• TOR
    KC
    Preview
    3:07 PM ET
  • LAA
    OAK
    Preview
    4:05 PM ET
  • SF
    HOU
    Preview
    4:05 PM ET
  • DET
    BAL
    Preview
    6:10 PM ET
  • TB
    BOS
    Preview
    6:10 PM ET
  • MIA
    NYY
    Preview
    6:10 PM ET
  • WSH
    CHC
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • TEX
    SEA
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • PIT
    PHI
    Preview
    7:05 PM ET
  • NYM
    CIN
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • CWS
    CLE
    Preview
    7:10 PM ET
  • STL
    MIN
    Preview
    7:15 PM ET
  • ATL
    MIL
    Preview
    7:20 PM ET
  • ARI
    LAD
    Preview
    8:10 PM ET
  • SD
    COL
    Preview
    8:40 PM ET
Page 1052 of 1098 FirstFirst ... 5255295210021042105010511052105310541062 ... LastLast
Results 16,817 to 16,832 of 17554

Thread: Official MiLB/Prospects Thread

  1. #16817
    MVP Brownie19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wasaga Beach
    Posts
    10,736
    Thanks
    4,180
    Thanked 3,859 Times in 2,429 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    Who? Moreno?

    Prospects of this caliber don't really get moved that often anymore. If anything, they'd look to dump Jansen and even Kirk before Moreno.
    How easily we forget that Kirk tore up the minors (wRC+ in the high 150's) and owns a career wRC+ of 136 at the ML level.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brownie19 For This Useful Post:

    Spanky99 (06-23-2021)

  3. #16818
    All Star TwistedLogic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6,411
    Thanks
    1,278
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRocky View Post
    How big?

    It better be pretty special if you’re giving up Moreno.
    Quote Originally Posted by AI9764 View Post
    Don't trade Moreno pls I want a good Blue Jays catcher
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyTrombone View Post
    Nah we keepin him. Hes about to be in Vladdy/Bo company.
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    Who? Moreno?

    Prospects of this caliber don't really get moved that often anymore. If anything, they'd look to dump Jansen and even Kirk before Moreno.
    Sammy's comment came in the same time mine did so I'm almost certain he was talking about Samad Taylor and not Moreno.

    Though I'm not sure how you can expect to get a big return for Samad just yet. Way too early to tell if the breakout is real.

  4. #16819
    All Star Sammy225's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,290
    Thanks
    324
    Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,063 Posts
    I am NOT talking Moreno. I was talking Taylor. He would be the typical sell high candidate. And we have tones of Infield prospects, we would be better to use him to get pitching help.

  5. #16820
    All Star BlueRocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    5,313
    Thanks
    2,975
    Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,503 Posts
    We need premium SP and and elite BP help, not sure Samad Taylor would be enough. Sample size too small. As per Laika, he hit for no power prior to this season and was mostly known as a base burner.

  6. #16821
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 86 Times in 52 Posts
    I mean I dont think you can fake exit velo. If Taylor is consistently hitting the ball harder than he has in the past and not just hitting wall scraper after wall scraper then the power could be for real. The front office has that type of info and could make the judgement that this is for real.

  7. #16822
    All Star Sammy225's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,290
    Thanks
    324
    Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRocky View Post
    We need premium SP and and elite BP help, not sure Samad Taylor would be enough. Sample size too small. As per Laika, he hit for no power prior to this season and was mostly known as a base burner.
    I would like to see us go have Berrios. Not and premium but sold starting pitcher with Control.

  8. #16823
    Blue Chip Prospect
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 987 Times in 494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie19 View Post
    How easily we forget that Kirk tore up the minors (wRC+ in the high 150's) and owns a career wRC+ of 136 at the ML level.
    Nobody forgot - it's just that Moreno looks like the better player to "keep". It's the same or better offensive profile with better defensive upside, better athleticism, and considerably less long-term physical risk. Kirk has barely been up at the MLB level and he's already out with a long DL stint, is that shocking for a 5'8 260 pound marshmallow?

    It was a hypothetical comment - if it comes down to choosing between those two, I can almost assure yo that the FO would tab Moreno as their guy. Kirk looks like a great player himself, but you're talking about a potential Top 10-15 type prospect in Moreno.

  9. #16824
    All Star
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,641
    Thanks
    1,544
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    He had pool noodle power in previous years so this is borderline shocking to see.
    As a 19 and 20 year old he had 30 double 5 triple 10 hr power over 135 games... not exactly noodle power, but kind of the power many 25 homer guys show when they are young.

    Kind of like Alex Rios -- who was terrible in the minors, but young for his level through age 20.

    Keep in mind with all these guys we are missing the 2020 season. If Taylor had a .275, 20 hr age 21 season we'd all think of this more as a surprising but not shocking progression.
    If we don't win this year we'll win next year, if we don't win next year we'll win the year after that.

  10. #16825
    MVP Jimcanuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    13,609
    Thanks
    931
    Thanked 2,518 Times in 1,882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    Nobody forgot - it's just that Moreno looks like the better player to "keep". It's the same or better offensive profile with better defensive upside, better athleticism, and considerably less long-term physical risk. Kirk has barely been up at the MLB level and he's already out with a long DL stint, is that shocking for a 5'8 260 pound marshmallow?

    It was a hypothetical comment - if it comes down to choosing between those two, I can almost assure yo that the FO would tab Moreno as their guy. Kirk looks like a great player himself, but you're talking about a potential Top 10-15 type prospect in Moreno.
    Yes, Moreno > Kirk in terms of value at this point
    Jimcanuck does not endorse or make any warranty, express or implied, of the accuracy of any link in this post.

  11. #16826
    All Star
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,641
    Thanks
    1,544
    Thanked 1,192 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedLogic View Post
    Every minor leaguer that was ahead of Gabriel Moreno has regressed... except Gabriel Moreno.
    If he keeps it up he'll be kind of a Bo Bichette in reverse.

    Bo had an eye popping (.390) low A lansing season, then cooled off as he progressed. He hit maybe .280 in New Hampshire, .270ish in Buffalo, but he got on everyones radar because of the Lansing season... then there was no reason to take him off.

    Moreno was a little more ordinary at Lansing, but now explodes on the scene. Everyone acts surprised.

    Which way is better? Explode early? Explode late? Probably doesn't matter, you just have to take the average minor league performance if you are stat scouting, with a little more emphasis on recent performance.
    If we don't win this year we'll win next year, if we don't win next year we'll win the year after that.

  12. #16827
    Moderator Laika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    22,942
    Thanks
    1,588
    Thanked 14,233 Times in 7,614 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olerud363 View Post
    As a 19 and 20 year old he had 30 double 5 triple 10 hr power over 135 games... not exactly noodle power, but kind of the power many 25 homer guys show when they are young.

    Kind of like Alex Rios -- who was terrible in the minors, but young for his level through age 20.

    Keep in mind with all these guys we are missing the 2020 season. If Taylor had a .275, 20 hr age 21 season we'd all think of this more as a surprising but not shocking progression.
    When a player like Taylor combines mediocre ISO with low AVG and low BABIP in the minors, I tend to assume that they don't hit the ball hard.

    That may not be true all of the time. What evidently has happened with Samad Taylor is that he had pool noodle IN GAME power, most of the time, but he had okay RAW POWER that was just rarely showing up in games. Probably because of an underdeveloped hit tool.
    The Mike Wilner of BJMB

  13. #16828
    Top 100 Prospect Scion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    619
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 184 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRocky View Post
    We need premium SP and and elite BP help, not sure Samad Taylor would be enough. Sample size too small. As per Laika, he hit for no power prior to this season and was mostly known as a base burner.
    Sounds like Milwaukee Carlos Gomez with less defensive value.

  14. #16829
    Blue Chip Prospect
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 987 Times in 494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    When a player like Taylor combines mediocre ISO with low AVG and low BABIP in the minors, I tend to assume that they don't hit the ball hard.

    That may not be true all of the time. What evidently has happened with Samad Taylor is that he had pool noodle IN GAME power, most of the time, but he had okay RAW POWER that was just rarely showing up in games. Probably because of an underdeveloped hit tool.
    Most of the draft and early scouting write-up's on Taylor that I remember indicated that he had surprising pop for such a small/slightly built guy. I think what you're seeing is a change in his swing profile which has enabled if not even upscaled his power output. He seems to be hitting the ball harder and with a better launch angle. As mentioned, these HR's he's hitting aren't "incidental" - he's crushing the ball. He is also a quick-twitch/explosive athlete, and those types of guys can often unlock a lot of untapped ability if/when they figure out how to actually hit the ball optimally.

  15. #16830
    All Star L54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    6,434
    Thanks
    1,205
    Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,688 Posts
    I would move Kirk in a heart beat. Guy is a massive liability and really only has exceptional bat to ball skills.

    You can't keep all these catchers and Kirk isn't a guy you can forecast catching 100 games. He's also the one with the most present value aside from Moreno as he's a major league ready asset that could step in right away. Danny Jansen is worth nothing, Reese McGuire could've been had for free. Something has to give and my guess is it's Kirk.
    Quote Originally Posted by tercet View Post
    but bichette isn't that good rn, he has lots of holes in his swing, be prepared to be dissapointed

  16. #16831
    All Star Sammy225's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    5,290
    Thanks
    324
    Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L54 View Post
    I would move Kirk in a heart beat. Guy is a massive liability and really only has exceptional bat to ball skills.

    You can't keep all these catchers and Kirk isn't a guy you can forecast catching 100 games. He's also the one with the most present value aside from Moreno as he's a major league ready asset that could step in right away. Danny Jansen is worth nothing, Reese McGuire could've been had for free. Something has to give and my guess is it's Kirk.
    It makes sense to unload a catcher..... It seems like our system has got some that could be major league level.

  17. #16832
    Moderator Laika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    22,942
    Thanks
    1,588
    Thanked 14,233 Times in 7,614 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metafour View Post
    Most of the draft and early scouting write-up's on Taylor that I remember indicated that he had surprising pop for such a small/slightly built guy. I think what you're seeing is a change in his swing profile which has enabled if not even upscaled his power output. He seems to be hitting the ball harder and with a better launch angle. As mentioned, these HR's he's hitting aren't "incidental" - he's crushing the ball. He is also a quick-twitch/explosive athlete, and those types of guys can often unlock a lot of untapped ability if/when they figure out how to actually hit the ball optimally.
    Yeah but even those reports would have defined the "surprising" power as a 40 or 45 grade tool. He's hitting like a guy with 70+ pop right now! Leads the damn AANE in dingers and has a higher ISO than guys like Oneil Cruz, Riley Greene, and even super elite prospect Gabriel Moreno. It's kind of nuts when you think about it.

    I almost wonder if there is something funny going on in New Hampshire.... lol
    The Mike Wilner of BJMB


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •