DET
    Preview
    10:10 PM ET
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: GDT (1/4) | Blue Jays (14-12) @ Athletics (17-12) | May 3 — 9:40 PM

Thanks
    Thanked 4,382 Times in 2,578 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Tubes View Post
    I was under the impression that Shatkins are big analytics guys and Montoyo allegedly has the Rays golden touch. I know the sample size is pretty small at this point but Espinal has been a plus defender at 3rd and actually provided a bit of value with his bat whereas Panik is a negative defender at third and with the bat. 840% fielding percentage at 3rd and -2.0 def war overall before his performance tonight. At what point do you think they reward Espinal and make what certainly appears to be the correct decision and move him up in the depth chart over Panik?
    Yeah Panik, despite limited playing time, has provided the most negative defensive value at 3B the past couple of years. I could see putting Panik at 2B over Espinal but I don't think I'd play him at 3B over him.

As for the bat, I think they both suck but Panik has a better eye/bat control and bats left handed. No idea why he bats ahead of Gurriel though.

Top 100 Prospect
    Thanks
    Panik is on the team because he hits left. Thats it.

They're so obsessed with having some lefties, they dont care if the guy is actually good or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,831 Times in 9,836 Posts
    I was under the impression that Shatkins are big analytics guys and Montoyo allegedly has the Rays golden touch. I know the sample size is pretty small at this point but Espinal has been a plus defender at 3rd and actually provided a bit of value with his bat whereas Panik is a negative defender at third and with the bat. 840% fielding percentage at 3rd and -2.0 def war overall before his performance tonight. At what point do you think they reward Espinal and make what certainly appears to be the correct decision and move him up in the depth chart over Panik?
    Not anytime soon the way Charlie uses them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Danger View Post
    I love Grichuk!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Yeah Panik, despite limited playing time, has provided the most negative defensive value at 3B the past couple of years. I could see putting Panik at 2B over Espinal but I don't think I'd play him at 3B over him.

As for the bat, I think they both suck but Panik has a better eye/bat control and bats left handed. No idea why he bats ahead of Gurriel though.
    Espinal has decent enough numbers in the minors, he deserves a shot.
    I love Grichuk!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spanky99 For This Useful Post:

Deadpool (05-04-2021),saskjayfan (05-04-2021)

Just Drafted
    Thanks

Yeah I figured the lefty thing was playing a big part of it. At some point you would think management will face the fact his negative production outweighs any of the perceived benefit of his left handed bat.

As to Espinal being a shitty hitter, Maybe he will be but he has put up a roughly 115-120 wrc+ in the minors the past couple years. I don’t think it is outside the realm of possibility he could hit a little bit if given the opportunity. Small sample I know but he is putting up a 126wrc+ right now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.Tubes For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,382 Times in 2,578 Posts
    Yeah I figured the lefty thing was playing a big part of it. At some point you would think management will face the fact his negative production outweighs any of the perceived benefit of his left handed bat.

As to Espinal being a shitty hitter, Maybe he will be but he has put up a roughly 115-120 wrc+ in the minors the past couple years. I don’t think it is outside the realm of possibility he could hit a little bit if given the opportunity. Small sample I know but he is putting up a 126wrc+ right now.
    Yeah he's young enough that perhaps he could be a passable bat and we just don't know it yet. Given his track record the odds aren't in his favor but it wouldn't hurt to give him more time right now while we are so dinged up and have such shitty infield defense.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-04-2021)

Thanks
    Yeah he's young enough that perhaps he could be a passable bat and we just don't know it yet. Given his track record the odds aren't in his favor but it wouldn't hurt to give him more time right now while we are so dinged up and have such shitty infield defense.
    Yeah, and the upgrade is a plus in the field, use him while he's up here at the least.
    I love Grichuk!!

Just Drafted
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Not anytime soon the way Charlie uses them.
    Yeah it seems that way. I’ve been a pretty big fan of how the team has been constructed by Shapiro and Atkins minus a couple hiccups. Montoyo’s line ups and in game decisions however are questionable if I’m being kind. I heard that reanimated corpse Pat Tabler say on the broadcast that with all the injuries for the team to be above .500 is all on Charlie. I don’t know what these people are seeing or what i am missing with the guy. His explanations for some of his decisions amount to “I had a feeling and my asshole quivered so i dropped panik into the 5 hole tonight.”

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Tubes For This Useful Post:

Laika (05-04-2021),Spanky99 (05-04-2021)

Thanks
    lol... something like that.
    I love Grichuk!!

Thanks
    I think they brought him up too early, I guess his rehab schedule is better off up here, is what it is... *sighs*

I love Grichuk!!

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinThicc View Post
    Panik is on the team because he hits left. Thats it.

They're so obsessed with having some lefties, they dont care if the guy is actually good or not.
    This is the answer because they start Panik against RHP and Espinal against LHP despite Panik not being able to hit righties at all in the last 3-4 seasons.

Really wish they signed Brad Miller. A LH bat who can actually hit and likely isn't any worse at 3B than Panik is. Hell, even if he is, the bat would at least make up for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,498 Times in 7,236 Posts
    Panik is in a weird/frustrating place as a hitter, for me as a spectator. He seems to put the ball in play a lot on good trajectories, he just doesn't find enough grass or hit it hard enough to produce.

I can see why the team has been attracted to him as a cheap bench player the last couple of years. A left-handed hitting infielder just fits the mostly RHB roster and his xwOBA has been higher than his wOBA, showing a bit of positive regression potential. But I think it's clear at this point that he's swinging a pool noodle and it's just not going to happen. His defense has also fallen to just average.

If only Espinal was left handed...

Internally for 2021 I don't see a Panik upgrade. Most everyone is right handed. I guess Breyvic Valera is a switch hitter and could do better?

You know what, at this rate when everyone is healthy in 2022 CAVAN BIGGIO might actually be the one serving in Panik's role. Biggio would be so much better at being Joe Panik than Joe Panik.
    www.radioscouts.com

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Laika For This Useful Post:

Terminator (05-04-2021)

MVP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 891 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laika View Post
    Panik is in a weird/frustrating place as a hitter, for me as a spectator. He seems to put the ball in play a lot on good trajectories, he just doesn't find enough grass or hit it hard enough to produce.

I can see why the team has been attracted to him as a cheap bench player the last couple of years. A left-handed hitting infielder just fits the mostly RHB roster and his xwOBA has been higher than his wOBA, showing a bit of positive regression potential. But I think it's clear at this point that he's swinging a pool noodle and it's just not going to happen. His defense has also fallen to just average.

If only Espinal was left handed...

Internally for 2021 I don't see a Panik upgrade. Most everyone is right handed. I guess Breyvic Valera is a switch hitter and could do better?

You know what, at this rate when everyone is healthy in 2022 CAVAN BIGGIO might actually be the one serving in Panik's role. Biggio would be so much better at being Joe Panik than Joe Panik.
    Panik and Espinal are both very similar hitters in that neither strike out much. Espinal is a much better defender though. I'm ready to see a run of Espinal. He may have a bit more pop in his bat than I expect. With the lefty on tonight, he should get the start.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,554 Times in 2,211 Posts
    Panik analysis in full flight.

Its simple for me. We know what Panik is, & since 2016 he has been a below avg LHH hitter. He sucks at 3B.

Espinal is young with some potential offensive upside and plus D. You guys have looked at his D numbers im sure.

I just can't stand watching Panik play. Its like there is no hope. He isn't awful but he is what he is. Would much rather give Espinal a full shot and takes me chances. On this team, with our pitching staff, plugging the gaps on D is going to be hugely important.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BigCecil For This Useful Post:

Spanky99 (05-04-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saskjayfan View Post
    Panik and Espinal are both very similar hitters in that neither strike out much. Espinal is a much better defender though. I'm ready to see a run of Espinal. He may have a bit more pop in his bat than I expect. With the lefty on tonight, he should get the start.
    Who's DHing? I'd rather see neither...
    I love Grichuk!!

Big Leaguer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky99 View Post
    Who's DHing? I'd rather see neither...
    Pretty sure Panik will get the nod as DH again lol