Page 390 of 474 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392400440 ... LastLast
Results 6,225 to 6,240 of 7569

Thread: General Blue Jays Discussion Thread (2022)

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,041 Posts

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jerb For This Useful Post:

Omar (09-13-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,870 Times in 3,076 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimcanuck View Post
    Vladdy clutch in 2021, unclutch in 2022. Did he get a brain transplant?
    Exactly. Clutch isn't a thing. This BS about how many times he's had a hit to tie or take the lead in the 6th inning or later is some made up BS stat. I'm fairly sure if you could track this stat, you'd find these numbers vary widely from year to year for all the best hitters in baseball. It's not a skill that you can see a player is working on and improving year after year.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,295 Times in 2,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stangstag View Post
    The only ones I remember are:

- that Yankees game he hit 3 homers
    - walk off single vs the Os in extras
    - that double he hit in extras and Teo went on to walk it off

That’s all his clutch hitting this year
    None while trailing though, all when tied or ahead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Exactly. Clutch isn't a thing. This BS about how many times he's had a hit to tie or take the lead in the 6th inning or later is some made up BS stat. I'm fairly sure if you could track this stat, you'd find these numbers vary widely from year to year for all the best hitters in baseball. It's not a skill that you can see a player is working on and improving year after year.
    Adjusting your approach depending on the game situation is a thing that good hitters do though.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,870 Times in 3,076 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterbather View Post
    Adjusting your approach depending on the game situation is a thing that good hitters do though.
    Prove it. Show me the list of great hitters who consistently, year in and year out, hit better in clutch situations. Vlad was great last year and hasn't been good at all in those situations this year. Do you think his 'clutch' ability eroded that much in one season?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 1,515 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    Prove it. Show me the list of great hitters who consistently, year in and year out, hit better in clutch situations. Vlad was great last year and hasn't been good at all in those situations this year. Do you think his 'clutch' ability eroded that much in one season?
    How he is pitched in those situations have changed to the most extreme in baseball....minimal strikes basically or perfect pitchers pitches all low or away, meanwhile Judge will get a grooved in cookie over and over lmao. Everyone looks at results and never considers how insane Vlad is being pitched vs last season, yeah he needs to walk more to change it, but the hitters behind him fail at an asinine rate. Being 23 and a top hitter he tries to do it himself more than he should. Will take experience and adjustments...and a team succeeding behind him. Too many people want everything now now now lol
    See the ball and let it fly, Watch the ball soaring through the sky, Higher like a comet in the night air, Defying gravity is rare, Let the ball fly, Its homerun time!!!!!

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 843 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LetTheBallFly View Post
    How he is pitched in those situations have changed to the most extreme in baseball....minimal strikes basically or perfect pitchers pitches all low or away, meanwhile Judge will get a grooved in cookie over and over lmao. Everyone looks at results and never considers how insane Vlad is being pitched vs last season, yeah he needs to walk more to change it, but the hitters behind him fail at an asinine rate. Being 23 and a top hitter he tries to do it himself more than he should. Will take experience and adjustments...and a team succeeding behind him. Too many people want everything now now now lol
    The number of pitches both are seeing in the strike zone are the same according to fangraphs. Difference between them is swing percentage. Judge has a lower in zone and out of zone swing percentage and walks more. He hits more fly balls because of swing mechanics, but also because he doesn't swing at pitches he can't get in the air as much as Vlad.

No evidence (and no reason) that teams would pitch Vlad tougher than Judge.
    If we don't win this year we'll win next year, if we don't win next year we'll win the year after that.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,937 Posts
    The only ones I remember are:

- that Yankees game he hit 3 homers
    - walk off single vs the Os in extras
    - that double he hit in extras and Teo went on to walk it off

That’s all his clutch hitting this year
    That's about what I remember. I'm not sure about the clutch debate. All I know is Vlad at bats are truly complete shit a lot when he has an opportunity to clear some bases off, other than with a GIDP. At the end of the day if Vlad, George and Teo are more consistently driving in some runs, we will be fine. If they don't, we won't. Approach and execution matters as do situations.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigCecil For This Useful Post:

Kordesi (09-14-2022),M.E. (09-14-2022)

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 843 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCecil View Post
    That's about what I remember. I'm not sure about the clutch debate. All I know is Vlad at bats are truly complete shit a lot when he has an opportunity to clear some bases off, other than with a GIDP. At the end of the day if Vlad, George and Teo are more consistently driving in some runs, we will be fine. If they don't, we won't. Approach and execution matters as do situations.
    If all three take walks when they don't get pitches to hit things will be fine. Just so frustrating. If Vladdy want to be "the guy" he needs to realize RBIzzzzz are a thing of the past and clutch means taking the walk when the other option is swinging at bad pitches and GIDP.

When a guy like Vlad isn't getting pitched to he can either hit .320 with 100 walks and settle for a lower RBI total, or he can hit .275 with 50 walks and the same lower RBI total. Swinging wildly when they aren't pitching to him leads to a ground ball or K, not an RBI.
    If we don't win this year we'll win next year, if we don't win next year we'll win the year after that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post
    The number of pitches both are seeing in the strike zone are the same according to fangraphs. Difference between them is swing percentage. Judge has a lower in zone and out of zone swing percentage and walks more. He hits more fly balls because of swing mechanics, but also because he doesn't swing at pitches he can't get in the air as much as Vlad.

No evidence (and no reason) that teams would pitch Vlad tougher than Judge.
    Why entertain that idiot? He is obsessed with vlad. He has had a lot of pitches to hit and misses, he is not being pitched harder than judge, ignore lettheballfly he’s stupid
    SPANKY is a hypocrite counter: 707

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DigitalRock For This Useful Post:

Olerud363 (09-14-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,937 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post
    If all three take walks when they don't get pitches to hit things will be fine. Just so frustrating. If Vladdy want to be "the guy" he needs to realize RBIzzzzz are a thing of the past and clutch means taking the walk when the other option is swinging at bad pitches and GIDP.

When a guy like Vlad isn't getting pitched to he can either hit .320 with 100 walks and settle for a lower RBI total, or he can hit .275 with 50 walks and the same lower RBI total. Swinging wildly when they aren't pitching to him leads to a ground ball or K, not an RBI.
    To me this is a given. If you get pitchers strikes or balls, just pass the baton. Trust the guys behind you in the order. At this point I don't care a lot that Vlad has hit 12000 balls 800 MPH this year. I just want him to have a better approach on what pitch he is zoning up, swing at better pitches to hit when he is at the plate, especially when guys are on, or just take the BB. He got a 2B down the line last night nobody on. But watching live last night he looks more in between and off than on TV to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,824 Times in 9,053 Posts
    Part of me thinks Vlad's current mental funk is the result of a string of shit luck. As stupid as that sounds.

It seems like a lot of the times this year when he goes to the plate with a patient approach the pitcher just happens to paint two perfect sliders on the lower outside corner that clip the zone, or get a call when the ball is just outside.

I think that has happened enough this year to just completely fuck him up to be honest. Now he's lost.

This is purely anecdotal of course.

It's like he is there at the plate some of the time EXPECTING to have to make contact with a perfect, pitcher's pitch of a slider. This makes him swing at a whole bunch of garbage stuff off the plate and it also contorts him against meatballs and pitches on the inner half.
    The Mike Wilner of BJMB
    2022 League of Despair Champion

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laika For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (09-14-2022),LetTheBallFly (09-14-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,824 Times in 9,053 Posts
    I would love to see someone do some professional hitting coach style analysis of Vlad's current swing, from the open side view. I wonder what the mechanical flaws are.
    The Mike Wilner of BJMB
    2022 League of Despair Champion

Thanks
    Thanked 4,289 Times in 2,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    I would love to see someone do some professional hitting coach style analysis of Vlad's current swing, from the open side view. I wonder what the mechanical flaws are.
    I donít think anything is really wrong with his swing, we know he can rake. I think its just timing is off right now and bad pitch selection.

Timing is off and heís missing meatballs, swinging at bad pitches and hitting a lot of grounders. The exit velo is there

Thanks
    Thanked 3,451 Times in 2,569 Posts
    I donít think anything is really wrong with his swing, we know he can rake. I think its just timing is off right now and bad pitch selection.

Timing is off and heís missing meatballs, swinging at bad pitches and hitting a lot of grounders. The exit velo is there
    I don't know, I'm no hitting coach, but my perception just from watching is he has more of an uppercut swing this year compared to last. As if he's consciously trying to hit the ball in the air and double crossing himself with a shitload of groundballs instead.

Plus his frustration / mental funk.
    Jimcanuck does not endorse or make any warranty, express or implied, of the accuracy of any link in this post.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 774 Posts
    At the end of the day, he is missing meatballs, the pitches in his wheelhouse that are either mid 90 fastballs or mid 80 sliders are being fouled back.
    Like you can be Kyle Schwarber and have an absolute shit recognition of the strike zone and uncomfortable swing, but if you give Schwarber a meatball, it is getting launched.

He definitely gets them, in fact (for LTBF's sake) I start mentioning them in the GDTs every time it happened during his AB and he just does not do damage with them.
    Like almost every meatball is fouled back or watched. Just look at the AB on Monday night against Adams - swings at garbage, watches the absolute meatball go by (the similar pitch that Bo cranked a HR on) and then swings at garbage again.
    So it begs to differ, what is he looking for? Why is his discipline so bad of late that he just doesn't commit to things he can drive instead of trying to make contact with every pitch in existence?

Is he 'pushing to be the hero'? Why, what in the last 140 games led him to believe this approach is heroic?
    Is he 'struggling'? Then stop with the swing happy approach - get deep into counts, take the walks, let the ones he can't drive go (until its 2 strikes and you have to protect), sit on the pitches that he can drive and then take them right center (so be late the on the swing, but drive them) - once you get comfortable, then start pulling them for HRs.

There are so many ways to address this issue with him, and at the least, get him to have competitive ABs instead of grounding out or praying for holes every AB. If their mantra to him is "keep doing what you are doing and you'll get there" after 140 games, its kind of stupid. He's 23, and on all accounts, immature as fuck in and off the field but we are going for a playoff run not fostering/building like the Os are, who have the luxury of sitting there and watching Gunnar fumble every single groundball to his side.
    Last edited by Solaxys; 09-14-2022 at 10:43 AM.
    BLUE JAYS! ~ SAY WHAT - BLUE JAYS! ~ SAY WHO - BLUE JAYS! ~ SAY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~