Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Collective Bargaining Agreement Discussion Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    TV revenue is one of the biggest revenue streams that gets shared through revenue sharing, so anything the Dodgers and the biggest markets would pull in this year would still be shared as normal to the clubs with lesser TV deals. Shouldn't be a problem.

However, teams should be quite worried down the road that TV deals are going to be drying up to a point. People are simply cutting the cord on cable TV and choosing streaming options far more often these days. The multi-billion dollar local TV deals are likely a thing of the past.

I don't think so. Live sports is heavily in demand for advertisers. It's one of the few things, you can't illegally download or stream to avoid all of the commercials.

Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGreenwood View Post
    I don't think so. Live sports is heavily in demand for advertisers. It's one of the few things, you can't illegally download or stream to avoid all of the commercials.
    Thankfully this is not true, love my live sports streamed without commercials.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to itaos For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-08-2022)

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 2,522 Posts
    It’s not about that, it’s about people not wanting to pay what cable companies charge for their subscriptions, and the subsequent sports packages. More and more viewership every year is switching to streaming services for sports consumption. Not the illegal stuff, the legal ones. People don’t want to pay for shit they don’t use anymore.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,492 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itaos View Post
    Is the viewing experience that much better? Games are formatted for commercial breaks, so either you’re going to change the channel for the break, or ignore the tv for that time. If you just like the quiet visuals, turn the commercials on mute lol

Thanks
    Live sports have commercial breaks built in. What exactly happens during your live-sports streams?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,103 Times in 11,556 Posts
    Live sports have commercial breaks built in. What exactly happens during your live-sports streams?
    *Commercial Break in Progress*
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Alright let's all get drunk and disappoint our families tonight

Prospect
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by connorp View Post
    Is the viewing experience that much better? Games are formatted for commercial breaks, so either you’re going to change the channel for the break, or ignore the tv for that time. If you just like the quiet visuals, turn the commercials on mute lol
    I tend to have games on in the background when I'm working. So not hearing the same Gronk commercial at an elevated volume repeatedly is nice. Missing the food commercials helps cut down on snacking too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to itaos For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-09-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,103 Times in 11,556 Posts
    I tend to have games on in the background when I'm working. So not hearing the same Gronk commercial at an elevated volume repeatedly is nice. Missing the food commercials helps cut down on snacking too.
    The latter is truth. Commercial in progress works so well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Alright let's all get drunk and disappoint our families tonight

DONOR
    Thanks
    There’s just a timed gap with stuff on the screen that says “commercial in progress.” MLB used to put short highlights on from years past to fill those gaps, but they don’t anymore.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,101 Times in 990 Posts

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jerb For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (01-11-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,082 Times in 2,311 Posts
    'bout frigging time

The delay is just tactics by the owners.
    Jimcanuck does not endorse or make any warranty, express or implied, of the accuracy of any link in this post.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    'bout frigging time

The delay is just tactics by the owners.
    Yeah. If I was the negotiator for the PA, i would have been putting out a tweet or release every day stating that he/they were ready to negotiate and has reached out to the owners, waiting for their reply - while of course knowing they wouldn't.

Obvious tactic to try and keep public sentiment on their side, but can be quite effective.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

DONOR
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,427 Posts
    MLB is expected to offer an increase in minimum salary to 600-700k and some superficial changes to qualifying offers. They are not going to address service time concerns at all.

The PA is going to love that.

DONOR
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant77 View Post
    MLB is expected to offer an increase in minimum salary to 600-700k and some superficial changes to qualifying offers. They are not going to address service time concerns at all.

The PA is going to love that.
    Yeah, that's a laughable increase. Last season the minimum was 575,000 and likely would have increased to 590,000 on it's own due to the built in way it already increased. If they even think an extra 10K is some massive gesture... they're smoking the good shit.
    ****FREE SPANKY****

Thanks
    Most of the stuff seems like small potatoes.
    The two big things are:

Minimum/Maximum salaries:
    The two sides still seem pretty far apart on these. Sounds like the owners are OK adding a pretty heft minimum, but despite this the union still wants a huge boost to the maximum. They should recognize the average team spend will get a massive boost from the minimum alone and accept a smaller maximum increase.

COVID
    They really have to address what happens to player salaries in the event that:
    1) Games are cancelled: I think currently this is pro-rated.
    2) Public is not allowed in, or attendance is restricted. The union should share the revenue loss in this instance, since the owners will get far less revenue. I haven't heard this mentioned at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,417 Times in 2,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Havok View Post
    Yeah, that's a laughable increase. Last season the minimum was 575,000 and likely would have increased to 590,000 on it's own due to the built in way it already increased. If they even think an extra 10K is some massive gesture... they're smoking the good shit.
    I mean $700,000 from $575,000 is still a 21.7% increase. I guess you could argue it's been too low forever and a 50% increase is appropriate, but if they got to the high end of that report, it's not awful. I don't think you can expect the Owners to agree to some massive increase all in one year. I could see them setting it at $700K, with yearly escalation clauses that allow it to approach the 'right' number over the next 5-10 years. $700K with a 5% annual increase gets them to $1M in 8 years.