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •